AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on how to spend my money wisely.

I would like better sound and more control over it.

I have a cheap DD/DTS Kenwood receiver (VR-407), and was wondering if I buy a M-Audio Revo and feed it analog, would this help?

Or should I buy a new receiver (Kenwood 6070) and just use the digital out of my nforce2 board?

I've also heard that certain dvd players won't work with the Revo and analog. Is this true?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should clarify-

Right now I have a digital connection to the VR407. Sounds just ok.

I've heard the 6070 with a digital connection. Night and day difference. True 92w of power, low THD accross the board, 80Hz crossover, CSII, etc. Only $380.

I know neither is an optimal solution, but I'm trying to save a few bucks of buying a new receiver right now and thought that the Revo might be a solution.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, the Outlaw 1050 is FAR better musically than the Kenwood.

That 92W is meaningless without knowing the current.

65W/channel on the outlaw is plenty of power and an enourmous improvement over the Kenwood you're running now.

Check it out for $399 at www.outlawaudio.com (no tax, hehe)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I just installed the M-Audio Revo this weekend and replaced the SPDIF input to my mid-fi Onkyo (676) with analog into in its 5 channel inputs. After minimal tweaking I would say that the sound is definitely better this way! It also freed up a digital input on the Onkyo for my X-box. Drew

·
Registered
134 Posts
What speakers do you have hooked up on your receiver? There's no point in buying a better amp if your speakers sounds just bad. You might just be better off using the revo analog out and putting that money on better speakers.

I have big doubts over kenwood power rating and how they measure it. Claiming a receiver being 500w capable while it's measured with only one channel driven at a time......and add to the fact that the PSU could only draw about 2amps tops makes me wonder...

I owned a VR-406 and while I was happy with what I paid for back then it just didn't came close to the specified specs. Don't know if kenwood improved a lot since then but I doubt it....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speakers are just fine. Actually great.

Should probably do some searches on the 6070, here and at hometheaterforum. I have yet to find a complaint. The 92w per channel has been verified by many.

Haven't found much complaint about the Revo either.

Just don't know how they would sound back to back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.