AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any audio/video equipment still actually made in Japan? I used to have some really superior components actually manufactured there. Can you still buy any a/v electronics, turntables, etc. actually made on Japan?

·
Registered
20,853 Posts
Yes. As well as China, Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Mexico, some EU countries and believe it or not USA.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Turntables are best to be avoided unless they are customs like the Pro-Ject. That's because there is only one turntable manufacturer left in the world that makes the mechanism and they're in China. They pretty much make the mechanism for everyone - from he Crosley Cruiser mechanisms, to the famous Audio Technica AT-LP60 (and clones from Sony and others). Even higher end units often source the slightly higher end mechanisms. I think only the very highest end unit they make actually has a proper counterweight mechanism rather using a spring.

It's why if you look closely, they all are belt drives with terrible wow and flutter numbers that turntables from the late 80s and 90s easily beat. And plastic platters.

Same goes for modern tape decks. There's only one manufacturer left and They only make one model of mechanism. Luckily that mechanism has been made since the 80s and has proven to be extremely solid and reliable other than belts. It's also why it's an auto stop mechanism and not auto reverse.

For these formats you'd be best getting a used quality unit from the late 80s or 90s - the prices have declined to the point that unless you must have new, high end units are extremely affordable and cost less than a higher end new player. Unless you're talking about the Dragon. I think those are still unobtanium.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Is there any audio/video equipment still actually made in Japan? I used to have some really superior components actually manufactured there. Can you still buy any a/v electronics, turntables, etc. actually made on Japan?

Some of the higher end Denon/Marantz made in Japan, guessing some Yamaha, maybe Onkyo too as far as certain receivers and amps go at least. I'd imagine there could be others. Don't know if any TVs are made in Japan, certain projectors are. Some Japanese companies have sold out to China, or at least to some degree farm certain products out to China or other nations. It's disappointing, but I get it.

·
Registered
20,853 Posts
There are, but they tend to be the top of the line models. How fat is your wallet?
Which ones are 99% designed, parts, manufactured and assembled in Japan?

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Which ones are 99% designed, parts, manufactured and assembled in Japan?

Now that? I'd bet a big fat 000%. I could be wrong, but I'd imagine a lot of the components are made in China. Not sure what the % is for components to have to be made in Japan for it to say Made in Japan, but I doubt it is 100%.....:eek:

Reactions: leecreek

·
Registered
20,853 Posts
Made in "name your country" is never completely a product of that country from soup to nuts.

Reactions: polkandwhat

·
Registered
26 Posts
TSMC Taiwan has 50.5% market share in semiconductor chip fabrication and more or less almost every consumer electronic device has at least one IC produced TSMC.
In some segments, almost every chip available in market are produced by TSMC.

there are still products assembled in Japan; however components for these are sourced from different countries.
few examples are Denon X8500H, Marantz SR8012, Marantz Reference series, and there will a lot more.

Except for some very simple products, most of the complex consumer electronic products these days are designed and developed in collaboration with multiple partners spread across different geographies, hardware/software components sourced from multiple countries, and final assembly happens at one or more location, based on volume.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I do remember long ago (late 90s) seeing a crappy TV/VCR combo unit for sale at a CompUSA that featured, "Styled in Japan" on the box....:rolleyes: Kinda like all of Apple's stuff...."Designed in Cupertino". Pretty soon, "Designed by somebody possibly working anywhere in the world due to Covid-19 since we've realized we didn't need to actually waste a Billion dollars on a fancy building in Cupertino"......:eek: Sorry, I know getting off track here...:D

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Luxman is made in Japan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jonas2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts