AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
The people who wrote that article are dumber than I expected. Yes, if they could slow themselves over some number of inches they could survive, but foam from a fire extinguisher inflating a body bag isn't going to accomplish that.

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
The people who wrote that article are dumber than I expected. Yes, if they could slow themselves over some number of inches they could survive, but foam from a fire extinguisher inflating a body bag isn't going to accomplish that.
The biggest issue is the inflation rate.

A fire extinguisher would take a good minute or more to inflate something the size of a body bag. You would need something more along the lines of the explosive inflators airbags use to get that immediate inflation.

Further, the whole stunt is predicated on the extinguisher being either foam or C02. Most extinguishers in a factory environment like that use multi-purpose dry chemicals, not foam or C02. In other words, they would be filling the bag with propellant and a coating of powder.

They would have been better off making parachutes out of the bags - or using them to make a rope to climb close to the ground.

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
By the way, since many diesel trains are actually diesel motor driving a generator, then that electricity is used for electric traction motors, why didn't MacGyver disconnect those power cables after the engine was sabotaged to go full speed, rather than going through all the troubles of trying to disconnect the passenger cars from the engine, and then later end up rewiring the power cables to run the traction motors in reverse? Or easier yet, flip off the circuit breakers or pull the fuses (like, maybe, in the panel behind where the engineer sits)? (Then there could be a second encounter with those trying to kill the witness or, sigh, room for even more commercials.)
In fact, all diesel locos are electric. No power from the diesel generator means the actually train motors won't go. I'd be careful of what you mess with electrically on them though. We're talking about enough electrical power being generated to pull a train, after all.

Further, modern train couplers are specifically designed to not uncouple when there is tension on them, such as when moving forward. It's to prevent them from uncoupling accidentally. In fact, the mechanisms can't even be reached because the protective panels that cover part of the mechanism have to be closed in order to even move the train. To uncouple, the car brakes need to be active and the train ahead of it has to pretty much jam itself into the coupler to disconnect it.

The only way you could uncouple a train in motion would be if you were using an 1800's era train with pin couplers. Even then, you would need to slow the train to take up the slack and remove tension from the pin. If the train were pulling, no human could remove that pin with hundreds of tons of tension on it.

However, the brake lines between the cars can be disconnected or even cut (though Mac would need more than his trusty knife) while in motion. Therefore, all he would have to do is disconnect the line (or lines - some passenger trains have a twin line setup) running from the loco to the first car, and the brakes would engage on every car connected once the pressure dropped and the auxiliary cylinders on each car activated. The cars might have to fight a bit against the power of the loco(s), but that would be one heck of a boat anchor for them to drag around.

Edit: Since I only play train engineer on the internet, I can't be certain, but if the brake lines leading from the loco were cut, it should also activate the brakes on the loco since the line would unterminated and be leaking air from the main cylinder. That should cause a pressure drop and result in the aux cylinder engaging the brakes.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
The biggest issue is the inflation rate.

A fire extinguisher would take a good minute or more to inflate something the size of a body bag. You would need something more along the lines of the explosive inflators airbags use to get that immediate inflation.

Further, the whole stunt is predicated on the extinguisher being either foam or C02. Most extinguishers in a factory environment like that use multi-purpose dry chemicals, not foam or C02. In other words, they would be filling the bag with propellant and a coating of powder.

They would have been better off making parachutes out of the bags - or using them to make a rope to climb close to the ground.
Well, if they could inflate the bag with foam from a fire extinguisher there's still a fundamental problem of energy release or dissipation. The bag has to burst in a controlled manner to gradually slow them. If it doesn't burst they bounce off having been given back most of the energy in the opposite direction like a ball bouncing on the ground. That's bad. If the bag bursts easily and offers no resistance it won't slow them down. That's also bad.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Folks are still watching this show? But then again some people are watching Lucifer.

I think Michael Westin in Burn Notice was the best modern MacGyver.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,424 Posts
I just had a couple "Oh sure!" moments :(

For wiring in the walls, contractors normally don't leave several feet of slack one can just pull out of the wall, so MacGyver shouldn't have been able to pull the cord out to shock the handrail. A couple of feet of slack is generous, but not six feet!

For shocking someone, one needs a flow of current. Someone hanging on a handrail wouldn't notice the electricity applied to the handrail unless the current could flow from the handrail through part of the body and then exit somewhere (such as a good ground). (I can present "Tango & Cash" (1989) as an example of where they got that part right when
Tango and Cash slid down the high tension wire but were not electrocuted because their bodies never had an exit point for the high voltage.
)

I haven't finished watching the episode so I don't know if there are more eye-rolling moments.

Sometimes it is easier to enjoy a show if you don't know where they are stretching their poetic license to the extreme.

ETA: Third :confused: when letting the bad guy with lots of bullets know that you are out of ammo. That just strikes me as bad strategy, even though the bad guy would likely think it's a bluff.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
They revealed the name of his adversary "Murdock" like it was a huge reveal/stunning moment. Anyone want to fill me in/ (I never saw the original if that is what it was about).

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,424 Posts
They revealed the name of his adversary "Murdock" like it was a huge reveal/stunning moment. Anyone want to fill me in/ (I never saw the original if that is what it was about).
I didn't think it was in reference to one of the A-Team members (the one who was crazy), so I did a quick Google search and came up with this in context of the 1985-92 MacGyver series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdoc

For the thumbnail sketch of the above article,
Murdoc is Angus MacGyver's most frequent opponent, a member of Homicide International Trust (HIT) and master assassin who never fails – except when MacGyver gets involved.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yes, I still watch this show. I just turn my brain off and watch how they get out of ridiculous situations with ridiculous solutions. Anyway---the new addition to the show (Isabel Lucas/Samantha Cage) caught my attention for one reason only. She is so thin, I dare say she is verging on being anorexic. She must be a size 0 or 1. I find this "look" very unappealing/unhealthy. This is just my opinion.

Also, I would venture that Tristan Mays/Riley Davis is rather miffed that another female (Lucas) has joined the cast and taken attention/air time away from her. Just a thought.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
George Eads is leaving MacGyver
By Lynette Rice, EW.com - Nov. 26, 2018

George Eads is done with MacGyver.

EW has confirmed that the veteran CBS actor will be written off the reboot sometime in 2019. He has played Jack Dalton, a former CIA agent who’s worked alongside MacGyver (Lucas Till), since the show’s launch in 2016.

The Hollywood Reporter says Eads asked to leave the Atlanta-based series so he could spend more time with his young daughter in Los Angeles. The trade also reports that Eads walked away from the set in October after an “altercation.”

MacGyver was Eads’ second drama for CBS. From 2000 to 2015, he played Nick Stokes on CSI. He was the last original cast member on the procedural, which ended after season 15.

MacGyver airs Fridays at 8 p.m. ET. on CBS.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/26/george-...ving-macgyver/

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Wow, might be a site record almost 18 months since the last post on a currently running show.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Me too, but this season I felt it got off the tracks a bit. Just fun light entertainment on a Friday night- glad it's coming back.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
I did enjoy the chemistry between MacGyver and his former partner, they really came across as friends. But the new partners, serious eye candy. I too enjoy the show. I always put it on when I have nothing left or just want something on while I am doing something else, but I find myself watching it instead of what I was originally going to do. Over the top and near impossible feats? Sure, but who cares, I am not watching a science show or documentary.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
CBS Sets Premiere Dates For Friday Night Series ‘MacGyver’, ‘Magnum P.I.’, ‘Blue Bloods’

Friday, Dec. 4

8-9 PM — MACGYVER (5th Season Premiere)
9-10 PM — MAGNUM P.I. (3rd Season Premiere)
10-11 PM — BLUE BLOODS (11th Season Premiere)

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Anyone watching the new season? Surprisingly I am still enjoying this. Sure it is not the best thing on TV and there are a lot of eye rolling moments but something about it is just fun to watch and the cast chemistry is really good.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The latest episode had "flash backs" of "Dalton" (George Eads). I regret that he left the show. His character really added to the enjoyment of the stories, IMO.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts