AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do NOT use an inuke 3000 bridged for the FTW-21. Even though the Ultimax 18 is rated lower RMS wattage (1000 vs 1200)and can handle it, the FTW-21 cannot. It measured 63 volts peak, which models in WinISD 0.7.950, 29.10.2016 as 1240watts @63 volts (see attachment). So according to the modeling, the sub should be OK. IT IS NOT! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

The sub was throughly tested this time, as my first sub had an issue and was replaced no questions. THis one will not.

BTW, modeling this way to determine the wattage for the Ultimax and a stereo integrity HT-18 worked out successfully. The FTW not so much.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EDIT:
To try to elucidate, the following is the scenario.
I have a bookshelf stereo/CD player with RCA jack subwoofer outputs. I use the stereo for music while lifting. I am currently powering a stereo integrity HT-18 in a ported enclosure with an inuke 1k DSP. The amp clipping red LED comes on during high levels of sound. No issues.

I got the FTW to add to the sound. Modeling in WinISP shows a flat response when installed in a 17cuft enclosure tuned to 21 Hz. Built. installed. Speaker stopped working after a few minutes. Mach 5 replaced, no questions asked. THe returned speaker voice coil lead connection was defective I was told. Warranty issue.

Replacement speaker installed. Set up the amp so the red clipping light flickers. Listening to the second motorhead CD, the replacement FTW stopped working.

Just checked a few things, which previous posts I had forgot.
The Behringer 1K DSP amp for the HT 18 and 3k DSP for the FTW are connected with a Y splitter. (The bookshelf only has 1 RCA jack pair.)
The 3k amp has the LP filter set at 20Hz configured as 2nd order linkwitz-riley at cutoff slope of 12dB/octave.
The 3k amp has the HP filter set at 578Hz configured as 4th order linkwitz-riley at cutoff slope of 24dB/octave.
After the sub stopped, I checked the signal voltage (NOTE: did not do prior) at 63 volts peak. This was measured with my fluke 87 set to record min-max. Max was 63 o er the course of a motorhead song.
In WinISP 63 volts signal at the speaker models as 1240 watts.

As for Mach 5 audio, customer service is top notch. That has not changed. After a few email exchanges regarding the second speaker, they have already refunded my money. This before I even shipped back the second speaker. While the product has not performed as I expected, I cannot say anything bad about the company. They have taken care of my problems whether operator induced or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Do NOT use an inuke 3000 bridged for the FTW-21. Even though the Ultimax 18 is rated lower RMS wattage (1000 vs 1200)and can handle it, the FTW-21 cannot. It measured 63 volts peak, which models in WinISD 0.7.950, 29.10.2016 as 1240watts @63 volts (see attachment). So according to the modeling, the sub should be OK. IT IS NOT! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

The sub was throughly tested this time, as my first sub had an issue and was replaced no questions. THis one will not.

BTW, modeling this way to determine the wattage for the Ultimax and a stereo integrity HT-18 worked out successfully. The FTW not so much.
What exactly do you mean cannot handle a bridged inuke 3000? What sized enclosure? What was the source material? Are you referring to mechanical or electrical failure?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
One of my FTW-21's has been powered by a bridged (3.4K watts) QSC DCA3422 (7 cu. ft. sealed box) and it has been fine for quite some time 😉

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

No high pass filter?

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you wrecked an FTW with 1200W then no way an ultimax would handle it either. Lower power handling, lower Xmax. No way it would survive. I’m feeding a little over 1800W to each of my four sealed UXL’s and have driven them hard without a failure in almost 3 years. Most of the significant parts on the UXL are shared with the FTW so I don’t believe 1200W would kill them if my UXL’s have taken 1800W+ for 3 years.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It sounds like you are a basshead and need 4x 21's. An Inuke can easily make smelly ultimax voice coils. Maybe try some B&C 21's?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you wrecked an FTW with 1200W then no way an ultimax would handle it either. Lower power handling, lower Xmax. No way it would survive. I’m feeding a little over 1800W to each of my four sealed UXL’s and have driven them hard without a failure in almost 3 years. Most of the significant parts on the UXL are shared with the FTW so I don’t believe 1200W would kill them if my UXL’s have taken 1800W+ for 3 years.
Lack of details from OP (who started a thread about how great Mach 5 was just before this) says a lot...an example would be if he used a HPF or not for the subs, and what content and to what extent/duration he was playing them at. I doubt the driver could handle 1200w in a cab tuned to the high teens with no HPF applied and having Bass, I love you on repeat...At that point, its not the manufacturer's or drivers fault.
There was even an issue with a JTR user blowing the driver and JTR replaced it for free thinking it was a defect when the user was simply playing EDM basically max for hours on end.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There was even an issue with a JTR user blowing the driver and JTR replaced it for free thinking it was a defect when the user was simply playing EDM basically max for hours on end.

I think I remember reading about that. Wasn’t it an orbit shifter? I’ve got two of those as well and have no idea how in the world someone breaks one of those! You can do a lot of damage to just about any driver if you’re not smart about it

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What exactly do you mean cannot handle a bridged inuke 3000? What sized enclosure? What was the source material? Are you referring to mechanical or electrical failure?
17 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 21 Hz.
Source material was motorhead CDs.
Electrical. Suddenly stopped. Checked voice coil resistance. Open circuit.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was going on when this driver failed?

Sine waves? Long sweeps? Hours of EDM? EOT on repeat?
Listening to motorhead.
Amp was putting out about 63 volts max as measured with my fluke model 87 multimeter.
This models as 1240 watts in winISP.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
what happened?
It just stopped making sound all of a sudden on the second CD while flickering the limiting red LED on the inuke. THis signal measured 63 volts max. 63 volts in WinISD

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This post contains no useful facts.........:mad:
Including my responses to others questions? What other facts might you be looking for?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of my FTW-21's has been powered by a bridged (3.4K watts) QSC DCA3422 (7 cu. ft. sealed box) and it has been fine for quite some time 😉
Yes, it is somewhat disappointing.
17 cubeic foot ported and tuned to 21Hz.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Did you have a high pass filter set? Another thing what did you have the amp gains set at along with the trim level on your AVR? I hope you had the limiter set if you did not that would cause major malfunction if you adjusted the trim set way too high regardless of what the limiter was set at it would still cause problems. Before things went south did you hear anything prior?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No high pass filter?
Just what is in the amp. From what I understand, the inuke starts cutting off below 20Hz?
Xmax speaker excursion limits according to WinISD 0.7xxxxx modeling don't happen until 16Hz and lower.

Correction-LP filter set at 20 HZ second order LW
Correction to the correction HP filter set at 20Hz.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with your conclusion. Hence, the reason I figured an inuke 3k bridged with limiting applied would not be harmful.
Just sharing my experience.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts