AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

M&K 5000 THX Speaker System

1069 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  uncle eric
Hi folks,

I am wondering if anyone has either reviewed for themselves or know of a review of M&K's 5000 THX satellite speakers. I know these speakers are expensive ($1299 list for each one) and you see them used in some very high-end systems, but no reviews.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

------------------

Greg
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Greg,

When I was looking to upgrade to M&K I listened to the 5000 set up for the best part of an hour. I listened to CD's I brought along with me that I knew well. I did the same with Movie material....During the last 15 minutes I was trying to work out which is the easiest bank in London to robb, and where I can buy a mask and gun......Man I'll tell you, they were nothing less than incredible!...I have listened to set ups costing 5 and 10 times more...absolute crap compared to these babes. All that fancy styling, woodwork etc etc, just a load of nonsence....Anyway, I could actually feel the sound waves going through my hair during certain soundtracks. These things have the dynamics of a nuclear reactor!

They were just so clean and crstal clear....Most other high and top end speakers just sound wolly in the lows and brittle and harsh in the highs. I suppose that as with all full range speakers, they are loaded with compromises. Anyway back to the 5000 set up. Unfortunatly, in the UK their cost is much higher at around 2000 dollars each, so I settled for the M&K 150 system. Unfortunatly is the wrong word though, as I am very very happy and cannot really see myself upgrading till god knows when....maybe never...I'm that Happy.

good luck

Eric
See less See more
Greg,

I think I responded to you on the SMR Forum.

I have the S5000THX's in my demo theater. I did a ton of research before making a final decision. My passion is home theater and the M&K's are outstanding in my theater.

Every single day I marvel at the system.

------------------

Irv Kelman

We are THX Certified.
See less See more
OK guys,

I'm getting excited now - I found a dealer that has them set-up. I'm going to give them a good listening too with both music and movies. If I like them as much as both of you, I'll have to find a way to come up with the cash - I don't think I'll resort to bank robbing though.

How close does the 150 system come to the S-5000THX? Is the difference very noticeable? In what areas does the 150 system fall short of the S-5000THX? It's a lot of money, so it's got to be worth the difference.

Thanks for responding - greatly appreciate your opinions,

Greg

------------------

Greg
See less See more
Greg,

Physicaly speaking they are around twice the size of the 150's though dont assume that they are monsters, they are not. However, they are not that fancy to look at either. Very clean lines but fairly ordinary looking, they wont win any beauty contests.

Now, heres the important part, how do they sound in comparison to the 150's. Well, here goes (this is going to hurt, I'm dribbling with envey), they have an incredible ultra fast transient response, they also sound a lot more full bodied, they have even more punch, the depth of the sound stage is also far larger.Also, for the first time, I was able to not only place instruments and vocals at precise locations across the soundstage, but I was astounded to find that I could detect that certain instruments and singers were nearer or further from the main soundstage, that the recording actually had disernable depth. Some how, these things have even more pin point precision and definition than my 150's. Basicly they blew my mind full stop. Though I am happy with the 150 set up, which by the way I consider to be second only to the 5000 system, I consider the 5000 set up as the holy grail in sound systems.

Greg, what really is a shame is that the M&K range is viewed upon by the wood veneer loving, fancy italion styling loving, easily impressed by all things visually fancy, psuedo high end Hi Fi buff as JUST ANOTHER SET OF VIDEO SPEAKERS. My god, if they ever gave these things a listen, they would throw all that stuff out into the garbage truck. I've had fancy B&W's, KEF's, JBL's, man you name it i've probably owned them at one time or another. I wouldent trade the whole lot for my 150 set up.

Do what I did and take some well recorded stuff that you know inside out. I will bet my bottom dollar (or pound) that you will go home with these speakers and marry them!

ps. Like the 150's they need a few weeks to flex their muscles, but boy I'll tell you, they sound sweeter and sweeter with every listen. Just AWSOME.

good luck

Eric

pps. how much is your dealer asking, if the price is right, maybe I wont need to rob a bank to.
See less See more
Uncle Eric,

Thanks for the in-depth review and comparison - now I really got to listen to them. I'm not so sure I'll marry them - my wife might get jealous! Honey, be quiet, my sweethearts over here are singing to me.

The dealer quoted me 1299.00 US dollars for each one - now that' M&K's list price. I didn't try negotiating..... yet!

Thanks again and sorry for having you relive such a painful experience,

Greg

------------------

Greg
See less See more
Greg,

Your most welcome. Please post me your opinion after you have auditioned the 5000 set up and let us know how you got on.

By the way Alan Gouger of AVScience gave me some good prices for M&K gear (they were much better than the list price) so its definately worth getting a price from Alan.

good luck

Eric

ps. I know a good divorce lawer.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.