AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hooked my Mac Mini up to my new DLP set, using the DVI to HDMI cable that came with the TV. It kind of works. ;) The mac recognized the Samsung, and set the resolution to 1280x720. It looks great, but I think I am seeing what is called 'overscan', in that the edges are pushed way past the screen edge. I.E., the top menu bar is off the screen.


There is also a VGA port on the back of the TV (haven't tried it yet), and there are many settings in the TV menu for tweaking the VGA settings (screen position, size, etc), but there are no comparable settings for the HDMI port.


Am I just screwed? The VGA port says it is going to 'stretch' things to 1024x768, and I much prefer the idea of a direct digital interface.


If anyone has solved this, please let me know! Or if you know I'm not going to get this to work, let me know that, too.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Under system preferences ->displays -> options do you have a section called TV output? If so there is a choice there to enable or disable overscan.


I have a mini hooked up to a Sony WEGA by DVI and this fixed the overscan.


If this is not present then you'll have to look into switchres or displayconfigx to put in correct timings for your set
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,025 Posts
Another simple way to get your screen inside the border is to switch the picture size setting on your tv remote from "wide" to "pc wide," I think that's what it's called on the Samsung dlps. Then you'll have a slight black border running around the image--an inch maybe--and your picture will not fill your screen. On a 50" it won't really matter--but if it does--then you can proceed to the good advice bolus gave you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
If you have OS X Tiger (10.4), then you will have the Overscan adjustment option. It doesn't always work very well. It is highly dependent on the display and resolution that you are using. If that doesn't satisfy your needs, you will want to try using SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX to create a custom resolution that adjusts your display output timings. If you go to the DisplayConfigX website, there are some really good explanations of how it all works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Would also recommend you download and try the new control panel from ATI called ATI DISPLAYS 4.5.5 which can be found here:


[Oops. I'm a newbie and the moderator won't let me post a URL. Go to ATI website and you will find it]


There are a whole bunch of great new functions available, including the ability to set the amount of underscan by any percentage from 50% to 100%. Be sure and reboot after installing. And be sure and click on the ? in the Prefs pane for an excellent instruction guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrancois
So I hooked my Mac Mini up to my new DLP set, using the DVI to HDMI cable that came with the TV. It kind of works. ;) The mac recognized the Samsung, and set the resolution to 1280x720. It looks great, but I think I am seeing what is called 'overscan', in that the edges are pushed way past the screen edge. I.E., the top menu bar is off the screen.


There is also a VGA port on the back of the TV (haven't tried it yet), and there are many settings in the TV menu for tweaking the VGA settings (screen position, size, etc), but there are no comparable settings for the HDMI port.


Am I just screwed? The VGA port says it is going to 'stretch' things to 1024x768, and I much prefer the idea of a direct digital interface.


If anyone has solved this, please let me know! Or if you know I'm not going to get this to work, let me know that, too.


Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,025 Posts
Just an fyi, have you actually done this on a Mac? Usually it is a waste of time to download anything from ATI directly if you have a model like the mini with a built-in video card--functions are intentionally crippled per license agreement with Apple and as Mac users we have to wait for Apple to give us expanded display options--like, say, portrait mode--as they did with Tiger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I hear ya. But this time things are different. This was released just last week. I have tried it on the mini and it works. See the Read Me First file at the ATI website. As it explains, this one covers a lot of OEM Apple ATI stuff. In fact, all of it. Including ATI equiped PowerBooks. The only variability is if the card can support all the features. Some of the older cards cannot so you'll only get partial functionality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPatch
If you have OS X Tiger (10.4), then you will have the Overscan adjustment option.
Where is the overscan adjustment? I don't see it on either of my Macs, both are hooked to digital displays (via DVI not VGA or component).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
You have to have OS X Tiger (10.4) installed to have the overscan adjustment. If you have Tiger, go into System Preferences>Display>Options and click the Overscan radio button. This feature is intended to expand your video output to fill your screen not shrink it to reduce overscan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSteely
I hear ya. But this time things are different. This was released just last week. I have tried it on the mini and it works.
I am curious what this update does that's beneficial to a Mini? What are the risks? How easy is it to downgrade if things don't go well for whatever reason?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPatch
You have to have OS X Tiger (10.4) installed to have the overscan adjustment. If you have Tiger, go into System Preferences>Display>Options and click the Overscan radio button. This feature is intended to expand your video output to fill your screen not shrink it to reduce overscan.
I have 10.4 and both macs are connected through DVI and there is no display->options available. This feature must only be active for those connected through analog means (vga, component).


The ATI display utility is virtually worthless as well when connected through dvi or hdmi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I had my mini connected through a DVI->HDMI cable to two different HD CRTs. I had the option both times. It should be there.


Direct quote from Apple support site:


"With some televisions, you can turn on overscanning so the picture expands to fill the screen. To turn on overscanning, open Displays preferences and click Options, then select Overscan."


Don't know what to tell you if you can't find it. I will look at my mini tonight to see if I can give a better description of how to find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPatch
I had my mini connected through a DVI->HDMI cable to two different HD CRTs.
I'm guessing the key word in that sentence is 'CRT'. So in the case of an LCD or a DLP, correcting overscan through the display panel is not an option.


Anyways, overscan can be corrected on the Samsung DLP itself. The mini need not come into play.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,025 Posts
well, overscan can be corrected by the Sammy DLP but only up to a point, as I mentioned above. By switching to "pc wide" picture mode, mdfrancois should see a full screen but he'll have a minimal 1" or so black border around it--that is if his mini and Sammy functions like my mini and Sammy DLP (the 4663.) It won't completely fill his screen.


Just for comparison's sake, I also plugged my 15" PB running 10.4.2 (with its ATI Mobility Radeon 9600) up to the Sammy digitally--also going DVI to the HDMI in of the Sammy DLP--it detected the Samsung DLP (but not the specific model#) selects 1280 x 720 (its native resolution) but also doesn't fit the screen precisely (just like the mini with its crippled 9200.) The "Options" tab shows up, however, and I can check/uncheck "overscan"--as I can with the mini--after playing around a bit and trying the different picture mode permutations checked and unchecked--the best combination (for me) is still Sammy picture mode in "PC wide" and "overscan" checked--but it still doesn't fill the screen.


Same PB (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 and 10.4.2) different digital display, this time an LCD: it shows "Rotate" option under display prefs using DVI to a Dell2005--but no Options tab for "overscan" appears, but it isn't necessary because it detects the exact Dell model, sets 1680x1050 automatically and fills the screen precisely and gloriously. (As the mini via DVI to the Dell does as well--precisely, gloriously, and sans Options/overscan tab.)


So for NJPatch and Andrew67, I can at least confirm that the Tiger Options tab/overscan checkbox does appear active "sometimes" when you connect digitally to a DLP or LCD--but it's value is variable, zero value in my specific case. I don't have any CRT's left lying around to check, I've given them all away, but I imagine it might be more helpful to those owners who have had some trouble getting past the learning curve of SwitchRes and DisplayConfigX and getting them to work. This has been mentioned many many times previously, but the Mac mini is a good performer, it does some things very well and is quite a value IF you happen to pair it with the right display--I'd have a very different affection for my mini if I had any one of the many mini-display-related issues which have been reported.


I've been burned by the ATI "ReadMe" babble of previous releases 4.5 and 4.5.1, so I'll wait for some other guinea pigs to actually reveal if this latest does anything meaningful for any Mac mini or PB owner, beside help those trying to connect for some reason via composite or S-video.


BSteely, if you could be so kind to reveal what you actually tried to do with your mini and what actually "worked"--how you were connected, be it analog or digital--and what you were connected to--that would help other mini owners and would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I have only specifically seen this option when connected through the Apple Video Adapter using either composite or S-VHS. It's possible that when you have a pure digital connection, there is no overscan option. It sounds like the solution will have to be with the Sammy, anyway. It might be interesting to try hooking up through one of these connections if you have the Adapter and see if the overscan is available and if it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
My config was a Mac mini with ATI Display 4.5.5 installed connected to a 32" Sony XBR VEGA via S-video. Under this condition there was active a Mac2TV preferences pane within ATI Displays that allowed me to control image size and centering with a good deal of precision.


