AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few remarks floating around about problems people have had with a combination of M-Audio (revo, delta's) cards and Intel 845 chipsets.

I myself was having a problem with this combination (until my power supply went dead, at which point I had a different problem).

I'd like to invite and request others who have combined M-Audio cards with Intel 845 chipsets to share their experiences here so that we can see if there's a pattern to some of the difficulties.

My situation:

M-Audio Delta 410. Works flawlessly on my workstation: Intel Xeon 1.4Ghz 850 chipset (Dell Precision 530 on Win2k server).

On my new HTPC, I have horrible distortion: Intel D845PESVL mobo with P4 2.66 GHz 533FSB w/DDR 2700 RAM (512 MB). Changing IRQs switching in and out of APCI, various M-Audio drivers, removal of all non-essential hardware, nothing helps.

What's everybody else hearing?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I'm curious about: does anybody with a 533 MHz FSB and DDR 2700 RAM have a functional 410?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
One thing I'm curious about: does anybody with a 533 MHz FSB and DDR 2700 RAM have a functional 410?
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 works with 533 FSB and DDR 2700.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morbius, thanks... WinXP? What motherboard/processor are you using?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, purplehalf.

Does anybody have a setup closer to mine?

Delta 410

845PE chipset (Intel D845PESVL)

P4 2.66 GHz (533MHz FSB)

DDR 2700 (333MHz)

WinXP

I would think that, though there may not be someone w/an Intel board, at least there must be an Asus P4PE user out there with these specs?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I have an P4 2.4b, Asus P4PE, 512MB of memory (I think it's PC2700 but I'm not 100% sure). My Delta 410 is working just find under WinXP SP1, DX9a, and the beta M-Audio drivers. The P4PE is a "best of breed" motherboard that has been widely recommended, if there were an across-the-board compatibility problem between the 845pe chipset and M-Audio cards, I would think we would have heard something about it before now.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your board FSB is running at 533MHz then I'm out one theory. I wonder what would happen if I moved over to the Asus.

Thanks, Jeff.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm using a Delta 410 on a Asus P4PE clocked at 533 MHz (with 256Mb of PC3000 memory)... no problems at all here

Eiffel

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an Intel D845PEBT2 mobo with an intel 2.4ghz processor. Waking up out of hibernation the sound is always dead with a revo. I have to reboot to get sound. It's annoying.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All, thanks.

vkk, perhpas our problems are related, but on the other hand it seems like my theory about the chipset and FSB speed is pretty much toast.

Once I get a new power supply I'll dig back into it. I would be really psyched if anybody with an Intel D845PE(SVL) board could chime in, but it seems to be a bit of a rare bird on the forum. Perhaps there's a reason?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have a D845PESVL with M-Audio Revo on XP SP1 working OK.

I haven't tried hybernate/standby yet or DTS/DD passthrought but music playing with JRiver MediaCenter works fine.

I'll do a bit more playing around in the coming days and let you know.

Eric.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eric,

Glad you have the same board as me... and that it's handling a Revo just fine! A couple questions:

1) what processor do you have in there?

2) RAM at 333MHz?

3) are you using the analog outs?

As far as I can tell, this board doesn't let you disable ACPI in BIOS. Did you install XP in default Uniprocessor ACPI mode or did you go with Standard PC?

TIA!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Using P4 2.4Ghz

I believe I'm running the RAM at 333MHz but I'll double check that.

I did not change many setting in the BIOS, does not remember changing anything talking about ACPI.

I haven't tried the analog out yet, only connected using the coax digital out.

Also I just did a quick test playing a song in MediaCenter, send the machine to standby, as soon as I wake up playing resumes and sound is OK.

However, going to hybernate then restart, NO sound at all. Played with different settings in the Revo panel, no way to get any sound out.

If I then switch MediaCenter to use the on-board analog out, this works fine but going back to Revo, no sound anymore.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Eric.

I now realize that my previous post was the first in which I stated the use of the analog out. I wonder if the DAC is at all affected by system settings and/or MOBO/bios and/or FSB and RAM speeds? I would think that the DAC is the DAC is the DAC no matter what the rest of the machine is doing.... in other words, that analog/digital distinction is a non-starter in this case?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Double checked: FSB 533, RAM 333

ACPI is set to level S1 or something, believe it's the default value.

Also note that I flashed my BIOS since I bought the MOBO, it's now SV84510A.86A.0011.P07

I'll try analog out tomorrow if I have some time but I don't think either this should be an issue (but who knows).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to BIOS level P08 very early on. I wonder if this did me in? I don't recall listening to the card before doing that. I wonder if I can downgrade?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2.26 MHz p4 on the GERGL board with 533MHz.

I have been having two sets of problems. I working with M-Audio tech support they indicate their cards (Dio and Revo in my case) do not support any sleep states and that they all need to be turned off via the power applet in control panel for XP.

I also cannot get these boards to work with XP Pro Remote Control which I would like to use for an audio server. Haven't found a solution to this one.

If anyone knows of one or remote control software that works with M-Audio and MusicMatch I would love to know.

Jan Gullett

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jan Gullett
I have a 2.26 MHz p4 on the GERGL board with 533MHz.

I have been having two sets of problems. I working with M-Audio tech support they indicate their cards (Dio and Revo in my case) do not support any sleep states and that they all need to be turned off via the power applet in control panel for XP.

I also cannot get these boards to work with XP Pro Remote Control which I would like to use for an audio server. Haven't found a solution to this one.

If anyone knows of one or remote control software that works with M-Audio and MusicMatch I would love to know.

Jan Gullett
Girder

Pleas keep it to 1 thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.