AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which one would you guys suggest for a 7.1 setup?

·
Registered
643 Posts
You are talking about apples and oranges. B&W and Thiel I understand but M&K is a different beast all together. You are talking about something that is made for pretty much one thing and that is movies. Compared to some pretty balanced speakers. I just got home from listening to the Thiel 1.6's and I believe they are the best speaker I have heard under $3k. Just an amazing speaker that is way worth the money compared to B&W. That is just my opinion.

I take it you have listened to all of these before you asked for opinions?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i suggest you get what sounds good to your ears...

i haven't auditioned M&K speakers before so i can't comment on them...yet. someone may be bringing the M&K S150s over to my place for the planned listening session between the Aurum Cantus Leisure 2Ds and Onix Ref 1s at my place this Sunday so i'll have an impression then...

regarding the Thiels and B&Ws...tough to say because you haven't mentioned how much you are willing to spend...if your budget is relatively low, i don't think Thiel makes a low priced speaker like the B&W 600 or B&W 300s...if you are planning to move up to the higher priced 600s or beyond, then the Thiels have speakers you might want to consider...

i've auditioned and owned Thiels and B&Ws...in general, i would choose Thiel over B&W...just my $0.02. YMMV...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if i would categorize M&K as strictly HT. Consider their popularity with music mixing studios. The fact is that they are brutally honest and some people dont like that for music speakers

·
Registered
643 Posts
Have you listened to the M&K's with music? I soooooooo wanted to like the M&K S150's a year or so back but I just couldn't stand to listen to them with music. Revealing? Yes. Shallow and sometimes.......actually most of the time very fatigued by listening to them? Yes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
i suggest you get what sounds good to your ears...

i haven't auditioned M&K speakers before so i can't comment on them...yet. someone may be bringing the M&K S150s over to my place for the planned listening session between the Aurum Cantus Leisure 2Ds and Onix Ref 1s at my place this Sunday so i'll have an impression then...

regarding the Thiels and B&Ws...tough to say because you haven't mentioned how much you are willing to spend...if your budget is relatively low, i don't think Thiel makes a low priced speaker like the B&W 600 or B&W 300s...if you are planning to move up to the higher priced 600s or beyond, then the Thiels have speakers you might want to consider...

i've auditioned and owned Thiels and B&Ws...in general, i would choose Thiel over B&W...just my $0.02. YMMV...
Yeah mad dog their new entry level speaker just blew me away. They sounded just so much more sophisticated then anything I have heard yet. Even gave the Monitor Audio Gold Ref 60's a run for their money and that is for a speaker that only list's for $2300! Not bad.

I'm making sure I get all my listening in by sunday. ;) Before I hear the Ref 1's. :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Thiel speakers are very detailed and revealing...good source equipment is necessary or they can sound a bit "bright." I like the midrange presentation of the Thiels more than the B&W mids.

and their "entry level" speaker would not be considered entry level by most other manufacturers' standards. not in price nor sound quality...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wow! I'm sick. It's bad when you start thinking of $2300 speakers as "entry level".

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I will agree with HIB (damn, we share the same thoughts! ;) - Halo, M&K)

Anyway, M&K's pretty much tell it how it is. I own the S-150's and absolutely LOVE them for HT. Music listening is very nice too, and yes, if the recording sucks, so does the sound. They don't color the sound at all and are very revealing.

I'll recommend M&K's all day long, but I ALWAYS say go out and listen for yourself. Reviews are great and are a good tool for getting started, but it ultimately comes down to what YOU prefer and NO ONE ELSE. It's your hard earned money you're spending. Do what's right for YOU.

;)

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents. I have the Nautilus 803's and absolutely love them. I chose them over the Monitor Audio Golds, Dynaudio and Theils.

The only M&K's I auditioned were the in walls vs. B&W 800 series. I thought there was no comparison. I got the B&W's.

Selectfpr

·
Registered
140 Posts
My vote goes to B&W.

I compared a whole boat load of speakers before I got my N802's a few weeks back.

Don't let anyone fool you, these things sound incredible. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just doing a survey, I'll try not to get fooled LOL

:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Speaking of Thiel I had to ask.

I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers. Adding Pioneer Elite 45tx Monday.

I went to 6'th ave electronics and told the salesman that I was using my CS 2.2's (Rosewood) as my main speakers for 5.1 audio. He told me that he had never heard of Thiel and that I needed to have the same speakers all around, or at the least the center had to match. He had me listen to some Definitive towers playing Jazz and told me that CD music was the best way to compare speakers even for HT. I told him my Thiel's sounded better, and he wasn't happy with me. But, I really did think they sounded better and they are probably 15 years old too boot. He had be believing that the company must be obsolete and that getting a center channel to match my CS 2.2's was not possible.

The rest of my speakers are AR's from about 5-6 years ago, Sub and 4 a little smaller than bookshelf speakers.

Do you think that there is a reason to keep the CS 2.2's for HT?

Or should I start over?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got a pair of Thiel CS 2.4s for my mains and SCS 3s for the other 3 channels, moved my SCS 2s into the 7.1 rear speakers and now have an old set of CS 2s sitting around. The 2.4s are an amazing loudspeaker and the SCS 3s fit sound wise pretty well seamlessly. Nothing B&W makes that is remotely in the price class comes close to the 2.4s. They are a definate improvement over the 2.3s.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't heard the Theils but I have listened to B&W Dynaudio, Energy Veritas and Monitor Audio's and settled for the M&K 150's. I love their sound for music. Perhaps thats because my previous monitors were the Altec A7's which had 15' woofer and horn loaded high end. My ears have been conditioned for that "in your face live" sound. Don't go on specs or opinions, listen for yourself.

Brad

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d.mcnutt
No one has to "fool you." Just listen and compare and get the speaker you like best.
Maybe I used the wrong terminology. but I have seen some lengthy, albeit subtle, B&W bashing on some threads the last few days.

As always, the best sounding speakers in the world are the ones that sound best to you.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eggman
...but I have seen some lengthy, albeit subtle, B&W bashing on some threads the last few days...
B&W makes some very good loudspeakers...some finer than others...

however, IMHO, they don't represent great value like some other very good loudspeakers sold through B&M venues. but this is just my opinion...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
B&W makes some very good loudspeakers...some finer than others...

however, IMHO, they don't represent great value like some other very good loudspeakers sold through B&M venues. but this is just my opinion...
I would never argue that point.

A Rolex isn't a very good value either, it keeps time just like a thousand other watches.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Anthony,

I have an old pair of 2.2s still going strong after eight years as the fronts in my HT. My original centre was an SCS2 which I was never really happy with. About 8 months ago I added an MCS1 as centre and it is truly brilliant. The MCS1 is a bit pricey but if you can do it I promise you will never regret it.

My current system is 7.1 with CS2.2s, MCS1 and four SCS2s.

I am currently trying to resist the new 2.4s. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.