AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of purchasing m&k's for my HT system, which includes a denon 3803.

What do you think of m&K? Would you go with the older 750 model or the newer 850 model?

What is a good price for each 750 speaker? for the 850?

Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
M&K and Denon are a great pair. The Denon's easily handle the 4 ohm M&K load. You'll live the combo!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have the 750's and love them, I would take the 850's

over the 750's just for the look. I love the cherry 850's.

The 850's are not thx certified, but who cares?

Call M&K directly they will give you great service and advice!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.

Any advice re the purchase price? The salesman is willing to negotiate. I just want to ask for a price that is fair for him and fair for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good friend of mine has the 850 setup. I'm simply amazed at how good it sounds considering the price point and size of these speakers. You won't be sorry if your room is a suitable size (i.e. not too large).

JustBob.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TP1, I just ordered my 750 system and paid $2400 + tax for:

750 L/C/R

V1250 sub

S55 tripoles (the upgrade is worth it)

As a side note I will be also getting the tall stands for the L/R units and the wall mounts for $357 + tax.

·
Registered
198 Posts
sorry to chime in late on this, but i was looking purchasing that set up and was quoted around 2g for almost the same set up (the set up was with the original surrounds for the 750 system, but with an upgraded sub... i'm pretty sure that u could have downgraded the sub if u wanted and upgraded the surrounds).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't know if I'll get any bites on this old thread but I too am considering purchasing the 750 Mk II setup. The dealer suggested the 750 L/C/R and the S55 Tripole for surrounds. However, they are asking $2,000 with no sub. I don't need the sub because I have an SVS 20-39PCi. Considering this is an older model with no subwoofer what do you think would be a more reasonable asking price?

I ask because if I go with the M&K setup I will be forced to buy a new receiver. My Denon 1803 won't cut it. It will, however, most likely cut it if I went with the Paradigm System 6 rather than the M&K.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still here. Basis the previous information, jon_k had the better deal. Personally, I paid around $1600 - $1700 before tax for the set up you are asking about.

You are right in that you will have to upgrade the receiver. I bought a pioneer 47tx from tweeter at blowout pricing. Sounds great. On the less expensive side, you could go with an NAD 752 if you can find it. I tried this out and it really and it drove the M7K's fairly well.

For reference my local shop had a new "open box" for $630.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've read several people say the Denon 3803 would suffice. You wouldn't happen to have heard one driving them would you? I only ask because I have been pleased with my current Denon. Knowing nothing about HT makes it easier to go with something I have had good luck with.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
ClutchBrake,

I was in your identical place when I was considering purchasing the M&K setup. I demoed the 3803 with tracks like "Matrix", "U571", "LOTR" and I was satisfied with the sound in the dealers demo room. I had two concerns with the 3803:

1) How will they perform with 4 ohm speakers? - I never blasted the volume to reference levels so I do not know at what level the receiver will clip. You will get mixed messages in the forum but the 3803 is not rated for a 4 ohm load.

2) I do not have ideal dimensions in my HT room (open in the back) - Since I am not an HT expert, I purchased the pioneer which has auto- calibration which did wonders for my awkward room.

My general conclusion from the AVS archives is the the decoding in the 3803 is excellent. If you like the Denon sound and find that you absolutely need more power, mate it with an outlaw 7100 external amp and your home free. Thought - can you add an external amp to the 1803?

Do some research on 4 ohm loads and you will get to see users views on the NAD's and upper level pioneers which also do a great job.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Valvear
Thought - can you add an external amp to the 1803?
I typed the wrong number. I have the 1603. Either way, if my limited understanding is correct I would have to have pre-outs in order to do that. My receiver does not have that.

I believe what you are basically saying is what I kinda figured would be correct. The Denon would likely need an external amp. Something like the Pioneer or other high-end receiver would not. Considering the cost of the 3803 plus amp would be about the same as the Pioneer I think I would rather go that way. I'll do the search for 4 ohm loads to see.

Of course, I could avoid all this if I went with different speakers! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.