AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the low end macbook with just 1gig of memory. I want to hook it up to my tv (samsung plasma 50inch) via HDMI from my onkyo 705 receiver. questions.

1. will this work?

2. what exactly do i need to order?

i will not watch but a few movies on it nothing in HD (mainly home movies), but i want to listen to my music through my system as well.

thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
1. will this work?

it might.

Quote:
2. what exactly do i need to order?

At least the Apple mini-DVI adaptor and a DVI to HDMI cable, perhaps also the Gefen DVI Detective, tough to tell until you try.

Search within this forum for previous threads that talk about going through an AVR, especially Onkyo AVRs--every brand and model is a little different in terms of HDMI switching--and then every HDTV presents its own setup and resolution issues. (Just fyi, many of us don't send any video through our AVRs, just audio.)

You'll also need an optical cable with a mini-jack tip or adaptor.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I will not watch but a few movies on it nothing in HD (mainly home movies), but i want to listen to my music through my system as well.

By the way, if your Macbook is your only Mac, meaning it'll do double duty carried around with you during the day and then you'd "plug" it in when you get home, don't rule out an aTV or Airport express (especially if music is your real priority.) It's really nice having everything in place and not having to dock anything. I've seen aTVs as low as $179 and refurb Expresses go for $79.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you chefklc. I will check the forums closer. I think the Airport Express would work, but I would like to have video we well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a macbook connected to my TV and onkyo receiver. I used an mini dvi to vga adapter from apple for like $20 and connected to TV with VGA. Pretty easy really, just have to search for the right display driver to get the resolution correct. For the audio, apple sells a mini optical out from the headphone jack, but only sends analog to receiver.

You can also use front row which would enable you to use a remote

I only use this at times, it is easier to stream thru airport for me and I have started to stream videos to ps3

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve7100 /forum/post/14352605

I have a macbook connected to my TV and onkyo receiver. I used an mini dvi to vga adapter from apple for like $20 and connected to TV with VGA. Pretty easy really, just have to search for the right display driver to get the resolution correct. For the audio, apple sells a mini optical out from the headphone jack, but only sends analog to receiver.

You can also use front row which would enable you to use a remote

I only use this at times, it is easier to stream thru airport for me and I have started to stream videos to ps3

I have my mini (1.66GHz Intel core duo) connected to my Onkyo 805 via optical and it sends digital... is it just the MacBook, or maybe there's a setting?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
For the audio, apple sells a mini optical out from the headphone jack, but only sends analog to receiver.

It should send digital (AC-3 and DTS) as well, Steve, that jack is a "combo" jack. Most of us use an adaptor tip like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

or a cable like this:

Quote:
is it just the MacBook, or maybe there's a setting?

Sometimes a program will hold onto the digital out, let's say EyeTV, and if you switch away to a different application, like Apple dvd player, it'll just pass PCM until you quit the first one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks. I checked out the macbook specs earlier tonight, and I had an Toslink Mini Male Adapter that I hooked up tonight and works well. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/14354643

It should send digital (AC-3 and DTS) as well, Steve, that jack is a "combo" jack. Most of us use an adaptor tip like this one:

or a cable like this:

Sometimes a program will hold onto the digital out, let's say EyeTV, and if you switch away to a different application, like Apple dvd player, it'll just pass PCM until you quit the first one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts