AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So you set a HPF at 20hz ?

Did you verify the box is actually 21hz tune, they seldom come out perfectly tuned to what is planned........

If so, then I would also recommend a stack of PA460`s...........tuned to the high 30`s,low 40`s like a pro sub, or better yet a pro sub !!!!!

4 PA460 horn cabinets ?
No, did NOT verify.
PA460s... hmmm...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I hope this is a typo.
If not, how about you try to do it right and set HP filter to 20 Hz and set LP filter to like 250 Hz or whatever you like?

High Pass Filter = allows speaker to play frequencies above mentioned frequency
Low pass Filter = allows speaker to play frequencies below mentioned frequency
Then yes a typo. FIltering setup as bandpass to cutoff below 20Hz and above 578. Why 578? Because I had not decided where I wanted it yet. Was going to do based on listening.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Then yes a typo. FIltering setup as bandpass to cutoff below 20Hz and above 578. Why 578? Because I had not decided where I wanted it yet. Was going to do based on listening.
There is no point really to have LPF that high if your crossover is set somewhere between 60-100 Hz with main speakers. Not sure if there is harm either, but just saying...you wont be hearing any of >200 Hz stuff from sub in that case anyway.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
I took a look at the spectral content of a couple motorhead tracks.

if they are characteristic of what you were listening to, the subwoofer that you had wasn't the best tool for the job.
what you need is something that can really blast it from about 60hz up...i.e. high efficiency mains!
hellraiser.

sympathy for the devil

some jbl 4722N's would do you well.

if they are too much money, diysoundgroup has some stuff that could work. look for a 15" woofer and something with about 98db 1w1m sensitivity or more.

and, be careful if you are going to play with demons. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
maybe it is just this track/demo, but there isn't any 'bass' in his bass. still sounds good though. :)
No, thats exactly how Motorhead "bass" sounds like. No one needs that boring stuff below 100 Hz. Or bass with no distortion. That would be just lame. :D

Reactions: bebb

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I took a look at the spectral content of a couple motorhead tracks.

if they are characteristic of what you were listening to, the subwoofer that you had wasn't the best tool for the job.
what you need is something that can really blast it from about 60hz up...i.e. high efficiency mains!
hellraiser.

sympathy for the devil

some jbl 4722N's would do you well.

if they are too much money, diysoundgroup has some stuff that could work. look for a 15" woofer and something with about 98db 1w1m sensitivity or more.

and, be careful if you are going to play with demons. :)
Overkill, Iron Fist, Rock n Roll, are more typical. tracks.
"and, be careful if you are going to play with demons. :)" You know it.

"some jbl 4722N's would do you well.
if they are too much money, diysoundgroup has some stuff that could work. look for a 15" woofer and something with about 98db 1w1m sensitivity or more."
I'll have to check em out, thanks. You contribute much to this forum.

Reactions: LTD02

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No, thats exactly how Motorhead "bass" sounds like. No one needs that boring stuff below 100 Hz. Or bass with no distortion. That would be just lame. :D
I would multiple like if possible...

·
Registered
385 Posts
RIP Lemmy!

Motorhead is not even representative of the lack of bass in 80s or 90s rock.

Honestly coming out of the 33 or other vinyl record era where the "needle" was trying to track the mumps in the track there was not a great capability for dynamics in music or the jump the track would occur.

It took some time as the mediums transitioned to cd / digital for the new dynamic range to find its way into main-stream media. Bigger bass was part of the dynamic swing and the fear of over dynamic recordings is still true to this day as some still fear Ultra low frequency recordings blowing user systems. And fear of blowing user playback systems is still very valid.

Though catering to Lemmy's distorted bass amp and small string playing style should not be the only goal!

I'm a Killed by Death / Dead Man Tell No Tales / Ace of Spades fan myself...

Motorhead is no Basshead band though. Rock does not do much for low bass generally. Does not even treat the low B bass string players with respect...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Back on topic.

I have currently have 4 FTW-21s still rocking strong with no issues yet knock on subwoofer... 1 from like 2013, 1 one year later and got two from the last killer group-buy deal around late 2016?

They are still rocking strong, but I hope you get satisfaction with yours in time.

I probably abused my first one in a 6+ c.f. sealed cabinet with a bridged inuke 3000dsp using all kinds of synthetic tones and REW and trying to record live music into digital mess with fairly cheap microphones. SM57 and 58s and whatever. Live bass into cheap sound boards or pedals and then into cheap bass amps and into sealed FTW-21. Without decent / overrated power sealed woofers or subwoofers don't come alive. Same issue as mid-bass....

If an FTW-21 can't handle an inuke 3000 that is not being clipped, I would discuss sending it back. If the coil was cooked, then that is likely a user error. Cooking a coil is normally user error??? Unless a true problem with the coated wire? or?

Coil or any magnatronic wire is normally very thin and the coating even more so. I would hate to have to be on the hook for the quality of the small coated magnetic wire.... spun around many times around a coil of precision making.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Did you smoke the coil?
He said the coil was reading open. So it's a gonner dude, be it:
mechanically shredded death
or heat death
or bottoming
(or all the above).

He probably killed the 2nd one the same way he killed the 1st one... too much >40hz turned up to 11+ :p

Your demons need to raise MORE bass ;)
^^^
This is the type of music that the 21's are good at.
Even that music is not really all that deep, still lots of mid-bass in that too...

I've got my LMS-18's so hot with miami-style bass like this that they will burn ur hand if you touch the magnet... (4-8hours of continuous basshead bass, or whatever...)
Those subs have top notch cooling though. Any other sub likely would have fried in my hands. :p

High Excursion subs are for generating earthquakes.
PA subs for chest-kick/rock/metal/U-571 explosions.
If it doesn't feel like you got blown up when watching that, then you don't have enough mid-bass yet, or bass in general. MOAR BASS!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Speaker stopped working after a few minutes. Mach 5 replaced, no questions asked. THe returned speaker voice coil lead connection was defective I was told. Warranty issue.
This is from post 1. This sounds like manufacturer defect as worded. He used the words "defective" and "warranty issue". A burned coil would not be a defective part or a warranty issue, that's user abuse.

VC leads don't usually fail thermally anyway, it's almost always mechanical, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a burned lead connection.

I agree that a bunch of PA drivers are probably a much better choice for this type of music.

·
Registered
161 Posts
High excursion subs aren't good at rock/metal music,
I think that is part of your problem here.

You need a pair of B&C 21's, or 8 PA-460's.
If you smoke that config, then you are a true basshead...

You don't need more watts, you need more cones. 8 PA-460's would be better than dual B&C's.

You'll listen to my advice the easy way, or the hard way. HEHE :p
BTH with facts:cool:

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is from post 1. This sounds like manufacturer defect as worded. He used the words "defective" and "warranty issue". A burned coil would not be a defective part or a warranty issue, that's user abuse.

VC leads don't usually fail thermally anyway, it's almost always mechanical, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a burned lead connection.

I agree that a bunch of PA drivers are probably a much better choice for this type of music.

Yes, they do actually. I've seen a few. Usually it is the negative connection that goes.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Overkill, Iron Fist, Rock n Roll, are more typical. tracks.

various recordings will be a little different of course, but this is what i measured for tracks off youtube.

overkill has some bass down to 55hz or so. the whole thing is much more balanced than most of the other tracks. not sure if it is the mastering, a stylistic thing, or just shear exhaustion, but animal is about 10db hotter at the beginning than at the end on the drums. :)

iron fist

rock n roll.

techie note: my spectrumlabs have 10db/decade adjustment so that full bandwidth pink noise measures flat from 10hz-20khz.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 76 Posts