AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pre-wired with 5 zones inside my home and outside.(3 inside-2 outside) when i say pre-wired im talking ceiling speakers with reg. speaker wire and no cat5. i use a nutone sr9000 that just crapped out and would like to upgrade it. not really interested in sep. volume control as my home is v. small. 20-30 watts for background music is fine.

does anyone know anything about the DMC1-2 OR 3 system from M&S? will it work with just a 2 wire speaker set-up.

im interested in AM/FM and hooking up my Ipod or Itunes from my computer.

any thoughts on this or any other system would be of great help.

1,000 is my budget(not incl. speakers) and if there is a system thats easy to install please LMK.

also I've got full attic access and can pull any wire needed.

thanks-

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I think I read somewhere recently that you need cat5 now, for the M&S systems.

I can't wait to get my M&S intercom system yanked from my house - it's 15 years old, doesn't work, and ugly as hell. No CI wants to touch it - just want to sell new equipment.

Get the DMC1-2-3 manuals, or confirm with M&S by phone, that they still support 2-3-4 wire installs.

A $50 used AV receiver can be hooked up to in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, to provide AM/FM and an ipod dock/input, but you're left with holes in your walls from the old Nutone system. Do you still need an intercom system?

I wouldn't run sound from an intercom system through in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. Waste of money. Get a real receiver, much better sound (though still not great).

Yes, a new M&S system will allow for external inputs. Check the manual to determine output(s) to external speakers/line-level output. You'll need a separate amp(s) to drive the whole-house speakers.

After familiarizing yourself with the installation and operation of a new M&S system (by reading the manual), call M&S if you still don't have the answer.

I'd keep the DA (distributed audio) system separate from the intercom.

You said your house is prewired for DA, but your Nutone intercom system crapped out. You mean that speaker cables have been in your walls and ceilings since construction?

Where is the 'home run' location that the in-wall and in-ceiling speaker cables run to?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neurorad.

lets move the Discusion on to one of these-

http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio...ystem-packages

or

http://www.aboutgizmos.com/nizr6so6zoau.html

Id like a system that can Handle FM/AM and Itunes. 6 zones with touch pad. while id like to be able to see whats playing it not necessary as cost is a big factor for me.

Iv build my own HT from scratch and am pretty handy once i grasp the Instal. speakers will be Polk Audio Atrium 45 outside(2 zones) and ill be switching out the speakers inside.

Id like to keep this under 1,000. or somewhere near.

thanks-

please recommend any other systems i might have missed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.