AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my super cubeIII finally bit the dust. a buddy brought over his M&K Xenon SB-8 Subwoofer and man, this thing is WAYYYYYY better than my scIII was. my question is, for the 550+ i'd pay for the M&K, is there some other i should look at first?

PS: i really dislike velodyne subs

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain
So my super cubeIII finally bit the dust. a buddy brought over his M&K Xenon SB-8 Subwoofer and man, this thing is WAYYYYYY better than my scIII was. my question is, for the 550+ i'd pay for the M&K, is there some other i should look at first?

PS: i really dislike velodyne subs
I noticed your looking at small subs. Is this a requirement ?

1. 550.00 is overpriced in my book. Especially for a sub that only goes down to 35hz. Even if it's an M&K sub.

2. The old M&K is out of business so getting replacement parts could be an issue. This however depends on what the new M&K has available.

3. If size is not a big issue, you have much better options available. Look into HSU Research, Elemental Designs, SVS, Lava, and Rythmik.

4. If size is a problem then look at the sealed options from Elemental Designs, and SVS.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the break-down write-up and response in general.

1. Yes, I'm noticing this sub's low end response is very muddy but I'm guessing it's due to lack of "ass" for my size room. Open-house design is the demise of my viewing area. It opens into the kitchen and has a double loft opening to the second story, damnit!

2. I think the company is alive and active with new line-ups.

3. 22x22x22 is about the max space I'm willing to give up.

4. see 3.

5. I'm thinking somewhere in the $750 range is about where I want to cap this investment at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts