AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to put together a HTPC for a long time now and get rid of my apple tv

I wanted the perfect combo of:

low noise

small

DVD player

HULU + Netflix + lots of online content

music + pictures playback

network connectivity to shares on my network

Nothing quite fit the bill until I came across PLEX ( http://www.plexapp.com/ )

I all can say is ...HOLY COW....how come this is not talked about on this forum? Is seems like the perfect option when mated with a new mac mini (nvidia 9400) or a hackintosh.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegod75 /forum/post/17014309

I have been trying to put together a HTPC for a long time now and get rid of my apple tv

I wanted the perfect combo of:

low noise

small

DVD player

HULU + Netflix + lots of online content

music + pictures playback

network connectivity to shares on my network

Nothing quite fit the bill until I came across PLEX ( http://www.plexapp.com/ )

I all can say is ...HOLY COW....how come this is not talked about on this forum? Is seems like the perfect option when mated with a new mac mini (nvidia 9400) or a hackintosh.

Mac mini has no HDMI or blue ray option, otherwise it would be great.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/17015504

Mac mini has no HDMI or blue ray option, otherwise it would be great.

extactly...if it had those two options (easily done in the next revision (5 years from now at the rate that its getting revised
)) and the mini would in my opinion be the ultimate htpc

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yep, it appears that the mini cannot do audio out of the MDP. You can do digital coax out of the headphone jack, but it's still not HD. Combine that with no blu ray option and ridiculous apple pricing ($600 for a system with 1GB of RAM?!) and the mini is just a poor choice all around.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/17015633

No audio.

How can ANY media equipment not have audio? U must be signaling some secret am not aware.

Am curious about a Mac-base HTPC. Apple products should, typically have a much friendlier/seamless user interface. Maybe I should mossie myself over the Mac forum see what they are talking...

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 /forum/post/17015530

extactly...if it had those two options (easily done in the next revision (5 years from now at the rate that its getting revised
)) and the mini would in my opinion be the ultimate htpc

Knowing Apple, that little revision will likely cost an additional $400.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 /forum/post/17017331

the mini display port is proprietary to apple since they made it, they specced it to not include audio
Wrong on both counts . Display port was designed by VESA as a royalty-free alternative to HDMI. The standard does include provisions for up to 8 channels of audio, but for reasons only big Steve knows, Apple simply declined to enable the functionality in their devices.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
The Mac Mini is very over-priced, OSX doesn't have as many media front end options as Windows or Linux, Plex is a decent out of the box solution but in no way compares to a well configured Media Portal setup, there's no BD drive option, no audio over hdmi/display port....

What I'm trying to say is the Mac Mini is actually a pretty poor choice for a HTPC. If you want quick and easy, there are cheaper alternatives. If you want more features/flexibility, there are better options. I use an AOpen MP45 build myself, which does everything the mini does for the same price and then some. But your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm right there with you Ix except I don't understand how much better media portal is then PLEX. Could you elaberate a bit further? I use PLEX in my hackintosh and it is great. It plays every kind of video file and the plugins are great. There isn't an HD audio option though, but from my reading in this forum the PC side isn't HD audio bullet proof yet and has plenty of bugs in it's own right. Plus not having to install codec packs and a bunch of other software to get things to work is a plus.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts