AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While certainly not deep storytelling, the pilot came across as a action filled light weight outing. I thinks it's perfect for a Friday night. I found it fun, will definitely watch again.

·
UHD Addict
38,237 Posts
I watched it last night. Meh!! Nothing great. I'll give it another episode or two before I decide whether to give up on it.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
It reminded me of Scorpion, just too much belief to suspend for me. I agree time went by quick and there were some good looking people but a one and done for me.
Disclosure, never really watched the original, wonder how many people watching this show were regulars and how they thought it compared......

·
UHD Addict
38,237 Posts
It reminded me of Scorpion, just too much belief to suspend for me. I agree time went by quick and there were some good looking people but a one and done for me.
Disclosure, never really watched the original, wonder how many people watching this show were regulars and how they thought it compared......
I loved the original show. I watched it back in the 80's and 90's. Based on just the first episode, it doesn't come anywhere close to the first one. But then I am looking back at the show after many years and also after it had many years of character development. While this new version has only had one episode with no chance for any character development yet. So while it might have potential, I think me comparing it to the original show will not help it's chances for my continued viewing of the the new Macgyver.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,424 Posts
I saw a few episodes on TV, but it wasn't until I retired that I streamed all 7 seasons from Netflix in July and August of 2011.

This reboot has a different feel, but retains the name and resourcefulness of the lead character (including the bending of the rules of physics, but then it's just a TV show). I like it!

Yes, there are some places where there was quite a bit of creative license, but at least the characters acted in character.

Scorpion turned me off when the team consistently acted out of character: brilliant people, "nerds" in various fields going out in the field and acting very un-nerd-like when the full force of the FBI, agents trained for violence, were at their beck and call but were consistently last to the fight. I kept on finding this inconsistent with its universe.

A super spy show should have the spy discovering secrets, thwarting the plans of evildoers, and, for some shows, managing to pull off some dangerous stunts, or at least attempting to. And that's what we have in this show. In other words, it appears to be consistent within its universe, and generally I like watching that universe, particularly when the spy is pretty cunning. (I guess that doesn't explain why I liked Get Smart when it was first aired, but it does explain why I enjoyed the original Mission: Impossible show until the network heads kicked the show off course.)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Not impressed. I know MacGyver is a guy who uses many items to solve problems, but why not also carry a gun. Sometimes a bullet will solve a problem better and faster than a paper clip.

I do like George Eads and thought his performance was spot on, but I found Lucas Till not compelling at all. I'll give it a couple of episodes before dumping, but I think the handwriting is on the wall.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Yeep as horrible as I thought it'd be...

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
Not impressed. I know MacGyver is a guy who uses many items to solve problems, but why not also carry a gun. Sometimes a bullet will solve a problem better and faster than a paper clip.
I'll give that a bit of a pass since it was stated the reason he doesn't carry one is it keeps him from being caught with one when under cover. As far as the moral objection he might have, that's kind of bogus in thise version considering he had no problem with others on his team shooting or blowing up his attackers. Heck, even Mac sent the boat back at the bad guys, blowing them up.

I do like George Eads and thought his performance was spot on, but I found Lucas Till not compelling at all. I'll give it a couple of episodes before dumping, but I think the handwriting is on the wall.
I find Lucas Till's version of Mac to be too cocky. He's not that easy going smart guy who is always thinking on his feet. Instead, he's like some thrill seeker looking for ways to do something out of the box.

One thing that really bugged me in the episode (among many others) was his reference to "Tin Foil". It's aluminum foil. Mac would know that since it's the properties of aluminum he was looking for in the first place. Even the graphic said Aluminum Foil.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I remember watching and liking the original McGyver, but won't watch this one. Seems too slick and they work for the government. I hate cop shows.

·
UHD Addict
38,237 Posts
I'll give that a bit of a pass since it was stated the reason he doesn't carry one is it keeps him from being caught with one when under cover. As far as the moral objection he might have, that's kind of bogus in thise version considering he had no problem with others on his team shooting or blowing up his attackers. Heck, even Mac sent the boat back at the bad guys, blowing them up.

I find Lucas Till's version of Mac to be too cocky. He's not that easy going smart guy who is always thinking on his feet. Instead, he's like some thrill seeker looking for ways to do something out of the box.

One thing that really bugged me in the episode (among many others) was his reference to "Tin Foil". It's aluminum foil. Mac would know that since it's the properties of aluminum he was looking for in the first place. Even the graphic said Aluminum Foil.
Tin foil was around before Aluminum foil. But many people still call it tin foil. Even though it is actually Aluminum foil. I'm guessing your average person has an easier time saying two syllables than five. I have certainly heard plenty of people call it Tin Foil.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can not think of a remake TV series that was as good as the original. After reading some of the comments, I will probably just skip this one. Another show I will give a pass without even trying is "Lethal Weapon". How can you expect to make chemistry like that work in a series without the original actors? You either have to try to clone them and fail or change the show-and fail. The next thing you know, there will be a "Dirty Harry" series.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,424 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can not think of a remake TV series that was as good as the original.
The Doctor Who relaunch (2005-current).

The Battlestar Galactica reimagination (2003 movie, 2004-9 series), at least for a few seasons.

Most remakes, though, seem to fall way short.

If I think an episode sounds like it will have promise, I'll try to catch an episode, or two or three, to make up my own mind. So far I like (not love, just like) the MacGyver remake. But pilot episodes often have to introduce characters, set up the premise, and the characters are still finding their pacing, or they may have more action or special effects than what they can sustain through the season, so it is often Episode 3 before one sees the show close to how the rest of the season may go.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
When I was in high school, 80's MacGyver was probably my favorite show. Although, I recently tried watching a few episodes and its basically unwatchable now -- dated, cheezy, etc. I'm ok with reboots on a conceptual level, although most, if not all, tend to suck.

That being said, the reboot here was awful. The lead sucks with no charisma, Jack Dalton has suddenly become Sam Axe. The girls are lame. MacGyver wasn't about James Bond tech gadgets, it was about MacGyvering stuff out of every day junk.

The black guy from the awful Rush Hour reboot? He was like the worst, most annoying part of that show.

I made it through about 45 minutes before deleting... might try the 2nd episode because, well, pilots...

But so far everything about this show was awful.

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is my dislike of the "cover story" roommate. What is the purpose of that? Single guys living alone are spies but guys with roommates aren't? I had better watch out that I don't get caught up in some "North by Northwest" spy drama, then.

Further, why have him as an unknowing cover, only to have Macs entire team come over for a visit and a top secret meeting on the back deck?

The roommate is simply an annoyance who must go away due to lack of purpose except for eventually becoming a mole.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts