AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have liked M&K speakers since the early s1s and volkswoofer. About 6 years ago I got the s125 (4ea), s125c and mx350 for my 5.1 sound system. I and like some others have found the M&K line a little bright for music, but with the s125s you have the option of "bright midrange timbre" or "normal" which give a more musical timbre and I just love their sound. So I decided to upgrade to a 7.1 system and was going to get another pair of s125s, but found that they discontinued them (BOO!). Their 750s and 850s do not have the timbre selection option. (another BOO). I then decided to further upgrade the front three speakers to the s150s. The reason I did this is because on the M&K website they still have the s125c listed because it so closely matches the s150s timbre. When I ordered them I got the center in a couple of weeks and it took 2 months to get the R/L pair. (I do hope that the delay is because of of a great demand and M&Ks great testing program and not because they have reduced the workforce and are in some kind of trouble.) Anyway I found that the timbre between the s125s and s150s is when the s125s are set to the "bright midrange timbre) which is backwards from what I wanted. I configured my system to 6.1 and put the s125c in the center back. This sounded better the the older infinitys I had for 7.1. I placed the other s125s upfront also for Music and the s150s for HT. Now for the $64,000 question: If I get out my Rialto EQ and place it in the s150s amps, what would be a good starting point in terms of freq and db amount to adjust the s150s to mimic the s125s "normal" Q-curve response? I asked this question to M&K and they had no idea which also makes me worry that they sacked their top design team. So far I really enjoy the M&K setup, but I just want to tweek the musical property of the s150s abit and then things would be perfect.

Thanks for reading this long thread.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.