AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone might have some advice for me. I have a M&K MX-5000THX subwoofer. Haven't used it for several years and recently purchased a Pioneer Elite Pro-151 flat panel. Was setting up updated surround sound equipment and could not get the sub to produce sound. Sub red light is lit on back, swapped cables to A/V receiver and then tried the sub using me previous A/V receiver. Didn't work under any combination. Took the speaker back to the store that I bought it years ago and they had a tech look at it. After waiting a week finally heard back from them they have isolated the problem to the amplifier which they state is "blown." Not sure how this could have happened but am curious about the following:


1) Does the repair shops diagnosis make sense?

2) Since M&K is out of business is there a source for replacement amplifier?

3) Is this a difficult thing to fix on my own if i can get appropriate parts?

4) If an M&K replacement amp isn't available then does anybody have any suggestions?

5) Can this amplifier be repaired

6) Is there a third party who has a comparable amp which could be used?


Really would appreciate some input.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlanai /forum/post/18220188



2) Since M&K is out of business is there a source for replacement amplifier?


Thanks!

Looks like M&K was sold and is now mksoundsystem.com. You might want to check here to see if there are any service options for you:

M&K is back!

www.mksoundsystem.com


Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlanai /forum/post/18220188


I have a M&K MX-5000THX subwoofer. Haven't used it for several years and recently purchased a Pioneer Elite Pro-151 flat panel. Was setting up updated surround sound equipment and could not get the sub to produce sound. Sub red light is lit on back, swapped cables to A/V receiver and then tried the sub using me previous A/V receiver. Didn't work under any combination. Took the speaker back to the store that I bought it years ago and they had a tech look at it. After waiting a week finally heard back from them they have isolated the problem to the amplifier which they state is "blown." Not sure how this could have happened but am curious about the following:


1) Does the repair shops diagnosis make sense?

It's a rather general description. Not very useful, except to say there's a problem with the electronics.

Quote:
3) Is this a difficult thing to fix on my own if i can get appropriate parts?

If you are not an electronics technician, with some test equipment, I'd say it would be difficult.

Quote:
5) Can this amplifier be repaired

Probably. The circuitry is conventional. If the problem is in the amplifier section (as opposed to the preamp section/EQ), the biggest trick might be getting the Sanyo STK4048 module. Should be some around.


Is the repair shop you used able and willing to take their diagnosis down to component level? If not, find one who is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
If you are to repair the subwoofer, you will need a service manual and some time.

A repair shop could be quite expensive because of the amount of labor involved. The amount of labor can vary drastically with the design of the amplilfier and the types of 'known' problems that have occurred.

A new amplifier is usually not cost effective with less expensive subwoofers but could be with yours. I purchased a 500 watt PE BASH amplifier that has been effectively used in repairs on the JBL PSW-D115 (that had given me good service for nine years prior to having difficulties).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,418 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top