AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a MacroVision hack/firmware for my Panasonic CP72, such as found on sites like:
http://www.dvd365.net/

and NO--it's not for any illegal purpose on my part. The sad fact is that many plasma displays (like my NEC 4210w) somehow 'trigger' MV-scrambling when using Progressive over component-cables. This results in my not being able to view my owned/original dvd's _unless_ I first copy them to dvd-r. Ironic that copy-protection may force me to copy, yes?

Please link me to a site/individual with Panasonic firmware hacks so I don't have to 'pirate'.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had already been there, but the mod for CP72 stated that it worked only for PAL and only for Interlaced (not progressive).

I don't want/need a hack to copy interlace/movie to a vcr--I just want to use progressive on NTSC original dvd-movies I already own.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HapHazard
I had already been there, but the mod for CP72 stated that it worked only for PAL and only for Interlaced (not progressive).

I don't want/need a hack to copy interlace/movie to a vcr--I just want to use progressive on NTSC original dvd-movies I already own.
The jvbdigital mod for the CP72 will do do what you need:

http://www.jvb.nl/jvb.asp?section=mo...itle=448&cur=2

It makes the CP72 MV free, enables all region playback and PAL playback.

"This modification enables PAL playback in interlaced mode only. PAL progressive is not supported."

This is just a warning that it will not give PAL progressive output.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you are right--thanks for the correction.

70./139. a tad high for a MV-hack, however. I may just RMA the cp72 and go for a hackable mega-changer (know of one--Sony?Kenwood?) and/or pair one with a component>svga adapter to circumvent the issue on my display (if I can find such an adapter for under 199.!).

Thanks again, though...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I put the JVB mod on my CP-72 (it's a pretty easy DIY job if you can handle fine soldering) and it does everything - all region, plays back PAL discs (in interlaced PAL only. It doesn't do conversion) and defeats Macrovision. It is also claimed to defeat the more sophisticated DVD copy protection so that you can copy to a DVD recorder, but I haven't tested that yet, since I'm waiting for the replacement for the HS2 before I buy a burner.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My display only has 'issues' with MV (and only on Component-in, at that). For dvd-r copies, I waited a long time, but now the means is extant what with cheap Pioneer's/Dvd2One/DVDDecryptor/Copy2Dvd/and the like. My copies play perfectly on the 480P from the CP72--with far better PQ than my originals on Interlaced! The thing is, if I'm to bother getting either a svga outputing receiver/switcher/composite-adapter for 200.+, then I'd be inclined to pony-up for the convenience of a mega-changer while I can still RMA the CP72. The Sony looks good (and is also 'moddable' through jvb), and the CX985V 400+1 looks even better (but not due until Sept.). But I'd rather find a solution involving free firmware disabling of MV (but appreciate advice above!).

decisions...decisions...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo
It is also claimed to defeat the more sophisticated DVD copy protection so that you can copy to a DVD recorder, but I haven't tested that yet, since I'm waiting for the replacement for the HS2 before I buy a burner.
I have a jvb modded Panny plugged into my HS2 and works "as advertised"

Took a lot less time than the many free hacking schemes. And works!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.