61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
LMAO... Ya I'm out... Christ...

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
MacGyver is known as the guy who uses ingenious things to get out of a jam. Is there a magic hairpin that can make a terrible show good? :)

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,424 Posts
MacGyver is known as the guy who uses ingenious things to get out of a jam. Is there a magic hairpin that can make a terrible show good? :)
Probably not. But between some duct tape and a paperclip, I bet he can get out of being renewed.:laugh:

·
Registered
390 Posts
According to both the TV GRIM REAPER and the Cancel Bear, the show is well in the safe zone for renewal.

Too bad CSI Cyber is not still on the schedule. CBS could schedule a techno-doofus block: Scorpion, MacGyver, and CSI Cyber!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'm *almost* out..

FF'ed a lot of the train episode. Seemed like at the beginning Riley was just "randomly" tracking wet work guys on her laptop. Mac explained like 1/2 an hour later she was tracking their cell phones. Um.. OK. The CGI on the train ep was just awful. This was like the 3rd or 4th ep in a row where Mac built a thermic lance. I'm no expert on thermic lances, but I think this one was the most accurate construction so far... although, don't you need an oxygen tank to feed a lot of oxygen into the lance? And a lot of heat protection clothing? And eye protection from the brightness? And can a thermic lance actually be lit with a road flare lol?

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,424 Posts
I'm *almost* out..
I might not be that far behind you. It's a surprise that just the day before it aired I used a taser on my beard. :confused:

I'm no expert on thermic lances, but I think this one was the most accurate construction so far... although, don't you need an oxygen tank to feed a lot of oxygen into the lance? And a lot of heat protection clothing? And eye protection from the brightness? And can a thermic lance actually be lit with a road flare lol?
Once you get magnesium hot enough, a number of different things can be used as oxidizers, including iron rust. Yes, burning magnesium will consume some of the oxygen that is in iron oxide. (See Wikipedia article on Thermite.)

I was a bit surprised by both the long burning time and the amount of heat generated that could melt through a heavy steel coupling but not damage the pipe nor even get the pipe too hot to handle.

By the way, when I was a freshman in a community college, one night some students started a magnesium fire on the quad, and then when water was dumped on it it burned with a much brighter fire until the water was consumed.

By the way, since many diesel trains are actually diesel motor driving a generator, then that electricity is used for electric traction motors, why didn't MacGyver disconnect those power cables after the engine was sabotaged to go full speed, rather than going through all the troubles of trying to disconnect the passenger cars from the engine, and then later end up rewiring the power cables to run the traction motors in reverse? Or easier yet, flip off the circuit breakers or pull the fuses (like, maybe, in the panel behind where the engineer sits)? (Then there could be a second encounter with those trying to kill the witness or, sigh, room for even more commercials.)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I might not be that far behind you. It's a surprise that just the day before it aired I used a taser on my beard. :confused:

Once you get magnesium hot enough, a number of different things can be used as oxidizers, including iron rust. Yes, burning magnesium will consume some of the oxygen that is in iron oxide. (See Wikipedia article on Thermite.)

I was a bit surprised by both the long burning time and the amount of heat generated that could melt through a heavy steel coupling but not damage the pipe nor even get the pipe too hot to handle.
Check out a movie call Thief starring James Caan from the 80's I think. They use a thermic lance on one of the jobs and its done very accurately. The rest of the movie itself is pretty good too.

But yeah, I didn't get how you turn an electric shaver into a taser either :confused:. He claimed it was a 240 volt shaver, but aren't tasers and stun guns like 50,000 volts? LOL.

Richard Dean Anderson is spinning in his grave.

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
Check out a movie call Thief starring James Caan from the 80's I think. They use a thermic lance on one of the jobs and its done very accurately. The rest of the movie itself is pretty good too.

But yeah, I didn't get how you turn an electric shaver into a taser either :confused:. He claimed it was a 240 volt shaver, but aren't tasers and stun guns like 50,000 volts? LOL.

Richard Dean Anderson is spinning in his grave.
Even a 240 volt shaver would probably still be stepping down to 12 volts or less. Even if it didn't, 240 volts hurts, but won't knock you out. Heck, normal household current (even 240 volts) is only harmful to someone with a heart condition - so much so some people will work on outlets without turning off the breaker. It's easier than losing power to anything on the circuit and you aren't going to do any serious harm to yourself if you happen to touch both leads.

If he wanted some stopping power, using the coil element from a CRT display would be far more effective. Those things will knock you across the room and have you tasting metal. Even a heavy duty automotive or marine battery will do more than household current due to the available amps it can put out.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Even a 240 volt shaver would probably still be stepping down to 12 volts or less. Even if it didn't, 240 volts hurts, but won't knock you out. Heck, normal household current (even 240 volts) is only harmful to someone with a heart condition - so much so some people will work on outlets without turning off the breaker. It's easier than losing power to anything on the circuit and you aren't going to do any serious harm to yourself if you happen to touch both leads.

If he wanted some stopping power, using the coil element from a CRT display would be far more effective. Those things will knock you across the room and have you tasting metal. Even a heavy duty automotive or marine battery will do more than household current due to the available amps it can put out.
I dunno. 80s Mac was probably my favorite show back then. This version sucks because everything is so unrealistic and ridiculous. The "science & tech" is all ridiculous. Its like on Scorpion when they dangled a USB cable out of a flying plane and hooked it up to a laptop in a Ferrari chase car and managed to upload new firmware to the planes computer. Just stupid.

Even if we are giving some leeway to the science aspects, the team aspect of the new version defeats the whole point of the show. What's the point of having MacGyver when everybody except him has guns?

Jamming the bad guys gun with the tweezers from his swiss army knife? Jesus.

CBS does seem to have something with Riley though. I'd put her in a less retarded show and see if her charm carries over. You know, instead of putting the annoying guy from Rush Hour on an already sucky show :).

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
The Blu-ray is in my Netflix disc queue and should be arriving some time this coming week.

Even a 240 volt shaver would probably still be stepping down to 12 volts or less. Even if it didn't, 240 volts hurts, but won't knock you out. Heck, normal household current (even 240 volts) is only harmful to someone with a heart condition - so much so some people will work on outlets without turning off the breaker.
Actually, it depends on the path of the current. if the current flows across the heart (think hand-to-hand or hand to foot), it could be quite deadly. But from one point on an arm to another point on the arm, or across an inch of chest, no.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The Blu-ray is in my Netflix disc queue and should be arriving some time this coming week.
I burned the DVD many years ago, so I just fast watched it. I forgot Michael Mann directed this. Boy, he really loves heist movies. And Jim Beluishi is in it too. The lance scene is as good as I remember. Can honestly say that's the best lance scene I've seen in a movie or TV.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts