Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just bought the Panny 300 PJ and love it. Had it demo'd on both a 92" Draper M1300 and a 120" M1300 screen. The PQ onthe larger screen was incredible and noticeably better than on the smaller screen. After some investigation on the screen, the rep figured out the difference was that the 120" screen had a Black finish frame which essentially acts as masking. Man what a difference. The PQ was so good I bought the PJ in an instant.

My setup is in a multipurpose room with a pool table positioned behind the seating area (which is 15 ft from the viewing wall) and there is a bar to one side of the pool table. There are large windows behind the pool table which would result in sunlight coming in directly onto the future screen. But I do intend on putting some heavy curtains up.

Main problem is that the wall I am placing the screen on has a full height central alcove measuring about 118" wide, angles inward and is about 18 " deep (originally meant for a RP). I want a 120" diag screen which would fit into the alcove but because of the angulated nature of the alcove, it would have to be suspended partly into the alcove resulting in an air gap of about 10".

From Tryg's awesome review of screens:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=240074

he mentions that the M1300 is light transmissive. What effect would this have on PQ with the gap of 10" behind the screen?? I plan on painting the back wall a flat dark steel blue or flat deep blue. Could there be some benefit to having the gap by illuminating the image more?

Would the M2500 have less light transmission?

Might the M2500 be a better choice if I want to play pool or have people freely move around with some ambient light to get to the bar while watching the Superbowl??

Would there be any hot spotting on the M2500 with the Panny which has less than 800 lumens.

Is there any disadvantages to the M2500?? Black and shadow detail?? Would it be too bright in absolute darkness??

I appreciate any input!

Thanks

Bob:confused:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
keep things simple Bob.

If you want the higher gain and a moderate veiwing cone doesn't bother your setup then go with the 2500.

If you want max viewing angles and a slightly small smaller screen ~100" then the 1300 will be great.

Dont over think it. They are both fine products and you will likely be satisfied with either. Also, the gap should be fine for either product. No need to worry!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tryg.

With regards to the moderate viewing cone for the M2500, what angle would be the max range of the cone? My room is only 14' 6" wide and the seating area spans the entire width about 15' back.

When you talk about 100" screen, I presume you are talking about diagonal measurement. If so, it may indeed be the best situation for my setup.

Does higher gain have any effect on blacks and shadow detail??

Thanks

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.