AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 3 S-125's for $450 a piece they are all designated as center channels, but the owner/salesman said that wasn't a problem that you wanted the same exact speakers for your three fronts. Anyway he was just raving about the speakers and saying this was the best deal he had going. I just wanted to know if I got a good deal or not, I can still take them back they are still unopened in the box.

I heard them in the sound room and they sounded great they were being driven by a 3803.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
SerhC, welcome to the addiction (forum). I have been a M&K fan since 1994. I wouldn't have buyers remorse if I were you. They are great, kick-buttage speakers for home theater. It is true use the identical speakers for L, C, and R when you can. This results in more even panning because their timbre is perfectly matched. Even Paul, the Triad rep that is a AVS forum member said M&K makes a great speaker. Now if you match them to a M&K sub, wow!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
Even Paul, the Triad rep that is a AVS forum member said M&K makes a great speaker.
HEY! HEY! HEY!! I'm not a rep!! (Freakin' Director of Sales & Marketing.)

M&K stuff is a lot of fun, and very dynamic. I have always compared it to a 2001 Camaro Z-28...Massive bang-for-the-buck, but with a few rough edges.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
My bad Mr. Paul :) You are da man!

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
"M&K stuff is a lot of fun, and very dynamic. I have always compared it to a 2001 Camaro Z-28...Massive bang-for-the-buck, but with a few rough edges."

Sounds more like Klipsch than M&K!

Seriously SerhC, rest easy on your purchase. I have a full set of S85s (the little brother to your S125s), and they are great! You will have even better mid range dynamics than I do with the extra driver. I think that my S85s are the absolute bomb for a small speaker bedroom sized system. Although I have actually seriously considered selling them and replacing them with a full set of JBL S38s, but as much as i think about it, I just can't bring myself to do it.

BTW, what are you powering them with?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Mark, get Triads!

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
hometheaterguy

"Mark, get Triads!"

Please pardon my ignorance, but I've never even heard of Triads before. Is that an internet order only company, like Axiom, etc.?

Getting back to M&K, are they considered to be a "bright", forward sounding speaker by most people (even when hooked up by their "normal" inputs and not "wide range")? I also have some Klipschs, so to me M&K sounds warm and laid back, but that could only be because they are to me when compared to the Klipsch sound that I'm used to also.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
No, Triads are not an Internet order only company. Triad is a speaker you and everyone should listen to. They are one of the few loudspeakers that sound perfect listening to music in 2-channel, or the earth moving effects of multi-channel home theater. Many speakers do one well, but lack dynamics in the other. Triad Speakers are sold only through qualified custom installation professionals, most of whom are CEDIA members. Triad designs and manufactures architectural audio products for home entertainment professionals and also anyone who knows great sound.

Here is there site: www.triadspeakers.com

OK, Paul...Did I redeem myself? :)

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
SerhC

"Mark I will be powering them with a 3803."

SerhC, that will probably work, especially since you will have the lower bass cut off from them by the receiver's bass bypass crossover to the sub, thus signifigantly reducing the strain on the receiver's amps. However, the 3803 may be about the absolute minimum for them with their 4 ohm load. You might want to think about getting another power amp somewhere down the road and use the 3803 as a pre/pro. You would greatly benefit from this.

====================================================

hometheaterguy

"Triad is a speaker you and everyone should listen to. They are one of the few loudspeakers that sound perfect listening to music in 2-channel, or the earth moving effects of multi-channel home theater. Many speakers do one well, but lack dynamics in the other."

HTG, I agree with you. I know some other M&K owners may vehemently disagree with what I'm about to say, but I think that the M&Ks are better on movies and not as good on music. They certianly aren't terrible by any means, but I don't know, something just seems lacking with them on plain old 2 channel stereo music to me

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I like Triads for sats and M&K for subs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.