AVS Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 6078 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffN9 /forum/post/16057926

Just to clarify I watch all of the locals OTA using the DVR's built in ATSC tuner

The offer still stands, if you, or anyone else, wants this week's Grey's Anatomy, etc in HD (or anamorphic widescreen SD, for a smaller file size), let me know ahead of time, otherwise I won't bother capturing any of Thursday night's programming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I' m going to find out when it is supposed to be on this week and set the manual timer on the DVR to start at least 1/2 hour before and stop recording at least 1/2 hour after the time listed.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffN9 /forum/post/16060791

I' m going to find out when it is supposed to be on this week and set the manual timer

OK, I'll take that as a you don't want an HD version.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK, I'll take that as a you don't want an HD version.

If I had a way of watching the download in HD I might take you up on it but my computer is not set up for HD. I also don't have my TV or DVR hooked up to the internet yet. For a couple of weeks out of the season I can live with watching it in SD.

Thanks again for the offer.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffN9 /forum/post/16061878

If I had a way of watching the download in HD I might take you up on it but my computer is not set up for HD.

Actually your computer is. If your CPU speed is 2GHz, or better. you can watch the SD widescreen or HD widescreen files on your computer monitor, just as if you were playing a DVD on your computer.

The program VideoLanClient will play the file on your computer screen. No HD display card, connection, etc, required. Right now, that is how I watch my HD programming, until I get the upstairs equipped with a projector and screen. I recently got a new HDMI capable 7.1 receiver, so that has been taken care of.

In the meantime, the computer works great.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
WHA has filed for termination of the analog channel on 4/05/09, between the 6:01pm and 23:59pm.

Reason: NonCommercial Educational station financial hardship.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/16062973

Actually your computer is. If your CPU speed is 2GHz, or better. you can watch the SD widescreen or HD widescreen files on your computer monitor, just as if you were playing a DVD on your computer.

The program VideoLanClient will play the file on your computer screen. No HD display card, connection, etc, required. Right now, that is how I watch my HD programming, until I get the upstairs equipped with a projector and screen. I recently got a new HDMI capable 7.1 receiver, so that has been taken care of.

In the meantime, the computer works great.

I only have a 1.6 GZ so it's a little choppy for me but watchable.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren /forum/post/16078967

I only have a 1.6 GZ so it's a little choppy for me but watchable.

That should be OK for an anamorphic widescreen version (480p).

What amazes me is that WKOW is actually capturing the SD network feed for playback instead of the HD network feed. That is so totally dumb. We know they can capture and serve HD, so why the SD.

At this point in time, I have not set up the computer to capture tonight's Grey and Practice, in HD.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with loacal charter and setting up CableCard? Are they multi cards or single? I am thinking of switching out my clunky, buzzing, smokin' hot Moxi for a TivoHD. Any body locally gone this route?

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanraff /forum/post/16085834

As far as I know, Charter doesn't offer a card, you have to use their stupid gigantic boxes.

I may be wrong.

Yep, you are wrong.

I have cable cards in my two Pioneer HD sets.

They work great.

But you do not get VOD or Charter's channel guide, but my sets do get the TV Guide channel guide.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborland /forum/post/16082511

Does anyone have any experience with loacal charter and setting up CableCard? Are they multi cards or single? I am thinking of switching out my clunky, buzzing, smokin' hot Moxi for a TivoHD. Any body locally gone this route?

I have an HD Tivo. It was not a short or easy process getting it setup with Charter, but now that it's finally working, I'm very, very happy.

Charter does have the multi card, though I made a point to request one when I set up the appointment to have the CableCard installed. Not sure if that made any difference, but the installer did bring a multi-stream card.

The install process with the field tech was fine -- he was very knowledgeable, professional and friendly. I've really had nothing but good experiences with Charter's field techs. It was Charter's back-end systems that made this a real pain in the butt (surprise!).

After the field tech installed the cable card, we tested out the channels and found I wasn't receiving any of the digital cable channels. He called in and had them make a change on the account, and the digital channels started working.

We did not test the HD channels, however, and that turned out to be a mistake. When I later went to watch something in HD, found I couldn't tune into any of the HD expanded basic channels (ESPN, etc.). Called Charter, the woman I talked to thought she saw the problem and fixed it, but it might take a few hours for the change to take effect. So I try the HD channels the next day, still no luck. Call Charter again. Get a lovely rep who tells me Charter does not support cable cards. Hang up, call back, talk to a 3rd rep, who's able to immediately see the problem -- all of the HD programming had been assigned to a standard def cable box in our guest bedroom. She properly provisions my account, and voila, the HD channels work.

Ideally, that would've been the end of it, but noooo -- this is Charter we're talking about. I get my next bill and I'm still being charged $10/month for the HD receiver, even though the CableCard fee is supposed to be $2/month. (And this wasn't a charge for the previous month, it was listed as a charge for the next billing cycle.) When I called in to try to fix the bill, the Charter rep I talked to said that it wasn't really for a receiver (even though the line item on the bill said HD Receiver) but it was rather an "HD access fee." He said Charter charged this fee regardless of whether or not you had their HD cable box. As much as I tried to reason with the guy -- there was a story in the State Journal and Charter's own shiny mailings about how the HD expanded basic channels would now be 'free' -- he said nope, there was absolutely nothing he could do, I had to pay the $10/month. But he did offer to cancel the HD Ultra tier (HDNet, HDNet movies, etc.), which would save me $5/month. I took him up on that, and then went around him and got someone else with a clue to take off the $10 monthly charge. So, their genius phone rep cost them $5/month for perpetuity as I can't say I've missed any of the HD Ultra channels and won't be signing up for that package again anytime soon.

Sorry for the length of the post, but now you've got a full picture of what's ahead of you. Once you have everything working, and Charter's not snatching an extra $10/month out of your wallet, you'll love the HD Tivo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had 1 cable card in my sony tv for 3 years 2 months and it has worked flawlessly. I have 2 cards in my series 3 tivo for 2.5 years and have had each one replaced on separate occasions the last replacement approx 6-9 months ago was a multistream card all had been single stream before anyway the tech said they needed a $40,000 piece of equipment to start using the multistream. I check periodically and dont seem to have two way. I cant imagine a $40,000 piece of equipment is a top priority for them with the situiation they are in.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/16067620

WHA has filed for termination of the analog channel on 4/05/09, between the 6:01pm and 23:59pm.

Reason: NonCommercial Educational station financial hardship.

And with WYCC-TV 20 signing off on 4/16/09 at 6 AM in Chicago, that signal (and WYCC's) will become blowtorches as they stop interfering with each other south and southeast of Madtown.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityBrad /forum/post/16085986

Yep, you are wrong.

I have cable cards in my two Pioneer HD sets.

They work great.

But you do not get VOD or Charter's channel guide, but my sets do get the TV Guide channel guide.

Pioneer? They make a DVR? Off to Gogle I go...

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNmedia /forum/post/16089548

I have an HD Tivo. It was not a short or easy process getting it setup with Charter, but now that it's finally working, I'm very, very happy.

snip

Sorry for the length of the post, but now you've got a full picture of what's ahead of you. Once you have everything working, and Charter's not snatching an extra $10/month out of your wallet, you'll love the HD Tivo.

Excellent writeup! Thanks for the info. I figured the phone part to be what I would despise.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/16080132

That should be OK for an anamorphic widescreen version (480p).

What amazes me is that WKOW is actually capturing the SD network feed for playback instead of the HD network feed. That is so totally dumb. We know they can capture and serve HD, so why the SD.

At this point in time, I have not set up the computer to capture tonight's Grey and Practice, in HD.

with my Charter 5meg I am able to watch 3 seperate games with 1500k quality WMP feeds of NCAA hoops, I have 2 open with VLC and 1 with WMP. All run smooth, never had a problem with WMP

Silverlight sucks ass at the same 1500k quality. Choppy and lags as usual.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Does anyone know if there has been an update in information about WISC's policy of handling TVGOS? It seems that neither WISC nor WIFR in Rockford seem to be passing on the TVG2X data field to viewers. I'm just wondering if anyone is getting electronic TVGOS from a DTV CBS affiliate.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
With their new bitrate offending SD stream now in operation, I captured the channel during Nightline and then ran it through TSReader to get the lowdown on the average bitrate.

The HD stream averaged 11.29 Mbps. Sad, very sad. They are now running about equal to the Fox fed 720p, though it hit 13.39 during Friday's Terminator.

The RTN SD stream averaged 3.06 Mbps and the new ThisTV averaged 3.37 Mbps.

The average was over ~30 minutes.

3981 - 4000 of 6078 Posts