AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a scenario where all speakers are crossed over at 80Hz, what are the pros and cons of an M-T-M vs a T-M speaker design?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
MTM Advantage:

MTM might be more sensitive, as it has two woofers.

It might look more proper being horizontal.

It's less likely to block the screen sitting under a TV.

It's more likely to fit in a media center.

MTM Disadvantage:

It lobes more, even within the 30 degree cone of typical listeners.

Its off-axis performance is worse, yielding poor quality reflections off walls.

It may cost more, due to the addition of another driver.

It's more "different" from the FL and FR speakers, so it won't match their timbre as perfectly as a MT speaker. Behind an acoustically transparent screen, there's no reason for a MTM center.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I understand many of the m-t-m centre issues.

I was wondering more in the design or L/R mains

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Sorry...I incorrectly jumped to an assumption.

Still, the lobing still applies, but in the vertical access now if we're talking about vertically-oriented speakers. This is a problem for a second row of theater seating, or if the energy directed at your sweet spot is ragged in response. This is solved with a w-m-t-w three way speaker. Or crossing one of the woofers of an m-t-m over at a higher frequency.

Still the sensitivity advantage may apply. There's a power-handling advantage (more drivers to output more spl), especially in frequencies of mid-bass. This is for equal diameter drivers, of course. A m-t with a six inch driver has more area than a m-t-m with two four inch drivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.