AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently inherited a M&K Volkswoofer III subwoofer in really nice shape and can't find any information on it. I have an owners manual that came with it, but the manual is for several of their subs from that period and doesn't refer to anything as just a Volkswoofer III. The list several v-series, and MX series on the cover.

The sub has a 12" driver and is powered, has line level and high level inputs, has a crossover on the amp, and a gain, but that's about it.

I have tried to email M&K, but am not getting a response. It seems like they haven't even established a website yet, which I find suprising.

Sorry to bug you all but any info anyone might have (Model number, amp power, Freq. response, personal experience, etc..) would be useful.

Thanks in advance,

Darin

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioIronHorse /forum/post/12989448

Hi all,

I recently inherited a M&K Volkswoofer III subwoofer in really nice shape and can't find any information on it. I have an owners manual that came with it, but the manual is for several of their subs from that period and doesn't refer to anything as just a Volkswoofer III. The list several v-series, and MX series on the cover.

The sub has a 12" driver and is powered, has line level and high level inputs, has a crossover on the amp, and a gain, but that's about it.

I have tried to email M&K, but am not getting a response. It seems like they haven't even established a website yet, which I find suprising.

Sorry to bug you all but any info anyone might have (Model number, amp power, Freq. response, personal experience, etc..) would be useful.

Thanks in advance,

Darin

Its not that they don't have a site yet, its more that they just went out of business!

See March 3, 2007 - http://www.stereophile.com/news/030507kreisel/

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
I think that it is the "V3-B".

·
Registered
726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/13217594

Heather, are you a real, live female sub aficionado? If so, that's very rare in these parts.

It's common knowledge for dudes to be named Heather in the state of Virginia.

A lot of these ebay ads for M&K claim they were taken over but some sort of Danish Holding company or something like that (in otherwords someone at the bankruptcy hearing bought the companies debt in return for the name)...but I've never found any more about it. If that's true we might see the name come back in the future.

While we are on the subject...what are these VX-1250's worth? This company sells them for $450 at their website and also has an ebay listing. I suspect they have taken some M&K drivers and amps and thrown them into what amounts to a decent DIY box. Might be worth it if the ebay item can be had for much less than $450 IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a real live female music fan, if thats what you are getting at!

This is the M&K Volkswoofer that I just won on the bay ... (I like the look of the wood cabinet)

the other picture shows it on the right side of my music room - with the JBL B-380 subwoofer I got a year ago on the far right. I generally listen to music in 2 channel mode, but have the system set so plays in 5.1 for movies and stuff.

03/02 - swapped in a different second picture. This picture showing the 12inch volkswoofer sub that arrived yesterday, next to my older JBL B380 sub (15inch driver). Plus my cat who loves to sleep on the sub, even when its playing (we don't run it overly loud when he's up there ...). The Volkswoofer sounds like the driver is shot, basically it just buzzes and rattles - I've complained to the seller (ebay), hope to hear something as the week proceeds - time will tell.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherJ /forum/post/13220594

This is the M&K Volkswoofer that I just won on the bay ...

the other picture show the right side of my music room - with the JBL subwoofer I got a year ago on the far right. I generally listen to music in 2 channel mode, but it plays in 5.1 for movies and stuff.

You've just made my day

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherJ /forum/post/13220594

This is the M&K Volkswoofer that I just won on the bay ... (I like the look of the wood cabinet)

the other picture show the right side of my music room - with the JBL subwoofer I got a year ago on the far right.

I generally listen to music in 2 channel mode, but it plays in 5.1 for movies and stuff.

Welcome to the sub forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy cow,

I thought this thread had died. I went back to do a search to try and find some info and discovered there were 10 posts. Sivadselim, I believe you are correct. After doing some more internet searching, it appears to be a V-3b. I believe has a 100 watt amp.

And HeatherJ, you are correct. I discovered they went out of business as well.

Good to know that someone is bringing them back to life though. I always thought they made good stuff.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contact the "Electro Mavin" (John Plemmons) who bought out the remaining supply of the last incarnation of subwoofer drivers made (designed in 2007). They are called "SuperFast Deep Bass" and will work as a direct drop in with the vintage V1 and V2b M&K subs. They are not dual wound, but it doesn't matter. They are incredibly fast, sensitive and far far superior to the original drivers. I have refurbed two subs and they integrate with the most modern, high sensitivity speakers available. No muddying or smearing and they have proven successful with several high end custom rigs around here. Easy work and cheap, about $97 per. Electro Mavin is in Athens, TN. Tell him Bob sent you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the continued tips folks!

The original Volkswoofer I got had a gutted amp - just the rear plate with nothing on it - and it turned out the original speaker was frozen solid ... so I got a Super Fast Deep Bass driver last year from Electro Mavin, its Single VoiceCoil, so I put a pair of 5 way Banana jacks on the rear and ran it with an external Citation amp in Mono mode - worked fine, but the amp was overkill and I didn't need the Vwoofer with the B380 I already had in that room, so I put it aside for a while.

Last winter a friend gave me an M&K VWoofer plate amp that is drop in replacement -

I put it on the shelf with the speaker until I got back to it.

But 2 weeks ago, I got a pair of (used) Magneplanar MG IIb panel speakers - I set them up in the front room but Ifound out they are weak in the low bass!! Can't have THAT! So, I pulled out the Vwoofer and the M&K plate amp, started to assemble everything, but found the amp is made for dual VC - and I didn't know how to hook up dual outputs to a SVC speaker - so I went to ElectroMavin and got an (offbrand) DVC woofer from Mavin ... - its a $40 Subwoofer "kit" but all I needed was the cheap DVC speaker.

