Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was thinking of buying this card
M-Audio

But I plan on buying an Asus P4PE motherboard with SPDIF Digital out option board. Which would you recommend? I think the quality of this card is superior to the Asus but I am only passing a digital signal so really the card seems to be overkill for what I need. One thing I could do is build a HTPC receiver down the road and connect an external amplifier since this card can do 7.1 decoding.

I would love to hear of others experiences with this sound card and if it is worth the money. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Cliffk3,

My HTPC also uses the P4PE, and I was using optical out to drive a receiver. In addition, I've ripped all my CDs to high-quality MP3s and play them through 4am Music Console. That works and sounds pretty good. However, the onboard audio upsamples the 44.1 Kbps PCM stream to 48 Kbps. In other words, it won't do simple audio passthrough, there's always going to be some change to the digital stream.

CompUSA has a deal going where the Revo card is $65 after rebate. For that price I decided to give it a try and am now waiting for it to be delivered. I don't know if I'll hear the difference, maybe the upsampling errors are inaudible, but the M-Audio is cheap enough to add it to my HTPC.

So, to summarize, the onboard audio works just fine, for both CDs and DVDs. No problems there. If you don't want the upsampling of PCM streams you'll need another audio card though.

-Rob-

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rop! I just wanted a reason to buy the card because I was aware of the sale and thought it was a good buy. My brother paid $150 for a cheaper M-Audio card so $65 is a good price.

I wanted to stay away from the Creative Labs cards because of complaints reported here on the board about the SPDIF digital audio. I guess it is a similar problem to the one your describing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
405 Posts
SPDIF OUT IS ALL THE SAME EVEN IF YOUR SOUND CARD COST 200$. IF IT WORKS FROM THE MOTHERBOARD SPDIF OUT THEN YOU ARE LUCKY. ALL SPDIF OUT DRIVERS (ALC650 CODEC ETC) HAVE AN OPTION OF EITHER 48KHZ(DTS DD) OR 44KHZ FOR CD PCM PC SOUNDS ETC TO CHOOSE. SEE MY POST http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247144

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.