AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 long months of building my HT I am finally getting to setting up my equipment. Last night I put the screen up and fired up my Ehome and started to do some quick converging.

My PJ has less than 10 hours on rebuilt tubes. I did a reset all and off I went. After getting a very quick focus I found that when I put up the convergence gridline the green grid tilts to the left about 10 degrees. How can I correct this so that I can get converged by the weekend? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Darren

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
If after you did a "Reset Everything" your green "horizon" is tilted, firstly I'd verify that by checking that the pj is indeed level. If the horizon is off for sure, you need to loosen the yoke that is closest to the tubeface and rotate it slightly to correct the off level horizon of your green tube. This is easy to do, but personally, I loosen the yoke and do the adjustments with the power disconnected from the pj, so it takes a while to get it just right. The yoke may have been hot glued to the neck of the crt, if thats the case you'll have to break the glue bond to adjust the horizon. Pretty easy to do, just be careful.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty certain that the PJ is level. It is currently sitting on some cinder blocks(so that I can get the top of the tubes level with the bottom of the screen) that are on my basement floor.

I'm just learning my way around the PJ so I just want to verify where the yokes are. On the top plate of the PJ there are about 10 bolts lettered A, B, C & D. Do I loosen bolt C to pivot the tubeface to level the horizon?

Thanks

Darren

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Darren

The scan yoke is behind the tube face, under the tube cover, so you want to be very careful what you touch inside there as the yoke wires carry 1,000 volt pulses, and the tube itself runs at 34,000 volts. It is recommended to level red and blue horizon to correctly levelled green so as to put the least workload on the convergence circuitry. Red and blue heights and widths should also be matched for the same reason, and for the best convergence stability.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That explains why gn2 always does this when the power is disconnected. ;) When I take off the covers are the yokes easily identified or how can I identify them? I'll be working on this tonight so the help is greatly appreciated.

Darren

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

The scan yoke is the front-most device on the tube neck; it is gray and bell-shaped and horizontal and vertical windings are all contained within. Scan yokes are often heavily glued to the tube glass with hot-melt glue; removing that much glue usually requires pulling the tube and slicing into the glue with a heated knife; I use a long exacto carving blade and a butane torch. Care must be taken not to disturb the fine copper windings under the yoke or it will be ruined. If you are lucky the scan yoke is only glued to the convergence yoke immediately behind it; the convergence yoke is held to the glass with a clamp, a 3mm metric ballnose allen wrench is needed to loosen the clamp screw. Beware that there are lethal voltages inside the tube cover and all of this is best left to an experienced technician.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Be sure that you've adjusted the skew adjustment in the geometry menu before you go to all this trouble, because its quite possible that you're only seeing a tilt on the vertical lines and not the horizontal ones. The skew adjustment will correct any vertical line error.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Last night I pulled the cover just to see what I was dealing with and found the yoke based on Tim's description. Luckly I was able to use a T handled allen wrench to loosen and turn the yoke to level my horizon. I had to adjust the red gun's horizon too. I also verified that the skew was on before doing the adjustment. If I had to move the yoke with my hand, or it was covered with glue I would have hired someone else to make the adjustment. Again, thanks for all of the help. What a great place for information.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.