AVS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A couple updates:

1) I was able to restore 4K output from Windows 10 to the TV by manually installing an Intel Iris graphics update (3840x2160 @ 30hz). But...
2) ...The Mac Mini is absolutely awful for playing back 4K files. Video stuttering and then complete freezing while audio continues. I tried locally and over the network to my NAS and both methods produced unwatchable results. Also tried 24hz refresh rate to match the 24p speed of the video files and it didn't make any difference.

It's very deceptive that Apple advertised 4K support for this machine, when in reality it's just an available resolution setting and there is no ability to actually play 4K content correctly. I'm disappointed for wasting 2 weeks trying to get this working, only to go back to my 2012 Mac Mini at 1080p (better specs). I'm considering getting the Nvidia Shield to act as the new HTPC, but it's not ideal as a Plex Server due to storage limitations, so I may just stick with 1080p until the perfect device comes along. Anyways thanks audit13 for your help with troubleshooting, sorry that it didn't lead to a good outcome in the end.

·
Registered
273 Posts
2) ...The Mac Mini is absolutely awful for playing back 4K files. Video stuttering and then complete freezing while audio continues.
This is the only player that made 4K movies at least watchable on my Mac mini. Though, it will highly depend on the codec used as well as video bitrate, so you may still experience stuttering during intense scenes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is the only player that made 4K movies at least watchable on my Mac mini. Though, it will highly depend on the codec used as well as video bitrate, so you may still experience stuttering during intense scenes.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I already ditched the 2014 Mac Mini and made the decision to go back to my Quad-Core 2012 Mac Mini and stick with 1080p network streaming. I think at this point the only way I'd try 4K again is with the Nvidia Shield, or potentially a native 4K Popcorn Hour.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts