AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently bought a sony bravia kdl-46x2000 here in the uk (usa model I think is xbr or something like that ) As I run a photographic studio my intention was to connect my ppc mini via a dvi to hdmi cable to get the full 1920x1080p resolution to show clients my work using photoshop/ iphoto. All I seem to get is a unsupported signal message on the screen with the hdmi input. I currently have it connected to the vga input on the lcd but the max resolution available with this input is 1360x768 which looks ok but this lcd is one of the new 1080p sets. It doesn't support 1080p on the pc/vga input only via the hdmi input. I am sure I have read on this forum that some people have managed to do this with this model. Any ideas on how to get this to work?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Likely you are bumping up against a known limitation with the PPC mini trying to drive non-coherent TMDS receivers at pixel rates above 135MHz. I had a similar problem trying to drive my 1080p LCD TV over HDMI. What I ended up doing is installing SwitchRes X (the Control Panel version; not the full version) and then I had to build a custom timing with a lower pixel clock. I had to use real short blanking to get the dot clock down to 135 MHz but it worked. Here are the details of the timing I used in SwitchRes:

Pixel clock: 135 MHz

Horizontal Active: 1920 pixels

Horizontal Front porch: 16 pixels

Horizontal Sync width: 16 pixels

Horizontal Back porch: 40 pixels

Vertical Active: 1080 lines

Vertical Front porch: 1 line

Vertical Sync width: 3 lines

Vertical Back porch: 46 lines

H and V Positive sync. boxes are checked

Interlace box is unchecked

Use simplified settings: unchecked

Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a Sony KDL-46XBR2 and I set the picture to "Full Pixel" in the video settings to get it to work best with this setup. Did not have to mess around with SwitchRes, although that is what I initially tried until I found this setting in the TV. In my set the setting is in Menu --> Screen --> Display Area, then change this to Full Pixel instead of Normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I've found that too, and my picture is ok. But just ok.

When I look closer there's shadows on the lettters and small detail-fuzz - a sort of anti-aliasing where there should be none.

Also, If I try to display a checkerboard picutre that I've made in Photoshop (one pixel black, one white, one black etc.) it does NOT display that picture pixel for pixel, but just as a grey color. THAT can't be right...?

If I try the above settings in SwitchRes my TV just say that the resolution is not within range of display (cant' remember the ecxact words)

Any help is apreciated...

Peter

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the KDL-40XBR2 and I have hooked up both a G4 mini and an intel MacBook to it at 1920 x 1080p with no problems. No switchres needed, but select "fullpixel" as chimpware stated. I did need to restart my computer for it to "see" the LCD however.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a similar experience. I was able to connect my Mini to a 52XBR4 with a standard PC cable from the video out (with adapter) to the PC connection of the HDTV, resulting in great looking full resolution. No messing with settings was necessary. I have not tried to put up any patterns in Photoshop, but I can try and repost. Could be a difference in the SONY models.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejk /forum/post/13165964

Yeah, I've found that too, and my picture is ok. But just ok.

When I look closer there's shadows on the lettters and small detail-fuzz - a sort of anti-aliasing where there should be none...

I have a Mac Mini (late 2006, I guess) and a Sony 40X2000. Works fine with VGA, but at a lower pixel count; when I am using a DVI-HDMI adapter, it accepts 1080i (but not 1080p) just fine, but the picture is not great. A bit of anti-aliasing, and the characters look very roughly pixellated. Some problems with colours as well. Switchres was of no help, although I don't know what the right figures should be.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
first, you really need an Intel Mini with the newer Sony's. the PPC Mini's internal graphics just aren't good enough no matter what you do. time to upgrade.

second, the 2006 Intel Mini's could not output 1080p. the best you can do is 1600x900p. the Sony sees it as 1080p input, i don't know what it does with it. anyway, with this setting my DVI to HDMI connection picture quality is great. yes, use full pixel, no overscan. however, the processor chip (or its integrated graphics) is not quite fast enough to avoid some slight stuttering when displaying 1080 files.

third, the 2007 Mini's do output 1080p and users report their faster processor handles them ok. a good buy, but i'm waiting for the next spec bump 2008 Mini coming soon. working with video, a faster processor always helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr /forum/post/13478335

first, you really need an Intel Mini with the newer Sony's. the PPC Mini's internal graphics just aren't good enough no matter what you do. time to upgrade.

second, the 2006 Intel Mini's could not output 1080p. the best you can do is 1600x900p. the Sony sees it as 1080p input, i don't know what it does with it. anyway, with this setting my DVI to HDMI connection picture quality is great. yes, use full pixel, no overscan. however, the processor chip (or its integrated graphics) is not quite fast enough to avoid some slight stuttering when displaying 1080 files.

third, the 2007 Mini's do output 1080p and users report their faster processor handles them ok. a good buy, but i'm waiting for the next spec bump 2008 Mini coming soon. working with video, a faster processor always helps.

A quick browse of Apple's site shows that all intel minis share the same graphics card, so I'm not quite sure why you would draw the conclusion that 07 models support 1080p and 06 models do not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40X2000 and I am facing the same issues as other posters:

"[...] shadows on the letters and small detail-fuzz - a sort of anti-aliasing where there should be none. "

I tired some of the solutions presented here but none of these worked.

Switching to 1600x900, the sony did says the input was 1080p but as expected the width and height of the screen decreased giving me les real estate. More importantly the picture quality did not improve.

I know this is not a problem with the mini per se since it worked beautifully with my Sharp Aquos at 1080p

Still looking for information on how to fix this. Anyone?

·
Registered
605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr /forum/post/13478335

I have my PPC mini attached via DVI to a 37" Westinghouse LCD at 1080p. No additional software need, it just recognizes the display and just works. The PPC mini can drive a big display at 1080p. However, you are right that it is time to upgrade!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would make sure that any proprietary enhancement settings are turned off on the Sony when connected to a Mac. This is true for any TV. A lot of times TVs will have some kind of digital processing going on that is meant to enhance the picture. More times than not these so called enhancements will totally destroy computer text. So make sure any settings like that are nulled out on the Sony.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, - BUT while the full pixel setting will ensure that the picture will fill up the entire screen and show the entire screen from the mac mini - it STILL isn´t as clear and without fuzzy shadows as for instance my PS3 ALSO going in the the Sony KDL-46X2000 via HDMI.

I've even produced a "checkerboard" picture in Photshop with everyother pixel black and the rest white. When shown via the Mac Mini its simply grey, but shown via the PS3 I can see the black and white pixels.

Im still in the dark on this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
**SOLUTION**

The problem was driving me mad with my Intel Mini and my Sony LCD 46" (KV something....).

Anyway, under Video settings there is an option for CineMotion. Turned that off. No help. However, there is also a Game/Text mode which I turned ON for HDMI 1 (it is already on for VGA by default) and BINGO!

I now have a perfect display!

WHEW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all you help, but DO understand me correct:

I have a nice picture and all, but if I set my MacMini to show a Photoshop rendered picture of only black and white pixels in a checkerboard formation, all I see is grey.

If I show the same picture on my Sony KDL 46X2000 from a PS3 I see everything I am supposed to see, namely black and white pixels. I can't fine the option for CineMotion or Game/Text mode on my Sony KDL46X2000 anyway, so I guess I'll have to live with that.

Peter

·
Registered
260 Posts
Has this ever been resolved? I'm having the same problem from a current iMac into a Sony 40XBR5. One thing I've noticed is that there's an "Overscan" option in display settings on my iMac. Uncheck the box and suddenly I get 1:1 pixel mapping on my Sony, but it fails to fill the entire screen. Odd, eh? Particularly considering that the iMac says it's outputting 1920x1080.

Any ideas? I'd love to get rid of these fuzzy letters and achieve 1:1 successfully (and, yes, I have every input on my Sony set to Full Pixel).

Thanks!

Nathan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.