AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying mac mini 2010 as a htpc. I want to install win 7 on it. Do you think mac mini 2010 will have sound problems and hdmi handshake issues under windows 7?

I do my research about this mac mini 2010 and heard that it has a lot of sound and display problems under mac OSX 10.6.4 and 10.6.5.

Otherwise, I will buy Asrock Core 100 as my htpc.

Please help me.

Thanks

·
Registered
934 Posts
I did not have handshake issues when I had my late 2009 Mini under OSX 10.6 connected to a Vizio VL32 using a DP/DVI-.>DVI/HDMI-adapter. For direct movie disc playback, AnyDVD should resolve the HDCP issue. Otherwise, PowerStrip may be useful.

Can't comment on the audio. The TV the mini is hooked up now only has component HD inputs, and my reciever has no HDMI (toslink and composite inputs only). Just realize, there will be no HD audio; hardware limitation as far as I know.

I don't have Windows7, yet. But the OSX disc should have the drivers into install Windows7 if it doesn't not detect them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a 2006 mac mini as my HTPC, but it my opinion you are miss appropriating your monies unless you use OS X. I've looked at upgrading and moving the old system to a back bedroom, but recent manufacturing changes to the way Apple makes their computers has swayed me in recent times to use other hardware providers.

Performance will be better with the AsRock Core system, and support for Win 7 has pretty good reviews from what I've read. You may also want to look at the Vision 3D systems from AsRock as well. The price is slightly higher then the Core system but it's a much higher spec.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I hope you do realize you are going to pay a premium for the Apple name. Bottom line really boils down to what you plan to do on the HTPC. It works good for online HD streaming feeds such as NFL Game Pass, NBA League Pass broadband, ESPN3, Hulu, and Netflix's PC instant watch service (the PC version isn't as good as the other devices such as Roku, 360, PS3).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guy,

I use the htpc mainly for playing mkv files and hulu online movies. My mainly concern is the mac mini 2010 power consumption. I am thinking about turn on mac mini 2010 24/7 to download torrent. and I heard that mac mini idle power consumption is around 10w. So it will save some electric bills for me.

Still debating between Asrock core 100 and mac mini 2010. Both are similar price range.

I don't know which one should I get

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 2010 Mac Mini w/HDMI out Bootcamped to Win7 premium. It is connected to an Onkyo TXSR-605 which is connected to a Panny 720p plasma. I run 7MC on it and have most of my content stored on another PC in the other room.

A couple of annoyances to point out...not show stoppers, but definitely annoying.

1) The power button being located in the back. I do leave the mini on 24/7, but it does go into standy. Sometimes it'll wake from the remote, sometimes it won't (I won't fault the mini for this...I've been having trouble with wake from standby for every single one of my HTPCs for the past decade!). The easy fix with previous HTPCs is to simply press the power button in the front...I hate fiddling around the back of the mini searching for the recessed button. It's only a coupla seconds, but it's annoying. Form shouldn't follow function for this, IMO.

2) Sometimes it gets confused and sets the resolution to 1024x768 likely because it's seeing my Panny (which has a 1366x768 res), so I manually have to switch the resolution to my desired res.

3) The GbE port can't seem to handle some streamed Blu-Ray iso's from my other PC. Didn't have this problem on my previous PC with GbE. Maybe every 10th BluRay, I'd get one with a little bit of audio hiccups.

Note that these issues are fairly rare...likely happening about 1 in 10 to 20 times. Not show stoppers in my book, but I can see people being annoyed.

Previously, I used an HP Slimline, which I liked quite a bit because it was quite a bit cheaper (1/2 the price) and performed just as well. But in my AV cabinet is was very prone to overheating, even though I added cooling fans to the back of the cabinet.

I built up an AsRock atom/ion mini pc for the bedroom and I am sufficiently happy with that one as well. IMO, however, it is quite loud (surprisingly). The transformer that came with it must be total crap as it buzzes quite a bit. I tried to move it out to the living room as well, but again, ran into heat issues. My next step is to replace the transformer...although the pc itself also hums. I definitely can't leave it on 24/7. Also it chokes a bit on some high bit rate mkvs.

Anyways, long story just a little bit shorter...the mac mini works fine as an HTPC with Win7 bootcamped. Drivers were a breeze. It's not worth the money though. IF, I didn't have this damn cabinet and unmarried (probably the more important part), I'd stuck with my Ahanix Full-ATX case and DIY HTPC which costs the same, yet provided me with a nice 7" touchscreen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.