The ability to make these types of adjustments were not active on the mini when making a DVI connection to a monitor. I don't have a DVI/HDMI equipped display (yet) so I can't say how a mini might react in that case. It sounds like some are saying it works and others are saying it doesn't.


It seems like it would be worth a try to hook up the Sammy via S-video and see if you can't adjust the picture to fill the screen. I realize it isn't a digital connection, but since scaling is taking place under DVI/HDMI anyway, will the image quality really suffer that much by comparison? I wonder.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc
well, overscan can be corrected by the Sammy DLP but only up to a point, as I mentioned above. By switching to "pc wide" picture mode, mdfrancois should see a full screen but he'll have a minimal 1" or so black border around it--that is if his mini and Sammy functions like my mini and Sammy DLP (the 4663.) It won't completely fill his screen.


Just for comparison's sake, I also plugged my 15" PB running 10.4.2 (with its ATI Mobility Radeon 9600) up to the Sammy digitally--also going DVI to the HDMI in of the Sammy DLP--it detected the Samsung DLP (but not the specific model#) selects 1280 x 720 (its native resolution) but also doesn't fit the screen precisely (just like the mini with its crippled 9200.) The "Options" tab shows up, however, and I can check/uncheck "overscan"--as I can with the mini--after playing around a bit and trying the different picture mode permutations checked and unchecked--the best combination (for me) is still Sammy picture mode in "PC wide" and "overscan" checked--but it still doesn't fill the screen.


Same PB (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 and 10.4.2) different digital display, this time an LCD: it shows "Rotate" option under display prefs using DVI to a Dell2005--but no Options tab for "overscan" appears, but it isn't necessary because it detects the exact Dell model, sets 1680x1050 automatically and fills the screen precisely and gloriously. (As the mini via DVI to the Dell does as well--precisely, gloriously, and sans Options/overscan tab.)


So for NJPatch and Andrew67, I can at least confirm that the Tiger Options tab/overscan checkbox does appear active "sometimes" when you connect digitally to a DLP or LCD--but it's value is variable, zero value in my specific case. I don't have any CRT's left lying around to check, I've given them all away, but I imagine it might be more helpful to those owners who have had some trouble getting past the learning curve of SwitchRes and DisplayConfigX and getting them to work. This has been mentioned many many times previously, but the Mac mini is a good performer, it does some things very well and is quite a value IF you happen to pair it with the right display--I'd have a very different affection for my mini if I had any one of the many mini-display-related issues which have been reported.


I've been burned by the ATI "ReadMe" babble of previous releases 4.5 and 4.5.1, so I'll wait for some other guinea pigs to actually reveal if this latest does anything meaningful for any Mac mini or PB owner, beside help those trying to connect for some reason via composite or S-video.


BSteely, if you could be so kind to reveal what you actually tried to do with your mini and what actually "worked"--how you were connected, be it analog or digital--and what you were connected to--that would help other mini owners and would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
mdfrancois,


I have a Mac mini and a HTPC hooked up to my TV. I just got an HL-R5067 replancement for my HL-N model. See my disatisfaction with the new model here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ed#post6168735


The HL-R has much more image size / position adjustment in "Wide PC" mode on the VGA input than the HL-N. Such adjustments are not usually provided with digital inputs like DVI and HDMI because they would require either elaborate optics or digital resampling. My HL-N model did provide such a subsampling (underscanning) mode for the DVI input, however, but digital inputs are at their best when displaying pixels 1:1 (native mode.)


I found the HL-R VGA input to have an acceptable adjustment range in "Wide PC" modefor the mini and I did not need to resort to software correction on the mini. In fact, I've not yet installed Tiger. The DVI output from the mini is not the problem; it worked perfectly with modest overscan when plugged into my HL-N. With the HL-R, the digital input (HDMI) is worthless for computers, due to unacceptable overscan and no "PC mode (subsampling/underscanning mode) support.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top