AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought the 30hr showstopper and was hoping to be able to record rental dvds and vhs tapes if i didn't get a chance to watch them..so i could watch at a later time...after reading this forum i know i cannot do that with this unit but for 100 bucks im not complaining...

question is : is the macrovision on the dvd or does it come from the player...can u disable it on the player? if so are there any players that are hackable (software menu) where u could disable macrovision??? i have a pioneer dv-333

ok so maybe im complaining alittle....:)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
A) There are several forms of Macrovision copy protection.

B) It's on the media, not the player.

C) There are devices to remove SOME forms of Macrovision, but there's no guarantee you'll end with a perfect picture. SIMA makes a few different models to do this.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
B) It's on the media, not the player.
Not really. The FLAG is on the media, but the macrovision is actually generated by the PLAYER. If the player detects the MV flag on a disc, it is supposed to impart the MV signal on it's outputs. BUT, some players, like mine with handy little switches or others that can be hacked with hidden codes or hacks, can be made to ignore that flag, so any DVD will play without macrovision. So the player is ultimately in control. Same thing for regional checking, although some discs are finding ways to override the player in that regard :(

·
Registered
678 Posts
The original, not current, Apex AD600a DVD player is perhaps the best known but not the only one with a Macrovision defeat--the famous "Loopholes" menu.

See what you can find on eBay.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toomuch
thanks for the info riker....what kind of dvd player do u have with the cool little switches....:rolleyes:
It's the very first DVD player, the Sony DVP7000. Once folks discovered the switches, they made changes to the motherboard and ultimately the software in future runs. But I bought my unit as soon as they were made as I had a hunch that DVD was going to be big. It was rough for a little while there, I fought through the divx wars and the holdout studios and all that, but it's obviously finally 'made it' :)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It is possible to do a hardware mod to the Pioneer to remove MV, I have a DV525 that was modified at the shop before I bought it.

Like RJ said, the old Apex AD600A came with a loophole menu, but many of the newer Apex models can have MV turned off if you upgrade the firmware (easily done with a CD-R). Check www.nerd-out.com for info on the various Apex players.

The old Raite AV715 player (no longer available) would also let you turn off MV.

Several Samsung and Sampo players will also let you do this.

If you do a comprehensive web search you will find many sites that list the various players that can be hacked, either with the remote or by changing the hardware.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rob,

I've got an APEX 600A but a newer model so no hidden menu - how do you upgrade firmware with CD-R? what I read on web indicates you need to open box, replace EEPROMs, etc. I don't want to go there but if its a simple software solution - lead the way.

God I hope you're right. I don't want to pirate DVDs but I can't tell you how many late returns to Block Buster I've endured because family can't view DVDs at same time. :eek:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have Apex DV-500W and the only upgrade available was a new firmware chip, the player was 98$ and the chip was 18$ shipped. More info - do searches on www.nerd-out.com ( look for firmware chip ads in their "for sale" part). Or and the latest firmware upgrade for my Apex is not only Macrvision off, but also lets you switch between region 1 and 0 in the menu. Apex 500W is available form Kmarts and Wallmarts, they have no questions asked 30 days return policy (of cause you void warranty by opening the box, although if you are carefull you could open the box , without breaking the label).

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flem
Rob,

I've got an APEX 600A but a newer model so no hidden menu - how do you upgrade firmware with CD-R? what I read on web indicates you need to open box, replace EEPROMs, etc. I don't want to go there but if its a simple software solution - lead the way.
It's the newer models that are flash upgradeable, not the newer AD600As. You are correct, to upgrade your AD600A you will have to replace the chip.

I haven't kept up to date on what models can be upgraded and which ones need new chips, etc, so www.nerd-out.com is the best place for the info you need.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tres
Hey,where are those switches.I happened to have the same one.

I'll crack open the case this morning
Oy, it's been so long I don't remember all the details... There were three different models of the DVP-S7000. Only the very first ones have the switches. Check the date on the back of the unit. There is a little sticker in fine print that has the date at the bottom. Mine says March 1997. Somewhere around mid-April they modified the motherboard and removed the switches. However, the hackers just had to work a little harder to wire up jumpers to emulate the switch. Then, in models starting sometime in May, they changed the software to disable that function completely. Also, if you sent in your unit for repair, it's likely they upgraded the software "for you". So if your unit is labeled March 1997 or earlier, the switches are right on the motherboard, somewhere in the middle, maybe under something that you have to remove first, I can't recall the details. If it's April or May, it may or may not be able to be easily hacked with some soldering. If it's after May 1997, then it's not possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.