AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I about 2 hours doing a quick convergence on my M8000 and fired up Harry Potter(WS) through my HTPC running a Radeon 7500 video card and TheaterTek 1.12. The first scene of the movie occurs at night and I could hardly see anything but the street lights.

I have total light control so there was very little light in the room. I have my contrast set at 40 and brightness set at 50. What can I do to lighten up the picture to the correct level? Thanks in advance.

Darren

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
With Marquee's its not uncommon to have brightness at the 75-80 level. As far as I can tell, this is pretty normal. About the lowest I can set mine for any source is the range you are using, but thats for a desktop that is really bright to begin with. I watched Men In Black again last night and the brightness was set at 68, I had turned it down from 80 which I needed for Pearl Harbour.

I've noticed on some DVD's (like Pearl Harbour) that the balance between DVD pic controls and pj controls are very finicky to get a good image. The Pearl Harbour DVD had to have the DVD brightness almost off to have a delineation of whites according to the THX white level pattern, yet I had to have the pj brightness up to 80 to get the black level pattern right. When I did that combo, the lush, dark toned picture of Pearl Harbour looked really good.

In addition, I've seen a setup of a resident expert in town who really knows what he's doing, and he uses a brightness setting of 78.

Contrast is more significant on a Marquee. I rarely set contrast over 32 or 33. The highest I can remember ever having it is 38.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I know that 40 is about as high as I would want to go for contrast, but wasn't sure about the brightness. I'll throw in Pearl Harbour tonight and check out the settings you suggested. This is getting fun!:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.