AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This comes from our friends at Anchor Bay ...

July 23rd is the release date and it's retail of just $19.95 so it will probably be like $15 at Best Buy.

Synopsis

From the Creators of “RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER and “FROSTY THE SNOWMAN

Baron Von Frankenstein, voiced by the legendary Boris Karloff (DR. SEUSS’S HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS), holds a special convention of The Worldwide Organization Of Monsters to discuss his retirement. When he announces that his successor will be his nerd nephew Felix, the world’s major monsters are mortified. Now The Creature’s Bride (voiced by Phyllis Diller), Count Dracula, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and more must all scramble to steal the Baron’s ultimate secret during one wild party packed with cool monster music and outrageous monster madness!

The mad monster classic you loved as a kid is now better than ever! Filmed in the revolutionary stop-motion of “Animagic†by Rankin/Bass (creators of such holiday TV classics as RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER and FROSTY THE SNOWMAN), MAD MONSTER PARTY has now been spectacularly restored for the first time ever from original 35mm elements and is loaded with tons of exclusive mad monster extras!

Includes a 24-Page Collector's Booklet with liner notes and rare photos by Rankin/Bass Historian Rick Goldschmidt

Starring: Ethel Ennis, Boris Karloff, Phyllis Diller, Gale Garnett

Director: Jules Bass

Producer: Arthur Rankin, Jr.

Features

• Full-Frame Presentation

• Production Art Gallery

• Theatrical Trailer

• Poster And Still Gallery

The description says it's loaded with tons of extras but I don't see a whole lot here. I know that there was an interview conducted by Billy West (Ren & Stimpy voice) with Phyllis Diller and some others for a dvd release that never happened from last year. I wonder if they couldn't get the rights to use this interview because I think it was someone else trying to get this dvd going a year or two ago. There was also rumor of a special "tin" for this dvd release. I hope there is more, but this is still cool.

By the way, I own the madmonsterparty.com website :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Crow,

I remember always looking forward to watching this as a child anytime I knew it was being shown...very fond memories. This looks like a great release!

Howie

·
Registered
81 Posts
It was apparently discontinued on video some time ago when I was looking to get it for my kids. It was somewhat well done. I thought the Invisible Man was funny. I don't think you mentioned the Creature form the Black Lagoon nor the unmentionable Kong. It was a hoot alright and I'm glad to see it back.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Rankin-Bass won't release "The Bermuda Depths" 1978 which I would like to see on a wide screen DVD.

BTW I have the OOP CD Monster Mash with Bobby 'Boris' Pickett with the original 12 cuts, only it's in stereo. I have my own monster mash party, "The girls all go to my humble abode, to get a jolt of my electrodes. They do the mash the monster mash, it was a grave yard smash....". I listen to it on my super sound system of which I have mentioned, but nobody comes see if it really exists, your loss.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.