AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get it today? I'm eagerly awaiting my FedEx guy. This will my first Madden since 01. I've been playing ESPN. I'm up for some XBOX Live if anyone doesn't want to beat me too badly. :D

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I was looking forward to buying this version until I read the reviews on IGN and Gamespot, they both feel that there aren't enough changes from 2005 to really make the jump :(

I am SO disappointed, I was really looking forward to it.

Anyone know if EA will discontinue the online support for 2005? What about roster updates?

I am going to buy Fight Night 2 instead and continue my franchise in Madden 2005. I hope the next Gen version comes through.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586
I was looking forward to buying this version until I read the reviews on IGN and Gamespot, they both feel that there aren't enough changes from 2005 to really make the jump :(

I am SO disappointed, I was really looking forward to it.

Anyone know if EA will discontinue the online support for 2005? What about roster updates?

I am going to buy Fight Night 2 instead and continue my franchise in Madden 2005. I hope the next Gen version comes through.

With an exclusive contract with the NFL, I wouldn't expect any real enhancements to the series anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
From what I read on Gamespot, this whole new "QB vision" thing is a tad cumbersome and results in many more sacks.

Like the original poster, I'll just continue my franchise from a previous version (2003 I think).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I like it,

The changes made give you even more control on both sides of the ball and yes the new passing will take some practice especially if your QB has a narrow passing cone.

The changes are not for the casual player, but if your a Madden fan you will like the new version. Especially if you have any Madden rivalries against any of your buds.

I've bought and played every version of Madden since the Genesis version. It's the one game for me that gets played year round against my friends so I always get my moneys worth.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin
From what I read on Gamespot, this whole new "QB vision" thing is a tad cumbersome and results in many more sacks.

Like the original poster, I'll just continue my franchise from a previous version (2003 I think).
You can turn it off. For me since I haven't played a Madden in 5 years any changes will definitely be noticeable. I don't get sports games every year.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Guys, if you were looking forward to this game, don't let Gamespot and IGN discourage you. This game rocks, and the only thing that I can say is negative is that

a) same crappy graphics as always (that will change in november)

b) if you don't know the technicalities of the game you will hate it.

If you're a casual player who can't read the defense or you don't know what to do in certain situations ie. corner blitz, zone, man coverage, you will hate the game unless you turn off the vision cone. If you know these things you will truly apprecate what the cone has to offer. The precision passing is actually better and more responsive than the maximum passing was in the 2K series. The sense of accomplishment when you complete a great pass or pick apart a defense is great because you know YOU are running the offense. This is a hardcore fans dream, but again, I think Tiburon really alienated the casual crowd this time.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I just tried a quick game with my Steelers and got ripped apart. The cone thing takes some getting used to, but like I said before you can always turn it off.

Has anyone had a problem connecting to Live? I can't connect at all. I did the XBOX self test and it's pulling IP. I just can't connect to the service itself. I went to xbox.com and it said the service is up and running. Odd first time since 2002 I couldn't get on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
has anyone figured out how to turn on 480p for ps2 version? it is supposed to support it, but there is no option in the menu and holding triangle/x at startup does nothing either

·
Registered
220 Posts
EA got the college football game right, yet they totally screw up the nfl game... I think I will stick to ESPN NFL 2K5, its a much nicer game for the casual gamer I am. Madden might be good if you can run the option offense, now that would be sweet. the option is the best thing about NCAA 2006

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_somd
EA got the college football game right, yet they totally screw up the nfl game... I think I will stick to ESPN NFL 2K5, its a much nicer game for the casual gamer I am. Madden might be good if you can run the option offense, now that would be sweet. the option is the best thing about NCAA 2006

I wish there was as much control of the NCAA defense as in Madden, If you have a mediocre Defense, a good Option team is virtually Impossible to stop on any level so much so it's ridiculous. The Limited controls on Defense is the only problem I have with NCAA.

Option in Madden would be fun, but then again it wouldn't be realistic.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Option is a legitimate offensive style in football, just because no team uses it in the NFL doesn't mean one can't. The Falcons use some option type plays so why not.

And when it comes to defense, I just let the computer handle it, I screw things up too much. I am all about the offense

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
when EA decides to remove the code that makes your AI teammates retards and the CPU's teammates brilliant i will actually consider buying this without renting... but until i know that i wont break the disc in half because the computer runs an air tight d while my fellow defenders cant even run a cover 2 properly, ill only madden a rent.

Oh and the offensive line was horrible in ncaa, as was the noted ai difference between human and cpu games like above.

Nice to see exclusive rights go to a publisher that we know would half ass it and give us fluff instead of real indepth gameplay.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I played the Xbox version last night, both with a franchise and online. My impression was nothing great, same old Madden (not that that's a bad thing, mind you). I thought the 5.1 audio was less than impressive, however. Sounded very "tinny" to me for some reason. Graphics were..so-so. Gameplay was fairly solid..i turned off the precision passing, couldn't/didn't feel like getting used to it. Cumbersome, as someone said earlier, is an accurate description. Definitely need to bump it up to all-pro mode for the franchise.

All in all, it's nice to have a new Madden, but they could've done more with it.

Matt

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm not surprised this year's incarnation supposedly doesn't have many noticeable improvements.I would think the reasons for this are:

1) They're basically at the point where the current consoles are close to maximizing their potential.So while you'll see little improvements,there won't be anything dramatic.

2) More focus is being placed on the next-gen versions.So while the current gen versions likely weren't considered an afterthought,you have to wonder how much effort they gave on giving you an otherworldly experience with 360,PS3 etc, around the corner

3)I've wondered since the announcement was made months ago how much effort EA was gonna put into Madden without their primary competitor,the 2K line by Sega,around to drive them.Without competition,what motivation does one have to put their best foot forward,especially when you know you've got a sizable fanbase that will buy what you put out regardless of how many/little improvements are made.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Definitely no surprise, given their position as the only game in town...this is the same company that put out the exact same NHL game for the Genesis 3 years in a row. (96/97/98, I believe).

Expect more of the same in the next gen, with prettier packaging and a bigger price tag.

·
Registered
220 Posts
nope not waiting for the x360 version. I probably won't get and x360 till there are second generation mod chips out for it. xbox is good enough for me to watch tv shows and stuff on. A nice xvid has better quality than standard definition directv

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.