AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my EyeHome just kicked the bucket. I'm looking for a new solution that will work streaming from my mac mini (and no, I can't use the mac mini as a HTPC, it's used for other things as well). I need something that will do HD (at least 720p) and divx, xvid, etc.

I don't want an AppleTV, since it won't do divx and xvid. So that's out. I've also got ethernet near the TV, so I don't need wireless

Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have an Eyehome in my system as well. It is too bad that Elgato didn't come out w/ an HD version of the system and has pretty much stalled any further development, it was solid and quite affordable--perhaps 'ahead of the curve' in these regards isn't too far off the mark. I'm keeping mine going (unless it dies too
) until I get a Mac Mini w/ Front Row in my main HT rack.

As an aside/partial answer to your question (as I'm assuming you want a Mac-centric solution)--I recently purchased an Xbox 360 which has taken some of the load off of the Eyehome...but, of course, its Windows Media Center '05-based (360 acts as an Extender, so I can either plug in a USB drive w/ Music, Movies or Pics or stream them, including HD WM files, to my TV). The music is from iTunes on my PC, which is, in turn, a copy of my original Mac-based iTunes library that serves the Eyehome.

You might also look at the new wares coming out of the recent CES, i.e. streaming boxes by Buffalo and Dlink. The Apple TV may also be an option as its a little uncertain what 3rd party might offer in adding other format support. The thread below touches upon folks desires to stream HD, including the latest flavor MPEG-4/H.264. In my mind, it'd be smart, if you were buying a new system, to get one that looks forward in this regards.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773709

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
mvrana -- I feel your pain, man. I've been searching for a solution to this for almost a yr, and just can't find anything that will do everything w/o making things very painful. My Eyehome has done a great job of streaming SD content from all of my macs (and my Buffalo Linkstation NAS's as well, which I discovered entirely by accident!) over the yrs, but I need a unit that can do true HD streaming (even, dare I hope, 1080p) as well from my macs, NAS's, external HDD's (through aliasing), etc. I was hoping that my ps3 would eventually allow me to do that, but any chances of doing that are likely VERY far in the future. At various times, I've ALMOST gotten the Tvix 5000 and a few others, but when Jobs let loose w/ the 'iTV' a few months ago, I figured my prayers were answered. Now the specs are out, and, although there may be some 3rd-party releases at some point that will allow me to show all of the media I have (and, hopefully w/ firmware upgrades, AT THE RESOLUTION I WANT), I get the feeling that it will be little more than an itunes store revenue machine for the foreseeable future.

So now I'm back to square one. I was hoping that CES might show me something, but there still seems to be a dearth of hardware providing even some (much less all) of what we want. Part of me is just tempted to suck it up whenever the core2duo mini's come out and just buy one, but I already have a dual core mini hooked up to the TV in the bedroom, and I wouldn't consider it that great (or user-friendly) as a media server.

Now I'm depressed again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My EyeHome box died as well so I replaced it with a LinkPlayer2. HD playback seems to be cool (DivX HD, MPEG2-TS), and although I usually have it connected to Wizd, I will also connect to the EyeHome server to play back EyeTV content from time to time.

This should cover what most of you are after (with an HD DVD player as an added bonus).

·
Registered
957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie /forum/post/0

...I was hoping that CES might show me something, but there still seems to be a dearth of hardware providing even some (much less all) of what we want. Part of me is just tempted to suck it up whenever the core2duo mini's come out and just buy one...(

I'm likewise waiting for announcements along the Mac Mini line. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a Core2Duo-based "HD" version, perhaps with HDMI output. That would tip the scales in my mind...I could do a hell of a lot w/ a dual-boot little powerhouse like that. It would fit in just the same space as my Eyehome does now, too

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Just heard that Sling Media is releasing a box to do this, or something close, called Sling Catcher. I'm looking for a solution right now too, but have yet to find something I like.

I'm looking at this right now, not sure how well it will work:

D-Link DSM 750

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.