AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my HTPC about six months ago and have not really used it for audio except to pass the digital onto the receiver. I have a Sony ES receiver that was bought knowing it would be replaced as soon as possible. I've added an external 7 channel amp and really wanting to get rid of the ES all together. Every thing I've read points me in the direction of buying a Lexicon MC-8 or 12 for Logic7.

1) What algorithm would my Delta 410 card use to matrix to 7.1?

2) Will it matrix any source to 7.1?

3) Is there a command line or simple way to switch between TheaterTek, the digital input and the analog input?

4) I'm worried that if I hook up the sound card directly to the amp Windows will send out some nasty full volume tone that will fry my speakers: Is this a valid concern?

5) Has anyone experimented with or thought about building a passive buffered preamp for all eight channels for better output capabilities?

6) What driver should I be using for the Delta 410?

7) What formats can't be decoded by the 410 used with TheaterTek?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use a lexicon DC-1 with a m-audio DIO 2496 using SPIDF output. Both 5.1 and DTS work well using TT for DVD. This is handled well by the Lexicon in all the various formats it has.

Joel

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You must love Harman Kardon very much to buy an MC-8 or MC-12 just to get Logic7.

Is the Logic 7 in the $500 AVR130 any different?

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
727 Posts
Logic 7 even cheaper here .

On a more serious note, I use MC-12B for the lastcouple of years and after a while, (although Logic 7 is best performing) I found listening stereo sources in surround expansion modes more of a blurring experience, and on many occasions a tiring one.

Unless this is definitely your 'cup of tea' it maybe better to spend your money on something else.

I also have Delta 410 in an nother system connected directly to 6 Genelec active speakers (and three subs). The only surprising 'full volume tone' does not actually comes from Windows but it comes from Delta410 itself on power up/down sequences. Unlike some other cards Delta410 does not protect analogue outputs from spikes during start up. For this reason I keep this machine on continuously (its been on for the last 18months). This of course is not a solution if you have a frequent general power loss.

Delta410 uses Circle Surround II algorithm for surround expansion and, given its price, it produces truly astonishing results. I definitely recommend exploring it before jumping for Logic 7. My set-up recreated rear-centre channel from rear left/right.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got ahead of myself earlier.

Delta410 does not have in-built CSII. It is WMP9 that have CSII plug-in that works well with Delta410. However, the overall cleanness of the sound is mangled by kmixer as WMP9 does not have ASIO option and Delta410 driver does not avoid it. Sorry for confusion.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I leave my equipment on so regular power up/down is not an issue. I'll just turn the amp off during power up or down.

Does anyone know the answer to #3 or #6??

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Branxx
On a more serious note, I use MC-12B for the lastcouple of years and after a while, (although Logic 7 is best performing) I found listening stereo sources in surround expansion modes more of a blurring experience, and on many occasions a tiring one.
IMO more of a blurring & muting experience. Switching back to stereo mode one can clearly hear the sound "jump out" more loud & clear. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.