AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone here is familiar with this product. I have an offer to buy a M&K MX70 for $100 locally but I can't find much information on it by web searching. I'm looking for a subwoofer to complete my home theater and was going to hold off until I move out of my apartment, but from what I could tell is that these were very high end at one point so I'd hate to pass it up if it's a very good deal and end up with a $100 sub that is cheap.

I would need it to connect to my STR-DG720 which has a single jack port that looks like a RCA cord would fit in it, so red and black wire wouldn't work if that's how it outputs. I guess I would be able to figure this out when I go to see it. My main concern is that these models were released in 1991 so I have no idea how old it actually is without asking either, so I wonder if reliability is an issue. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I own an MX70. Got it in 1993, awesome sub, still working fantastic, actually out performs my MK MX125 with dual push-pull 12" drivers

The MX70 has 2 8" drivers, push-pull design 125 watt amplifier, very tight solid bass due to the efficiency of the smaller 8" drivers.

Nice compact size too, I HIGHLY recommend this sub, no way I would part with mine for anywhere close to $100.00.

I had my MX125 get the front driver kicked in by a friends little kid, and was directed to a site to buy a replacement driver, so parts are out there for the older subs from MK

·
Registered
20,245 Posts
Very musical sub but lacks deep bass for HT. I will give you an example. During the opening scene of the Lion King when the elephants walk at the screen you can not hear any footsteps from the elephant. With a better HT sub those steps are impactful. Maybe my MX-70B was not working properly but that was my experience. You can use it as a Midbass sub for $100.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For $100 if it's in good shape I'd go for it in a minute. I have an MX70B that served me very well for 12 years or so until I replaced it last year with an eD A3-300. The M&K's won't pressurize a big room like the big boxes but are extremely musical and put out a surprising amount of low end for a very small box. I paid $750 for mine mail order (pre ID days!) which was a deal at the time - they were going for $1200 at the local audio shops. I won't part with it either - some day I may need a high end compact system in some room and there's no way I could replace it for what I might get for it.

What are you using for front speakers? If you have a smaller satellite system it should integrate very nicely, even if they're larger for $100 it's a steal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
mktheater>>

Yes, agreed, the little MX70 is not a BIG room filling boomer, but I have to tell you for most living room/ small room that sub booms just fine. Yes, back in the day, musically it really was the perfect match up. I had it paired with the Paradigm #7's with their dual 8's and it made a fantastic music set up.

As for HT, I currently use it with one of my TV setups in a small room and some Speakercraft inwall speakers, just fine bass for nominal listening.

Yes, they were considered the "high-end" subs back in the day. I won mine in a sales contest from MK when I used to sell "stereo systems" at a "Stereo Store". I think I recall selling them around $850-900. Used to kill the Velodyne's at the same price points back then.

·
Registered
20,245 Posts
I agree with everyone that for $100 it is a no brainer. Very musical even for today's standards. I used to own many M&K products(I mean many), and the subs I owned were the MX-70b, V-125, MX-90, and the MX-5000. I owned every passive s-series speaker except the S-1c. The 5000THX system is a formidable system even today. One of my favorites. Why do you think my name is MK, I was a true fanboy until they went under. Looks like Ken is going to make a come back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a MX-70, I use it with a YSP-1000 I paid $200, great deal my friend paid $1200 he gave me the orignal box & the user manul. it works great, you cant go wrong for $100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts