AVS Forum banner

6021 - 6040 of 6077 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Well well well. Heavily pixelated channel 3 here in Muscoda at 6am. Now at 6:30 it’s actually watchable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It appears WZCK-LD is in the process of moving to UHF 24. They were on the air last night on that frequency but now they aren't on the air at all. Maybe they're testing?

Edit: FCC docs seem to indicate they need approval before going back on, but I'm not an expert understanding the docs. It looks like they're staying at their current transmitter location on Tokay.
Looks like they are back on the air on UHF 24. Rescan if you can get the station and want it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Nightmare.....to be continued...apparently.

I do antenna installations in the south-central Wisconsin area and have had to deal with this repack mess since October. In my area, the antennas get hit with channel 11 from WISC from the south and from WLUK from the northeast... The co-channel interference is horrible, and pretty much killed the NFL games last fall from WLUK. Add to the mess created when WMSN 47 stayed on their temporary antenna until the end of April. Another mess that's occurring is WIFS (57- Madison) is now on channel 21, and so is WCWF (14 - Green Bay). The boneheads at the FCC should have their heads examined.....:mad:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I do antenna installations in the south-central Wisconsin area and have had to deal with this repack mess since October. In my area, the antennas get hit with channel 11 from WISC from the south and from WLUK from the northeast... The co-channel interference is horrible, and pretty much killed the NFL games last fall from WLUK. Add to the mess created when WMSN 47 stayed on their temporary antenna until the end of April. Another mess that's occurring is WIFS (57- Madison) is now on channel 21, and so is WCWF (14 - Green Bay). The boneheads at the FCC should have their heads examined.....:mad:

This should all be resolved when phase 10 of the repack is done. WLUK moves to 12 and WCWF moves to 15. WISC was originally in phase 9, but due to sharing a tower with other stations in Madison and to get that work done in time for phase 6, they applied and were granted to move to phase 6 with an interference agreement with WLUK for the time between phase 6 and 9. Covid-19 pushed WLUK back to phase 10... and now here we are. After repack is done, WISC will be able to apply for maximization and hopefully they'll be able to greatly increase their power.

·
Premium Member
9,029 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow, the audio is way out of sync.

do you have an LG TV? I've heard some things that it's an issue... a rescan might help.

Also... Mr. Video... more channels means fewer bits, but encoders have come a long way! 5 channels now probably look about as good or better than the 2nd or 3rd channels did back in the early days of DTV...

·
Premium Member
9,029 Posts
Also... Mr. Video... more channels means fewer bits, but encoders have come a long way! 5 channels now probably look about as good or better than the 2nd or 3rd channels did back in the early days of DTV...
While that is indeed probably true, that is still a lot of bits being taken away from the main 1080i stream. The bits allowed for OTA DTV is still barely enough to handle a busy 1080i MPEG-2 stream. Adding a 720p and three 480i streams is still way too many, IMHO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Looks like they are back on the air on UHF 24. Rescan if you can get the station and want it.
I haven't seen WZCK-LD on the air in a while. Have tried rescanning twice in last week but no luck. I'm only a couple miles from their transmitter and haven't had reception problems in the past. Anyone picking up a signal from them?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I haven't seen WZCK-LD on the air in a while. Have tried rescanning twice in last week but no luck. I'm only a couple miles from their transmitter and haven't had reception problems in the past. Anyone picking up a signal from them?
Yeah, they went off again several days ago. I decided not to keep posting again and again if they can't stay on the air stably. Hopefully, they'll come back soon. When they do I'll post that info if they stay on for at least 2 weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WLUK in Green Bay moved to VHF 12 at 10am today.... I wonder if anyone now receives WISC any better now? and hopefully it paves the way for them to be able to increase power.
Still no signal for me on Ch 3. Trying a rescan now. Will wait until I see more posts on this to climb up on the roof and try rotating the antenna.
Fingers crossed that they will increase the power.

6021 - 6040 of 6077 Posts