AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the final Java 1.4.1 is out for Mac OS X, has anyone installed it and tested it with DVARchive (which requires it and we've been using the beta up until now)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've installed the final and run it with OS X DVArchive 2.1 and it doesn't seem to be any different than before. But on the other hand, I didn't have any issues before either.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The final Java 1.4.1 VM for OSX has been out for months. Last week's update was actually a minor bug-fix release to the final release.

But yes, it all works fine. In fact, with last weeks' bug-fix, java apps like DVArchive now show their proper icon in the dock, instead of a generic application icon.

·
Registered
433 Posts
How interesting that you mention that. For me, the dock icon for DVArchive went from a Java Document icon, to a plain white document icon with the latest 'bug fix.' Bizarre that you get the DVArchive icon and I get a plain white one.

Quote:
Originally posted by madSkeelz
... In fact, with last weeks' bug-fix, java apps like DVArchive now show their proper icon in the dock, instead of a generic application icon.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ewww. That is weird. You are using the Mac-friendly distribution of DVArchive, and not the general one, right? [That is, you're double-clicking on a DVArchive.app bundle, and not just the jar archive.]

·
Registered
433 Posts
Interesting! Launching DVARchive.app directly WILL show the appropriate icon for DVArchive.app. However, I launch DVArchive Server Enabler, which then launches DVArchive, and in that situation the icon shown is the plain white one I mentioned. I guess you don't use the Server capability? Or do you use some other method to launch DVArchive.app that will allow you to use the server??

One more addition to my post. Just launched DVArchive from the Terminal (using SUDO so I can run as root) and this time I get the standard Java document icon. How fun - it's choose your icon! :)

Quote:
Originally posted by madSkeelz
Ewww. That is weird. You are using the Mac-friendly distribution of DVArchive, and not the general one, right? [That is, you're double-clicking on a DVArchive.app bundle, and not just the jar archive.]

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah, I don't use the server enabler AppleScript. My home LAN is WiFi, so I don't have the need to serve too often. You might want to try "Pseudo" or something like it. It's basically a GUI-method for launching someting as root. I dunno if it'll fix the icon problem, but it uses the standard authentication trampoline, so it's better/safer than AppleScript. [my two cents]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s.bradford
I noticed the Remote window's interface looked a "little" better, but is still in need of controls that draw properly.
The controls do draw correctly, but the Mac Java/Swing Look & Feel discards info that the application feeds it regarding button color. I personally think it is broken. It's one thing to supply a default background color, but it's another to ignore an applications deliberate setting of background colors.

Yeah, I'm not very thrilled with that part of the Mac Java stuff, though the rest of it really makes DVA look pretty :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.