AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a report on the DVD Player features for Panther at http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=204 that indicates that digital out will be suported. It will also support bookmarks so you can start a disk at the start of the movie rather than all the commercials. It can also pause or mute when a call comes in over iChat. You can also send video to one monitor while the remaining UI is on another. It looks like a mac HTPC is going to be easier to do soon.

Match this with a projector that supports DVI and away we go.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
This is great, finally a Mac based HTPC. And no you don't need a $3000 to buy one either. Panther will work with any G4 based Mac. Although a G5 would be sweet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
more specifically... there's been marked work done on the video in DVD Player... quartz extreme actually doing something good.

And the Sonica that I can't get to work for crap in XP works great in Panther.

I put an HTPC together for myself and am really kicking myself for not just buying an old Cube with a radeon and using that now.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I am a Mac guy for everything but HT (just ordered a new 15.2 Powerbook, yummie). The Mac has three strikes against it in terms of HT:

1) No High Definition

2) Whatever passes as a video filter for the DVD.app is not as good as Theatertek.

3) No girder

However, if you are going to watch movies on the go nothing beats a powerbook!

Cheers,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed Panther over the weekend, and the video quality is quite improved. Looking at movies on my LCD monitor is now better than looking at a dedicated TV. The higher resolution used to make the image fuzzy in full screen. No longer! And it supports digital audio in Panther. Now all I need is a DVI based projector to have a Mac based HTPC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.