AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As one of the unfortunate projector, etc. owners (X1) who has had their request ignored for 480p dashboard support in the new MS/Xbox dash (I was holding on to the dream), I've been thinking.

Can anyone tell me if the MadCatz ultra AV adapter has both component & S Video outs. (like the one for PS2) The web site states only Svid & optical BUT the picture of the adapter clearly has a set of component cables beside it.

If this were the case fellow X1 users (at least) could view the dash at a press of a button rather than (nearly impossible, I my case) switching of cables.

This does assumes you have nothing better to do with the S video in. Which in my case, I could also then use the Xbox for watching DVDs and give my PS2 to charity. (well maybe I'll hang til GT4)

Am I still Dreaming?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
foos, I'm anxious to see your comments, I also have an X1 and swapping cables is a pain.

As far as the gdxbox review link above, what a mess! Composite video cables combine the picture and sound? UHF? I think this guy might've been thinking of the RF signals. Plus, he never tested the component signal.

The price for this adapter is nice. If it could output both component and S-video, it would be perfect.

Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I picked up the MC ultra AV adapter.

It didn't go as well as I'd hoped. It does come with all the cables. (composite, Svid, optical, & component.) & EB is running a promo with Madcatz, buy one MC product and the second is half price. (so I bought something else I didn't need)

1st BUT, as the reviewer stated there is nice little sliding green dustcover to cover the outputs your not using. Unfortunately it only allows you access to either Svideo OR component. I think to myself no problem I'm handy and pop off it comes. Underneath the cover I find a switch. (which was triggered by the sliding) SO, the switch gives you the choice of component only OR either composite or Svid.

OK so I have to stand up on the couch, flip the switch and them hit the input select button on the X1 remote if I want to see the dash or use my box for movies. Still this is way better than the nightmare of switching cables. (I have all of my AV components stashed well, well out of reach of my little monsters) It would still be worth it to me, and now for the big BUT.

The image quality through the component is CRAP (artifact patterns and shadows/halos everywhere). I switched back and forth between the xbox HD pack and the ultra AV to make sure and unfortunately it is unusable. On the positive side further testing revealed that it was so bad that the regular composite signal through the Ultra AV looked better, SO I'm thinking the unit is defective. It might take a few days before I can exchange it. I might add there was some other weird stuff happening when I had both Svid and component plugged in at the same time but I think it was the projector defaulting to the Svideo ports settings which are different than what I have set up for component. I should be able to deal with that.

I hope it is defective but we will just have to wait and see.

If any one else is use the Ultra AV I'd love to hear about it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did finally exchange my ultra AV but sadly the was only minimal improvement if any.

How MC can sell a product where the composite produces a better picture that component is absurd.

I really wanted this product to work. I think I'll take it up with the manufacturer.

Later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.