AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Has anyone actually put a device in their system and listened to it? I haven't seen any reviews of it yet.

It looks very very intriguing

kiwi

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greenkiwi
Has anyone actually put a device in their system and listened to it? I haven't seen any reviews of it yet.

It looks very very intriguing

kiwi
Funny you should ask at this time because I received a FW 410 yesterday for testing. I told Kei today that it would stay in my audio system to replace the Revo 7.1 that I have been using.

So far I have tested the PCM playback routed to the optical output in the mixer and Redbook CD audio quality is excellent. I'm waiting on the Zektor 6 channel analog switch before placing it into my analog system with SACD abd DVD-audio player.

The FW 410 has front and back stereo inputs but can use only one at a time. The front input has a preamp (for each channel) for use with low line level voltage devices and does an excellent job of increasing the low volume from my XM Satellite radio. It also has dual headphone output with individual volume controls.

The front analog inputs also function as a mic input/preamp and instrument input/preamp with volume controls and clip indicator.

The box is small (9.24"x7"x2") but is heavy due to the thick steel construction. I'm currently powering the FW 410 thru a 6-pin firewaire connector to the HTPC. For a 5-pin connection it comes with an external power supply.

After I receive the necessary cables (with 1/4" plugs) and switch box I'll try using the software package that came with the product to do some recording.

I did find one small problem (big problem to most HT people) and that is some audio dropout with AC-3 from software DVD players. Talked to an engineer today about that and he indicated that it may be the 25th bit (what ever that is) causing AC-3 dropout and that can be fixed in the driver.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
I've been playing with the Firewire 410 most of the day and found some very nice feature. For example members have been asking about multi-zone audio from a HTPC so I hooked up the FW 410 and found I could do 5 different zones. Four zones are from the 8 (4 pair) of 1/4" output jacks and the 5th is using S/PDIF optical output.

The 4 analog zones are powered by 4 seperate Winamp players and the optical output is routing the stereo analog input from my XM Sat Radio to my main surround sound system. I also was able to decode DTS CD audio 5.1 and remix to stereo PCM for burning to normal CD.

Here is a screen shot with all 5 zones going.

http://www.nabs.net/cwatson53/FW410.jpg

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like quite a nice device. I'm in the process of figuring out what card to get for my audio system. Right now, I'm wavering between the RME HDSP 9632, Lynx L22, and the M-Audio FW410.

They all have their pluses and minuses, maybe I can find a place that will give me a 30 day money back guarantee on the devices, then I'll just get them all, listen to them all and return the two that I don't like as much.

I really like the fact that the FW-410 can be placed at a distance from one's PC. That could help remove PC noise from the equation and being external to the box, it may have less electrical noise.

I wonder whether the sound quality improves when you set it up w/ an external power supply vs. getting the power from firewire.

kiwi

Edit: btw... I am psyched to hear that box is nice solid metal. It looked like it might be plastic. Glad to hear otherwise.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I also received my FW-410 and I can say that I am very pleased with the playback quality, much better than my SB Audigy2 :). Question for Cliff I am unable to pass DD or DTS from TT. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Govnah
I also received my FW-410 and I can say that I am very pleased with the playback quality, much better than my SB Audigy2 :). Question for Cliff I am unable to pass DD or DTS from TT. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Govnah,

I have the same problem with TT that I have yet to resolve. At first all software DVD players (including TT) had audio dropouts (S/PDIF unlock) and with PowerDVD 4.0 Pro and WinDVD 4/WinDVD 4 Platinum I was able to fix by increasing the ASIO/WDM Buffers from 256 to 512 samples. However, this did nothing for TT even with buffers increased to 1024 samples.

Unlike PowerDVD and WinDVD, TT uses pure DirectShow filters which may have a problem with Firewire soundcards. When USB cards where released they had the same problem and that required a QFE from Microsoft to fix.

BTW, I'm able to play the 24/96 PCM and DTS 24/96 tracks on DVD-audio with WinDVD.

BTW#2, There is a note in the readme about problems with NEC 1394 chipsets. I've checked TT DVD playback with 2 Firewire controllers with the same results (VIA & TI chipsets).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
BTW, I'm able to play the 24/96 PCM and DTS 24/96 tracks on DVD-audio with WinDVD.

Is this mean FW410 is fully DVD-A capable? Wau! This great. Um.. how come no one get excited?

Anyway Cliff,

With analog output, does FW410 have all the sub woofers control like Revo?

Are you connecting the FW410 to you amp directly without preamp? How is the output volume like?

TIA,

Sam

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Sam,

It does not mean that FW410 is fully DVD-audio capable. The DVD-a MLP tracks are blocked in the player menu. But it can play the 24/96 PCM tracks.

FW410 was designed to be a pro-recording product and does not have the bass management of Revo and other multichannel Delta cards. IMO a better solution is to combine the FW410 with an Outlaw ICBM unit between the 410 and power amp(s).

The output volume is higher than Revo and the VU meters go all the way to 0.0 dB. The mic/line inputs on the front of the FW410 have preamps with volume control and a clip indicator to prevent over driving the DACs.

FW410 is a pro-product and as such the output voltage is at 0.0dB where an unbalanced output should be. Revo is a consumer product and has output at -10dBV.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the info, Cliff!

Would M-Audio FireWire 410 be able to work concurrently in recording mode with say an M-Audio Transit USB and / or another soundcard's mic in, to simultaneously record several audio channels (in Syntrillium CoolEdit Pro or SoundForge software or perhaps any other)?

I would also really appreciate if you could comment, however informally, regarding how you think the mic preamp + A/D converter quality might compare on the 401 vs. Transit USB, in practical / audible terms (in "silly, non-audiophile, audible quality %" terms, where the perfect preamp is 100% and M-Audio DMP3 is, say, 85% and my laptop's built in mic-in is, say, 40%).

Related: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=303696

Thanks!

Alec

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Would M-Audio FireWire 410 be able to work concurrently in recording mode with say an M-Audio Transit USB and / or another soundcard's mic in, to simultaneously record several audio channels (in Syntrillium CoolEdit Pro or SoundForge software or perhaps any other)?â€

Alec,

I don’t think so. There is a note in the readme stating that at this time FW410 supports only one device.

â€I would also really appreciate if you could comment, however informally, regarding how you think the mic preamp + A/D converter quality might compare on the 401 vs. Transit USB, in practical / audible terms (in "silly, non-audiophile, audible quality %" terms, where the perfect preamp is 100% and M-Audio DMP3 is, say, 85% and my laptop's built in mic-in is, say, 40%).â€

I will have to defer that question to someone that actually owns a microphone. The only mic I own is attached to my real time audio spectrum analyzer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks, Cliff!

RE: owning a microphone: a valid comment; this could indeed be a comprehensive test. That said, however, subjective comments by anyone who is in the know & could help, based on what components the preamps and ADC's in FireWire 410 and Transit USB are made of, and/or just feeding a low-level signal to be boosted by a preamp, would be great.

RE: note in the readme stating that at this time FW410 supports only one device:

Do they mean just one FireWire 410 device on the system (i.e. multiple FireWire 410's could not be hooked up, but other audio devices, like a Transit USB or a built in sound card, could work concurrently), or FireWire 410, if hooked up, should be the sole sound recording device on the system and all the rest should be disconnected / disabled for FireWire 410 to work?

Alec

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.