AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this question may be answered somewhere but I really need someone to give me a complete by tomorrow morning
Pressed for time. I know with all the smart people here they could some it up quick so thanks to all in advance.

Question 1: Can I create a HDMI cable out of in wall already CAT6 wires just the tips?

Question 2: Can I have a PC Media Center running in basement alone and have the cat6 HDMI cable run about 80 feet away and still work the same way HDMI is intended with High def audio and video?

Question 3: assuming the above is correct. I have three bedrooms each want a HD media center hooked to the TV with out the MC visible at all. Can I store 3 MC computers in the basement and use cat 6 cables (made into HDMI) deliver the video from each pc to the rooms I wire them to, as if the tower was right there beside the TV

Question 4: How can I control each of these devices from the rooms when the TOWER is about 80 feet away (the longest run). I know my android phone can do this but it isn’t practical for this house. Harmony remote can run that far. What is the best and cheapest
way to do this? Have some type of controller in each room that works up to 80 feet away. The walls are still accessible if I need to run more wire but again they don’t want to see anything but TV and the TVs are on the walls.

Question 5: Should i be running any other wires at this time? Just in case?


Also have 6 in ceiling speakers with wires run down to were m.c pc's are or i can move them to each tv.


I really would like to stay away from $900.00 ipads in each room, android? Still open for any suggestions no matter what it is..


I really appreciate any help anyone has, thanks again



The M.C will be running XBMC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
I don't consider myself an expert in this field what so ever, but I've been doing a lot of reading. Plus the fact that your using XBMC made me feel like I ought to at least try to help. I actually just got my parts in for an XBMC and I'm in the process of putting Dharma RC2 on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010 /forum/post/19648605

Question 1: Can I create a HDMI cable out of in wall already CAT6 wires just the tips??

Yes, I believe you can. This is where HDMI over Cat5/6 comes into play. From what I have read there are matrixes and adapters to get this done.

This is a wall plate adapter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010 /forum/post/19648605

Question 2: Can I have a PC Media Center running in basement alone and have the cat6 HDMI cable run about 80 feet away and still work the same way HDMI is intended with High def audio and video?

Yup, without a doubt. You just have to worry about controling it from that distance, which is about to come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010 /forum/post/19648605

Question 3: assuming the above is correct. I have three bedrooms each want a HD media center hooked to the TV with out the MC visible at all. Can I store 3 MC computers in the basement and use cat 6 cables (made into HDMI) deliver the video from each pc to the rooms I wire them to, as if the tower was right there beside the TV

Yup, I think that was the same as question 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010 /forum/post/19648605

Question 4: How can I control each of these devices from the rooms when the TOWER is about 80 feet away (the longest run). I know my android phone can do this but it isn’t practical for this house. Harmony remote can run that far. What is the best and cheapest
way to do this? Have some type of controller in each room that works up to 80 feet away. The walls are still accessible if I need to run more wire but again they don’t want to see anything but TV and the TVs are on the walls.

I'm buying an older iPod touch to control mind because I like the touch screen combined with the user interface. You can get one of those for each of the rooms. If not, you can stick what ever IR/RF remote you want to use. The key here is to make sure it's compatible with XBMC. If it is, from there it's just a matter of getting the signal from your room to the computer. As you discovered with your Android phone, you can control it through your wifi network straight to the networked connected computer. If you are using an IR remote, you're going to want to purchase IR extenders which allows you to put an IR receiver next to the TV. It transmits the signal to an IR emitter placed next to the IR receiver on your computer. So it basically acts like the computer is in the room next to you instead of downstairs. If you are going the RF route, they have RF extenders. And they have wireless versions of these as well if you don't want to run anymore wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010 /forum/post/19648605

Question 5: Should i be running any other wires at this time? Just in case?

If you want to futureproof, just run two (or more) CAT6 and an RG6 cable to each spot. Pretty much anything can be converted to use those cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010 /forum/post/19648605


Also have 6 in ceiling speakers with wires run down to were m.c pc's are or i can move them to each tv.?

If you are going for the clean look, I would buy an audio receiver and put it where the computers are. Output the computers audio into and connect the speaker wires to it. Control it the same way you plan on controling the computers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010 /forum/post/19648605


I really would like to stay away from $900.00 ipads in each room, android?

