AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some "Made in Japan" receivers that I found. Which would you say are the best ones on the list, and why? Are there any other great affordable "Made in Japan" receivers that can be added to the list?

Denon AVR-4306

Denon AVR-4806

Denon AVR-5700

Denon AVR-5800

Yamaha DSP-A3090

Sony STR-DA777ES

·
Premium Member
93,214 Posts
Not that it really matters where they are made, but the newer Denon AVRs 4311CI and 4520CI are both mfr'd in Japan and both use the most advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and would be your best choices among the Denon models listed. If you have that kind of cash ($1300/$2000), go for it, otherwise the lower/mid level Denon AVRs mfr'd in China will serve you just as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1468646/made-in-japan-receivers#post_23213205

Not that it really matters where they are made, but the newer Denon AVRs 4311CI and 4520CI are both mfr'd in Japan and both use the most advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and would be your best choices among the Denon models listed. If you have that kind of cash $1300/$2000), go for it, otherwise the lower/mid level Denon AVRs mfr'd in China will serve you just as well.

Woah, those definitely aren't affordable. They're about $1000 more than what I'm willing to pay for a receiver. Does Audyssey MultEQ XT32 matter if you'll only have a 2-channel setup? I only have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 speakers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1468646/made-in-japan-receivers#post_23213229

Audyssey works on 2 or more speakers (and sub if in setup) ... just depends on you budget and how critical of a listener you are as XT32 is the best. If the 4306 and 4806 are in your budget range, they both use the next lower version MultEQ XT so would work well too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1468646/made-in-japan-receivers#post_23213229

Audyssey works on 2 or more speakers (and sub if in setup) ... just depends on you budget and how critical of a listener you are as XT32 is the best. If the 4306 and 4806 are in your budget range, that both use the next lower version MultEQ XT so would work well too.

What exactly does Audyssey MultEQ XT32 do? How exactly will it improve the sound from a pair of speakers? The Onkyo TX-NR818 apparently has this feature but it's not made in Japan but can be had for below $600. Doesn't each brand have their signature sound when it comes to receivers as well? The Onkyo 818 probably won't sound like the Denon receivers that you mentioned which are more than twice the price.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1468646/made-in-japan-receivers#post_23213249

You can learn more about Audyssey by clicking on the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig and on the link below ...

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Would the Onkyo TX-NR818 be the best bang for the buck since it has this feature and can be had for under $600? Is there any benefit with going for an older receiver like the ones I mentioned before? Is it possible that an older high quality receiver can have a more natural sound quality than a newer more technological feature-packed receiver? For some reason I keep thinking that an older high quality receiver will have a more natural sound compared to the more technologically advanced feature-packed all-in-one receivers that I imagine may have a more artificial sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts