AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm *thinking* about switching speaker brands from B&W to M&K. Currently I am running B&W 602 (S3) for front mains, the LCR 60 (S3) center, 600 (S3) SBL & SBR) and Klipsch SS-1's for SR & SL (since b&w didn't have a decent dipole for the 600 series) Using an M&K THX sub. The receiver is an Onkyo SR805 (THX Ultra2). I have heard good things about the M&K K7's and K4's (of course using the K4's for SL / SR). I have an opportunity to get the M&K's cheap as a complete set, less the sub which I don't need. If you have an opinion about how the M&K's compare to the B&W's, please share it! I am also aware about the ownership change and possible warranty issues with the M&K's, but due to their build quality I doubt it'd be an issue. The B&W's have excellent volume output, and good clarity, but I have heard the M&K image better and present more detail than the B&W's. I cannot audition them first though, simply because there is nowhere to check them out around here...Thanks for your time! BTW: If I DO go with the M&K's, I'll likely sell the B&W's....

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can't answer specifically because I've never heard any M&K speakers.

I do know that I wouldn't make such a switch unless I could listen first. Even if I was unsatisfied with my current speakers, I still wouldn't switch to anything I couldn't listen to first, and I certainly wouldn't do it based on reviews or opinions from an audio website.

But, maybe that's just me

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgriel /forum/post/12991689

But, maybe that's just me

Nope, it's not just you.

Just because a few random people on a website I don't know says it's good doesn't mean I will like it too. Unless they actually have some credentials that are worth mentioning, I would not ever buy something based on a few "reviews".

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallen3 /forum/post/12991493

I'm *thinking* about switching speaker brands from B&W to M&K. Currently I am running B&W 602 (S3) for front mains, the LCR 60 (S3) center, 600 (S3) SBL & SBR) and Klipsch SS-1's for SR & SL (since b&w didn't have a decent dipole for the 600 series) Using an M&K THX sub. The receiver is an Onkyo SR805 (THX Ultra2). I have heard good things about the M&K K7's and K4's (of course using the K4's for SL / SR). I have an opportunity to get the M&K's cheap as a complete set, less the sub which I don't need. If you have an opinion about how the M&K's compare to the B&W's, please share it! I am also aware about the ownership change and possible warranty issues with the M&K's, but due to their build quality I doubt it'd be an issue. The B&W's have excellent volume output, and good clarity, but I have heard the M&K image better and present more detail than the B&W's. I cannot audition them first though, simply because there is nowhere to check them out around here...Thanks for your time! BTW: If I DO go with the M&K's, I'll likely sell the B&W's....

Im not familiar with those B&W's but I will tell you that M&K built quality speakers. I would only buy them if they were built before they went out of business. Those you know at least went through M&K's quality control. You also have to be careful because there were alot of counterfeits out there.

I have M&K all through my house.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I have M&k S150p's in my theater (see link)(lcrs & stands possible for sale soon) I love these speakers for theater, they have impact and are dynamic but very directional so need to be in the sweet spot (nearfield monitors), I set them up with a laser alignment tool that M&K sold once upon a time. Personally between the two I would choose M&K more for hometheater and B&w for music, two different sounds

1 - 5 of 5 Posts