I'm assuming this is refering back to the controls. If you want to use tablets, you can always grab the cheap Android tablets coming from China regularly going for $85-$200.


Good luck with your build!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
If you're able to run cables, definitely run at least 2, better 3 Cat5e/Cat6 cables to each TV location. There are plenty of HDMI-over-Cat5/6 devices, but ones that run over a single cat6 cable are considerably more expensive (for now).


Depending on the flexibility you want, either individual repeaters, or an HDMI Matrix over Cat5/6 would be in order. Many of the matrix switch solutions include IR repeating for handing remote control.


For your ceiling speakers, you should follow the standard practice of looping the speaker wire through a potential volume control / keypad location in the room, and by all means add a cat5 cable to that keypad location so you can use any number of cool whole-house audio systems...


Assuming you're able to run wire, read the Wiring your House 101 and 102 guides over at Cocoontech.com before you go to bed.



Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how now 3:00 am here and still reading and learning. Thanks a ton to both of you for the quick replies. You shed alot of light on it for me in a short period. Now if i went with a android tablet in each room i can control stuff over wireless with xbmc.


Now the cat 5e loop for future pad control, is that to like control the audio tuner itself or...?????


When i turn a cat6 into hdmi i dont just buy a plug and connect the wires to it? You same with 1 wire it cost more to get the adapter but with 2 or 3 cat 6 the adapter is cheaper. I take it is more then just pairing the wires to hdmi adapter is there some sort of conversion being done in this thing?

Thanks


is this the only thing i need to make one cat6 cable into hdmi, above posted link and just round 18.00?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Can i attach the hdmi conversion into a keystone jack? ok time for bed..... ZZZZzzzzzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash2010
how now 3:00 am here and still reading and learning. Thanks a ton to both of you for the quick replies. You shed alot of light on it for me in a short period. Now if i went with a android tablet in each room i can control stuff over wireless with xbmc.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't base my wiring decisions that will affect your choices for years to come based on one potential usage model...

Quote:
Now the cat 5e loop for future pad control, is that to like control the audio tuner itself or...?????
The cat5e run from each control pad location to a central point (same as the speaker wires) is for controlling any of the whole-house audio or automation systems. The cable in most cases would carry signals in both directions, and also supply DC power to the control pad. You really, really want that wire in place for the future.

Quote:
When i turn a cat6 into hdmi i dont just buy a plug and connect the wires to it? You same with 1 wire it cost more to get the adapter but with 2 or 3 cat 6 the adapter is cheaper. I take it is more then just pairing the wires to hdmi adapter is there some sort of conversion being done in this thing?
There are 'passive' HDMI baluns and wallplates, which will require 2 cat5/6 cables and may work - but the longer the run, the less likely that will suffice. There are 'active' baluns that 'convert' the signals or multiplex them, require power to operate, and will go over much longer distances. There are active solutions that will work with one cable, but the electronics are more sophisticated, and the solution is more useful - so they cost more. Think $400-600 for a single-wire solution, ~$200-300 for a double-wire active solution.

Quote:
is this the only thing i need to make one cat6 cable into hdmi, above posted link and just round 18.00?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Can i attach the hdmi conversion into a keystone jack? ok time for bed..... ZZZZzzzzzz
No, that is a double-wire passive balun. Many people have used that successfully around here, but it's passive, and requires 2 cables.


Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i see that can be expensive.....


So 2 cat 6 wires would be about 200/300 to make hdmi, but if i add 3 will it get cheaper, i really would research this myself normaly but like i said i am pressed for time.


Does it make any difference if i use cat 5e or cat 6 for this.. i have both and will use cat6 but still wanted to know th diff.



I will def run the cat 5e wire for the pads, it only makes sense. Will be harder later with the walls up lol
thanks buddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
 Here's another source with a good selection of CAT5/6-HDMI adapters, some using one CAT5/6 cable and some using two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Two cat6 is probably best for HDMI. I suggested a third for "something else" that you'll probably find a use for, other than HDMI (none of the solutions require more than 2 cables per run). Ethernet connection to the TV, for example. Again, wire is cheap and will never be easy to get in the walls later, so some extra is worth it.


Jeff
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top