AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Virtually every direct view TV that I have looked at in the 27 to 32 inch range is made in Mexico (Sony, RCA, Panasonic), Thailand (Toshiba), Malaysia or China. Can anyone suggest models that are made in the US?

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
You're kidding, right?

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
Perhaps... but I would argue that those sets may be 'assembled' in USA, but many/most of the internal components are manufactured elsewhere.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You are about 10 years too late. At least I got one a couple years ago that was made in Japan, top quality. Now its Mexico or China and they have poor reliability compared to the great sets of old. I have a spare 20year old Toshiba thats still working like brand new.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
--that those sets may be 'assembled' in USA--

They are assembled in Mexico, too. Does that make them Korean? By your strict definition, the US doesn't make cars either.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Try this and see if your read Made In USA, this is a DIY of converting a computer RGBS to a daisy chained 11 changers and one single player into my F38310 component input. You know I didn't get it cheap and to convert it to what I have said would be even more; but it works and works well. Here is the starting point on the IN3506, hit make it larger then look for where it's made. www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by e vey
They are assembled in Mexico, too. Does that make them Korean?

No... it just makes them no different than most every other electronic product sold in the US.

By your strict definition, the US doesn't make cars either.

Not by strict definition, but that's correct.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
--No... it just makes them no different--

I am sorry. I should have been more specific as to "They."

I will pose a question: If a television (not Curtis Mathes) is asssembed in Mexico from Korean and Chinese parts, where, by your definition, has it been built?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I knew a guy who was an electronics engineer for one of the last US companies. He was part of a group that made continuous engineering changes to TVs to fight problems. Getting anything major done sounded like a bureaucratic and political nightmare. If you looked inside the US TV it was a rat's nest of parts, connectors, and wires. The biggest problem was with connection failures in all the wires. If you looked inside a comparable Japanese TV at the time it was two circuit boards. That's one reason TVs aren't made here anymore. We fell behind in technology.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by e vey

[BI will pose a question: If a television (not Curtis Mathes) is asssembed in Mexico from Korean and Chinese parts, where, by your definition, has it been built? [/b]
To go back to the intial post:
Can anyone suggest models that were made in the USA?

Assuming that he/she was asking about a TV that is 100% USA manufactured, the answer is 'none'. That can also be applied to almost any commodity throughout the world.

With that assumption and your stance...

If all of the components in any TV (even Curtis-Mathes) are from Taiwan, Korea, China, Hungary, etc. but assembled in Boise, Idaho... Does that make it "Made in the USA"?

Secondly... to display the label, "Made in the USA", what is the criteria used to based that claim. Is it just where is assembled? Where the components are manufactured? At least 51% of the internal components are USA made?

I don't have an answer...

Senseless semantics IMO.

Parts from all over the world.

Assembled wherever.

Almost nothing today is completely "made" in the USA and just because "Joe Smith" in Boise monitors a computer screen on the assemby line, doesn't make it "made" in the USA.

·
Registered
217 Posts
All you have to do is put two parts together in the USA and you can say made in America. Sad thing is anything can be classified as a part. Company X could subcontract entire subassemblies overseas and buy them as one single "part". Company X for example could buy completely assembled and tested TV inards from Korea as one part and a completely finished TV chassis from PROC as a second part. If there is an operation in the USA putting those two parts together (be it snap, screw, bolt, weld, tape, or glue), they can stick "Made in America" on it.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
I'm glad I live in a country where people will not assemble TVs for a nothing wage--but I'm not pure--I'll happily pay less for a TV even if it's built with child labor. I'm ashamed of myself, but that's the truth and sadly it probably is the truth for alot of people out there.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
the reason many electronics are no longer made in the USA is directly related to manufacturing cost. In the USA typically speaking workers are greedy and quality ia not comparable to japanese....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
--workers are greedy--

Except that average US wages are now below those of the Japanese. Has anyone noticed how very little comes from Japanese workers these days?

Chinese labor is cheapest. Mexico is more expensive, but shipping is less.

So who is greedy now?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.