That combo seems to be working well

But if there's a way to use the better SVC Super Fast Deep Bass M&K speaker, please, let me know how to hook it up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my V2B since the early 90s and it now has just blown a fuse. I put a new one in and it blew as well. Does anyone out there know what might have happened? I really love this sub. It's a 12" model with a 100W internal amp. I've been running it off a Denon 3808 receiver for about 3 years now.

Is it worth getting fixed? I recently had the drive re-foamed. I really love this sub even though it's very dated.

Please advise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Repeatedly blowing fuses is a sign of a bad amplifier. The electrolytic capacitors in the amp will slowly deteriorate with time/heat (or it could be something else). You can consider a repair (likely much too expensive). You could consider a replacement amp (Parts Express, OAudio have good reputations) but you may need to do some juryrigging to get the new amp to fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't believe there are still people in this room! Webgal, it is good to hear you got to the Mavin--those drivers are now quite rare and can cost a fortune. The original plate amp is for the original dual voice coil. I simply taped up a pair of leads from the amp and hooked up the remaining pair to the driver. This has worked fine.

That said, since my forays to the ElecroMavin for those SFDB replacement drivers for my twin V2b subs, age related plate amp issues have cropped up for me also. The old units have ICs and are not discrete signal path build, so I am viewing this is an opportunity to upgrade what is already a very fine sound. If anyone has retrofitted the amp section using these drivers, your experience is welcomed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i hope no one minds me thread jacking... i just got a Volkswoofer for free not sure if it works, i removed the sub because the foam surround was obliterated(no suprise after reading some of the threads about it here) anyway i wanna know the specs on the amp so i can replace the woofer, i dont spend alot of money on audi equipment, right now i have a walmart RCA surround system with a 10" car woofer replacing the stock subwoofer i figured this powered 12"er would be a big improvement if i can get it working, just need to know what the impedance is so i can buy a dual voice coil 12" and plug it in to see if the amp even works, then ill go from there... jeez thats alot i prob should have just started a thread sorry

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippindabord /forum/post/20389042

i hope no one minds me thread jacking... i just got a Volkswoofer for free not sure if it works, i removed the sub because the foam surround was obliterated(no suprise after reading some of the threads about it here) anyway i wanna know the specs on the amp so i can replace the woofer, i dont spend alot of money on audi equipment, right now i have a walmart RCA surround system with a 10" car woofer replacing the stock subwoofer i figured this powered 12"er would be a big improvement if i can get it working, just need to know what the impedance is so i can buy a dual voice coil 12" and plug it in to see if the amp even works, then ill go from there... jeez thats alot i prob should have just started a thread sorry

You could email them at [email protected] .

Maybe they can atleast steer you in the right directon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend asked me to look at his M&K V-2b that had stopped working. I found some fried components but didn't have a schematic to decipher what they where so I went looking found help here. I had to edit the url's from the email because this is my first post.

kriselsound.com

I asked for help and got the following email. I tried to include the schematics he sent but was able to.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your email. Attached is a V-2B schematic (no power supply schematic included here) and a universal schematic which shows the basic power supply configuration used in the V-2B, and a couple of Volkswoofer schematics (VW and V-1B) for your own Volkswoofer.

If you are still having a problem troubleshooting the burnt parts, please send me a photo of the burnt parts and I might be able to help identify them.

For general troubleshooting; Usually with subwoofers it is 1 of 4 problems:

1. Noisy BASS LEVEL/volume control, makes a crackling or popping noise when the BASS LEVEL/volume control on the subwoofer is turned up or down, or even if stationary. Usually due to the subwoofer being in a humid environment over a long time. See the attached PDF about how to spray clean the BASS LEVEL control.

See if you hear a noise or distortion as you turn the BASS LEVEL control and work the other subwoofer controls and switches. Sometimes, just working the BASS LEVEL control will clean the contacts without the spray cleaner.

2. A blown external fuse: The power light on the back panel is OFF and there is no sound.

3. A blown internal fuse: The power light on the back panel is ON and there is no sound.

4. The driver is bad and needs replacement or reconing or re-edging or repaired.
If needed, you can send your driver(s) in to be re-edged/re-foamed/re-coned/repaired at one of these shops. There are many shops around the country that do re-coning, so you might research for a shop in your area. I know that Orange County Speaker is very familiar with re-foaming M&K speakers and they charge about $39:

Orange County Speaker
Attn: Service
12141 Mariners Way
Garden Grove CA 92843
800-897-8373 M-F 9am - 5pm Pacific Time

Speaker City USA
115 South Victory Blvd.
Burbank Ca 91502
Phone 818-846-9921

THE SPEAKER EXCHANGE
Tampa, Florida
Toll-free: 1-800-849-6972
Tel: 813-237-4800 Fax: 813-238-3558

AUSTIN SPEAKER SERVICE
Phone: 512-452-2202
in Austin, Texas

Circuit Shop Loudspeakers
3716 28th Street SE
Kentwood, MI 49512
Phone: 800-593-0869

The Stereo Doctor
151 Water Street
Augusta, ME 04330
(207) 623-3222

FYI: The M&K factory was closed in February 2007.

The MK logo was purchased by the people at mksound.com. They are making M&K type product in China under the company name MK SOUND, not M&K SOUND although it looks like they have recently started using the name M&K. I am not and never have been associated in any way with the MK SOUND company, so I only know their plans from their website and press releases and have no idea about the quality or performance of their products.

I have launched the speaker brand KEN KREISEL and certainly will keep you updated about future product availability as well as parts and service on original Miller & Kreisel Sound/M&K Sound products.

I have placed you on our emailing list for news and updates.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/KenKreiselSound and at kreiselsound.com.

Hope this is of some help.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions you might have.

In the meantime,

GOOD SOUND TO YOU.....ALWAYS,

KEN KREISEL
kreiselsound.com
kkprofessionalsound.com
facebook.com/kenkreiselsound

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts