1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

is there macrovision on the avia dvd??

i'm using a jvc vhs vcr as the OTA NTSC tuner for my projector,

and frankly, the color looks horrendous.

ideally, i'd like to send some of the test patterns from avia out the composite of my dvd player into the line input of the vcr and then

set the color/balance of the projector.

however, i don't think this will work if there's macrovision enabled for this dvd.

actually, if i could inject the test patterns through the RF of the vcr, that would be better, but the nearest thing i have for a signal generator is the avia dvd.

any thoughts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm certain there is no Macrovision on the Avia disk. If you have a projector, the disk is one of the best investments you can make.

It sounds like you are using an rf video connection between the vcr and projector.

If you are just trying to get the best video signal you can for that particular projector video input module, then what you propose will work ok.

If your projector has other inputs like s-vhs or rgb, then you can get a much better dvd image by direct connecting the dvd player thru one of them. I've played around a lot with JVC vcr's and my projector, and I've learned not to get them into the setup loop.

Of course, if you are just trying to make a tv set out of the projector, you'll be fine.

Ray

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, i'm trying to get the colours out of the ntsc tuner in the vcr correct over the composite input of the projector.

OTA via the jvc vcr tuner is currently the only way to get 'ENTERPRISE' into the projector.

i did previously have a rca dtc100 but my projector would not

synch up to the 540p output of the 4:3 programming.

i suppose i could hook up the RF out of my old CLD-3030 LD and inject

it into the RF input of the vcr, then use my old video reference LD.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Doesn't the vcr have a composite input? Couldn't you just connect the laser disk composite out to the vcr composite input?
it does. but the avia dvd has a more complete set of test signals.

and i'm also trying to account for any colour differences associated

with the vcr tuner.

okay, what i need is a dvd player with rf output!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sorry, I understand where you are heading now.

The thread caught my eye because I spent umpteen hours tweeking an old JVC 6900 vcr trying to improve it's performance related laser disk, dvd, and cable performance. I got it back close to it's original specs, but I would never touch an adjustment pot inside a functioning vcr again.

Using a laser disk or dvd setup disk into the vcr got the best performance when finally switching over to the tuner path. You may have a problem with the tuner itself.

What I've noticed about Enterprise so far is it is one of the worst looking series on our cable system. It seems to be very dark, washed out, and noisy. Of course, it could be my cable company, but some of my friends on different systems have made the same comment.

What I did a few years back was to upgrade to a newer JVC 7000/9000 series vcr with the digital frame noise buffer. I usually tape Enterprise, then watch the tape later on the projector. The frame buffer cleans up a lot of the noise issues and the tape looks better than the live broadcast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.