AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I finally got to see some videos that show actual gameplay and I am now very curious and this game is very much on my radar. The game kind of reminds me a little bit of Rage (a feeling I also got at times when watching the new movie) but with much more of everything. Hopefully the gameplay mechanics will hold up in the final release.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Just got my pre-order in today for the One version. I'm currently going through the original movie trilogy (I've only ever seen Mad Max) before I watch Fury Road and play the game. I enjoyed the first movie and look forward to watching the others.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I posted this on another forum as well:

Really digging Mad Max so far - it's a bit like the lovechild of the Arkham games and Far Cry. Hand-to-hand basically uses the Batman mechanics; though enemies seem to be faster or have a shorter counter/dodge window, making it just a little tougher. There are outposts and lookout points, very similar to FC. Car combat is fun, but feels like the harpoon may be a bit OP, and I only have the first level of it. I think the landscape looks beautiful as well. It's not getting great reviews, but for the life of me I can't understand why.

The one thing I did find a little weak was the sound during the opening cutscene. Seems like it was ripe for really immersing you in it, but then I found I had to up the sound quite a bit (in Witcher as well) to have an appropriate game volume. Oh, and driving was a little sloppy at first, but I think that was the base tires I had.

Highlights for me (still very early in the game):
Getting sniped at while talking to an NPC
Quick drawing my shotty and killing a knife-wielder and another guy with one shot
Some raider jumping from a car onto mine, then shotgunning him as he was punching me through the window

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just got my pre-order in today for the One version. I'm currently going through the original movie trilogy (I've only ever seen Mad Max) before I watch Fury Road and play the game. I enjoyed the first movie and look forward to watching the others.
I recently re-watched the original trilogy (or tried to at least). I enjoyed the first one, fell asleep during the second one, and gave up halfway through the third one. Despite that, I'm looking forward to Fury Road. This game is getting good reviews too, but I don't think I want to pay full price for it.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I got the game today (traded in a few games and got this for $20) and played for a couple of hours (just got the nitro boost for the Magnum Opus). I'm enjoying the game so far and really don't agree with the complaints I've read in various reviews.

PROS:
Graphically the game really looks nice with some sharp models, a nice view distance and a solid framerate. The driving is a bit touchy at first as the car feels loose but it's not too hard to get accustomed to the feel of the vehicles. Combat is reminiscent of a simplified version of the Batman Arkham games but there is really nothing wrong with that; sometimes too many options can be counterproductive. The pace of the game is also very laid back so far and I like that as it allows me to take my time and plan what I want to do. The story is sufficiently interesting and it looks like there are a lot of options for upgrading and customizing Max and his car. There are also a lot of subtle nods to the Mad Max movies like Max's knee brace and a dog that looks oddly familiar.

CONS:
When driving, you have the choice of two views: behind the car and a cockpit mode view; both are serviceable but I would have preferred a hoodtop view as I've always had a little trouble driving when seeing the car on screen and the cockpit view is a bit claustrophobic. The control layout is a bit odd (left trigger to jump for example) and took a bit of getting used to. The camera can occasionally be problematic, especially when driving and trying to center the car on the screen. And on a personal, OCD driven note, I'm not wild about some of the 8 point achievements as it means my gamerscore does not currently end in 5 or 0 (what can I say, I like symmetry). Overall though, these are all minor quibbles.

The game is a little reminiscent of Rage from a few years back, but in a much more expansive world. I'm liking what I've seen so far and look forward to continuing to explore the world the game has set up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.