AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to the whole A/V scene but are doing pretty good with a top end Yamaha receiver with B&W floor speakers with surround then same. Right now I have a CRAPPY 8in Yamaha cheapo subwoofer that I have been meaning to get rid of but always end up buying something else. I most recently have been looking at the Mackie S410s http://www.mackie.com/products/s410s/index.html . My question on this is what all would I need for this to work with a (my) standard type receiver? I know I need an amp but I see the hookups going into the sub are totally different from what Iv seen. Soooo how can I make this work on the cheap if that is even possible...Or is there a better sub out there that would give this much bass, but is active instead of passive. I have a sub for quality bass with movies, but this one I want is hard hitting but can still have decent driver response while being less than $1000. Hence the 4 10' drivers

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkinawaMarkII /forum/post/15572712

So I'm new to the whole A/V scene but are doing pretty good with a top end Yamaha receiver with B&W floor speakers with surround then same. Right now I have a CRAPPY 8in Yamaha cheapo subwoofer that I have been meaning to get rid of but always end up buying something else. I most recently have been looking at the Mackie S410s http://www.mackie.com/products/s410s/index.html . My question on this is what all would I need for this to work with a (my) standard type receiver? I know I need an amp but I see the hookups going into the sub are totally different from what Iv seen. Soooo how can I make this work on the cheap if that is even possible...Or is there a better sub out there that would give this much bass, but is active instead of passive. I have a sub for quality bass with movies, but this one I want is hard hitting but can still have decent driver response while being less than $1000. Hence the 4 10' drivers

There is virtually no discussion of Mackie subwoofers on this forum. I was surprised to see the sub rated down to only 40 Hz. I don't know much about the Neutrik Speakon connector, but you probably can get them attached to your speaker wire without much trouble.

The real question is: how would the Mackie compare with something like the Epik Caliber? If you can spend up to $1,000 the Caliber and several other subs like the SVS PC-12 NSD, and the Ed A5-350 would probably go much deeper, and sufficiently loud.

The pro subs basically trade deep extension for high level mid-bass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts