AVS Forum banner

Madison, WI - HDTV

732K views 6K replies 397 participants last post by  avidandrew 
#1 ·
Hey central Wisconsinites. I think we need a thread to discuss HD issues for the Madison, Janesville, Wisconsin Dells areas.

I'm in Sun Prairie, about 20 miles from the Madison towers. OTA, I'm receiving HD ABC, CBS, NBC & PBS and non-hd digital Fox and UPN. Does anyone know if the WB affiliate (out of Janesville I believe) is broadcasting a digital transmission?

Also, FYI, I received an e-mail response from an engineer who works for our Fox Madison affiliate. He states they plan to have their equipment ready to pass along the HD Fox feed scheduled to begin late summer/early fall.

Hope there are a lot of contributors to this thread.

-Chad G

#4,986 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/19976579

Not to get involved in a mini-feud, but I suspect his method of resolving it would be to not cover up the network programming in the first place.

Correct. Other than emergency crawls (school closing not included as those are available on websites), no craswls, no snipes and no damn bugs (from either the network or the station).

Hour programs would be no shorter than 45 minutes.

You want to announce a change in programming, do it during the commercial breaks.

#4,987 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymo /forum/post/19976642

But, I think the Packer team bringing the Lombardi trophy back into Lambeau field serves the community and will get higher viewership better than a TV show... a one time, fairly huge event trumps it... (yeah, it's a replay, but I'll bet it'll win the time period)

While it probably did bring in some extra viewers, WKOW may have been stuck as to when to be able to replay it. All of the stations airing it, including the source WFRV, did so at 9pm (I suspect they had to use the sat feed, but no proof one way or the other).

My daughter and her family went to the event. Got there at 2:45 and left at 4:30. Even as Packer fans she thought it was boring.

She was even interviewed by WFRV on Friday: http://www.wfrv.com/news/local/Some-...115368199.html

One of the main complaints by parents was that the school district had two weeks to put together a letter to parents, but sent one home with the kids on Friday, the weekend before Monday. The note about school should have been sent the Friday before, giving working parents a week to find child care. They screwed that up.

Quote:
I can't say I wasn't cursing the DVR late on Friday night while watching Fringe because Charter keeps having issues on FOX HD.

I don't know where the analog output monitor video is set during the midday, but maybe try looking at that, or maybe even the promo feed signal to see if you can see the backup feed from LA to Texas, around noon our time.

Or maybe watch it OTA

#4,988 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/19978640

While it probably did bring in some extra viewers, WKOW may have been stuck as to when to be able to replay it. All of the stations airing it, including the source WFRV, did so at 9pm (I suspect they had to use the sat feed, but no proof one way or the other).

Yeah, my guess is they had to run it then as part of the "packer television network", but that's just a guess too.

#4,989 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/19978640

I don't know where the analog output monitor video is set during the midday, but maybe try looking at that, or maybe even the promo feed signal to see if you can see the backup feed from LA to Texas, around noon our time.

Or maybe watch it OTA

Charter as one receiver that feeds the "617" and "8" channels on their system, something in their chain between the receiver and the distribution for their HD channels freezes/locks up outputs no video (or just freezes on last video) They say it's fixed now. So yeah, I only have it recording that channel at home... thank god for other means of getting the show.

Last night's issue... problem with a cooling loop... off air for 30 mins. Charter had a backup receiver in line with auto-search on, and when our signal went out, it scanned to CBS. NIIIICE. But we can't rebroadcast Glee because of residual issues. Bummer. (wouldn't have been HD anyway)

#4,990 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/19978557

Correct. Other than emergency crawls (school closing not included as those are available on websites), no craswls, no snipes and no damn bugs (from either the network or the station).

So we MANDATE internet access for parents?

Hell, weather is available on the internet too. Come to think of it, so are most of the network programs. Hell, dump the TV.... problem solved.

Guess Mr. Video will be lurking on the bit.torrents rather than this antiquated OTA forum

#4,991 ·
Hello fellow Madisonians

I moved to Madison 2 years ago, and have been using Chart cable TV until recently started thinking about getting HD TV. I am renting an apartment around the UW campus, but I was just notified by the managing company that it is against the "regulations" for me, or most of the city of Madison to have a dish to receive satellite TV, such as Charter or DirecTV. Is this true? I guess there must be a very good reason for the city or whoever to "ban" satellite TV. May I ask how do you guys watch HD TV in Madison?

I am paying $55 a month for the cable TV alone (none digital) plus the internet. I went to the Charter website, and in order for me to upgrade to Charter TV in HD (there is only one HD option), I have to pay $55 extra, which would make my monthly total as $110 to watch HD. Is this a joke? I could easily pay $40~50 a month to get a decent satellite HD package from Dish Network or DirecTV. Can you guys help me out to choose a HD provider (if I even have a second opinion)? Thanks in advance.

#4,992 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborland /forum/post/19980174

So we MANDATE internet access for parents?

Hell, weather is available on the internet too. Come to think of it, so are most of the network programs. Hell, dump the TV.... problem solved.

Let's see.... you are assuming that everyone has a TV. Bad assumption. Parents can either call the school or their school district office to listen to the recording. Oh wait, they might not have a phone.

There are other ways to find out if the school is closed.

#4,993 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonian /forum/post/19980732

I moved to Madison 2 years ago, and have been using Chart cable TV until recently started thinking about getting HD TV. I am renting an apartment around the UW campus, but I was just notified by the managing company that it is against the "regulations" for me, or most of the city of Madison to have a dish to receive satellite TV, such as Charter or DirecTV. Is this true?

They are full of crap. Cities cannot ban dishes.

Do you live on the side of the building with a southern exposure? Are you in the ground floor, or an upper floor with a balcony?

Federal regularions pretty much allow you to install a DBS dish in your common area (without causing physical damage to the building).

#4,994 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborland /forum/post/19980174

Guess Mr. Video will be lurking on the bit.torrents rather than this antiquated OTA forum

I don't do bit-torrents. i have other sources.

As a side not, which I've posted here before...

The ATSC standard is extremely subpar. There was so much opportunity to be had with the digital medium, but it was squandered. All of the weather stuff could have been totally missing from out screens. If they would have been thinking, the emergency info could have been sent to the TVs as digital graphics and text. When public info needed to be provided to viewers, a small yellow (non-emergency) or red (emergency) square would appear in one of the corners. The viewer could then, at a time of their choosing, switch the screen to a display containing said information. Upon viewing the info, upon return to the program, the square would dissapear until the info was updated.

No maddening scrolls, no screen covered graphics, etc. Even Fox47 would be able to do this without having to mess with the HD programming.

But no. we are stuck with the antiquated method of plastering the screen with stuff we can't get rid of, when we had the ability to get it right.

#4,995 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonian
Hello fellow Madisonians

I moved to Madison 2 years ago, and have been using Chart cable TV until recently started thinking about getting HD TV. I am renting an apartment around the UW campus, but I was just notified by the managing company that it is against the "regulations" for me, or most of the city of Madison to have a dish to receive satellite TV, such as Charter or DirecTV. Is this true? I guess there must be a very good reason for the city or whoever to "ban" satellite TV. May I ask how do you guys watch HD TV in Madison?
No, it isn't true. As mrvid told you, if you have an area you control, such as a balcony, that faces the proper direction (basically south or southwest), under fcc regs you can add a dish and the building owners can't stop you. You could add an over the air antenna to such an area under those regs too if you need one. The city has no ordinance against it either. If you don't have that sort of area that faces the right direction for sat, you are left with cable or over the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonian
I am paying $55 a month for the cable TV alone (none digital) plus the internet. I went to the Charter website, and in order for me to upgrade to Charter TV in HD (there is only one HD option), I have to pay $55 extra, which would make my monthly total as $110 to watch HD. Is this a joke? I could easily pay $40~50 a month to get a decent satellite HD package from Dish Network or DirecTV. Can you guys help me out to choose a HD provider (if I even have a second opinion)? Thanks in advance.
Which HD channels do you want? If you only want the locals, you can get those now with a direct connection to cable and a TV with a QAM tuner or an antenna if you can get reception at your location. I believe almost all new HDTVs have a QAM tuner now, but you should double check the specs before you buy. If you want other channels and a DVR for them, you would have to get the charter box or a sat service. If you only want the other channels, you could a sat service or a charter cablecard if the TV has a slot for it.

Check any charter bundle deals - those may be comparable to sat prices but only if you lock in a promotional price for 6 months or a year. Some people get the promotion price and when the promo is about to run out they call and threaten to drop the service unless they extend the promo, which may or may not work.

Right now, I believe Dish Network has the best price for a HD package - Dish America basic/bronze is $29.99 a month. You have to ask for it by phone; last I checked it's not shown on their web site.

#4,996 ·
Thank you so much both mrvideo and whosbest1

I think you are right. The 'regulation" to not allow satellite TV was set by the managing company (Madison Property), so I guess it's just one of the rules they set to avoid complications. By the way, thanks for the reminder though, I realized my apartment (not even a window) is facing south, so I guess the satellite TV probably won't work.

Dish Network does have the deal for $29.99 a month, but since I pretty much have to stick with Charter, I will see what Charter can offer in HD. I mainly watch HD in sports. I am having a small HD tv set, and I can grab local TV channels in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), and all I need right now is ESPN in HD, which won't come free. I will see what Charter people will say about their package. But still, the price I pay for Charter HD will be significantly higher than for the satellite TV.

Thank you guys. Still, any suggestion or comment will be appreciated!

#4,997 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonian /forum/post/19983679

I mainly watch HD in sports. I am having a small HD tv set, and I can grab local TV channels in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), and all I need right now is ESPN in HD, which won't come free. I will see what Charter people will say about their package. But still, the price I pay for Charter HD will be significantly higher than for the satellite TV.

I believe you can still get ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN Classic all in SD analog now. Seems like a lot to pay just to get ESPN in HD, but I hear you. Check out the bundle prices for HD and internet - see if they will make a deal with you for a promo price and threaten to drop the service if they don't make a deal. They don't have to know that sat isn't an option - you can say it is.

Oh, I forgot, ATT Uverse may be an option for you too, but I've found they aren't that much better for pricing than charter. Might be worth a phone call.

#4,998 ·

Quote:

I pretty much have to stick with Charter, I will see what Charter can offer in HD. I mainly watch HD in sports. I am having a small HD tv set, and I can grab local TV channels in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), and all I need right now is ESPN in HD, which won't come free. I will see what Charter people will say about their package. But still, the price I pay for Charter HD will be significantly higher than for the satellite TV.

You really need to call, the online thing is usually screwed up. Whatever package you get, you get the HD channels with it, but there is an upcharge for the HD box, I think 10 bucks, or 15 if it's DVR.If you already get ESPN in analog, your package is fine... you just have to get one of their boxes. Or buy a Tivo or Moxi, but there's quite the expense there.

#4,999 ·

Quote:

I think you are right. The 'regulation" to not allow satellite TV was set by the managing company (Madison Property), so I guess it's just one of the rules they set to avoid complications. By the way, thanks for the reminder though, I realized my apartment (not even a window) is facing south, so I guess the satellite TV probably won't work.

Dish Network does have the deal for $29.99 a month, but since I pretty much have to stick with Charter, I will see what Charter can offer in HD. I mainly watch HD in sports. I am having a small HD tv set, and I can grab local TV channels in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), and all I need right now is ESPN in HD, which won't come free. I will see what Charter people will say about their package. But still, the price I pay for Charter HD will be significantly higher than for the satellite TV.

Good Morning!

We can definitely help you work out an HD package that will work for you. Please send a PM with the name, phone number, and address on the account and we'll be happy to go over the options that we have

Thanks,

Dylan

#5,000 ·
If you are a Jeopardy! fan, you know that they are currently airing the Teen Tournament. If you aren't a regular watcher, well., they are airing the Teen Tournament

On tomorrow's show (first of the three semi-finals), airing on WMTV at 4:30, there is something that happens that I've never seen happen before, either by kids, teenagers, or adults. And something else almost happened, to which I have no clue as to what they would have done because of it.

Tune in, see what I am talking about.

#5,001 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/20051461

If you are a Jeopardy! fan, you know that they are currently airing the Teen Tournament. If you aren't a regular watcher, well., they are airing the Teen Tournament

On tomorrow's show (first of the three semi-finals), airing on WMTV at 4:30, there is something that happens that I've never seen happen before, either by kids, teenagers, or adults. And something else almost happened, to which I have no clue as to what they would have done because of it.

Tune in, see what I am talking about.

so... what was it?

#5,002 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymo /forum/post/20058226

so... what was it?

You didn't watch?

1) During Double Jeopardy! The first person to get a Daily Double bet it all, and not a small sum either. The risk paid off. The next Daily Double was found by another contestant. Considering that it was an all or nothing thing, in order to move on, she too bet it all. Another risk that paid off. I've never seen it done that late in the game. Daily Doubles during the first round are a dime-a-dozen, just not during the second round.

2) During Final Jeopardy! the first two contestants got it wrong and had bet it all. With the third, the potential was there for all three to end up with zero $$$, as she too got it wrong. But, she didn't bet it all, unlike what she did with a Daily Double.

A very interesting game.

#5,005 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy /forum/post/20082300

Also, whose insurance covers the shattered windshields?

Is there any auto coverage that doesn't cover windshield replacement/repair?

#5,006 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/20082478

Is there any auto coverage that doesn't cover windshield replacement/repair?

Sure, but if it was my car, why should I have to pay the deductible (and subsequent premium increase) for damage from a hazard created by the WMTV tower? (Not really sure of the wisdom of having a tower that close to the beltline to begin with, but that's a whole other conversation).

#5,007 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy /forum/post/20082517

Sure, but if it was my car, why should I have to pay the deductible (and subsequent premium increase) for damage from a hazard created by the WMTV tower? (Not really sure of the wisdom of having a tower that close to the beltline to begin with, but that's a whole other conversation).

No detuctible. No one that has ever had a windshield fixed/replaced that I've ever met/known, including me, has ever had a cost associated with having it done. No rate increases either. It is a hazard (if not illegal in this state) to drive with a broken windshield. It is cheaper to fix/replace the windshield than it is to pay later because of an accident resulting from the damaged windshield.

Now, if falling ice were to damage the car body, that is another story. The insurance company might go after the owner of the tower, which isn't WMTV's parent either, it is WBUW's parent.

When the first tower went in, it was shorter, less surface area, and the highway was two lane, not heavily traveled.

#5,009 ·
^^^^

Well, almost the same spot. I was surprised at how close the two towers were to each other. I never did try it, but I probably could have stretched out my arms and touched both towers. I suspose I could still try that, considering the bottom segment of the old tower is still there.

As for getting it approved, I asked the Acme boss that. Don't remember exactly what he said, but in a nutshell, no one in the area spoke out against it. It was quietly, but legally, done. There are no residents in an area that would be affected by a collapse, as it is either land the station is on or the baseball fields. I doubt that anyone in the area even knew about any hearings regarding it. I didn't find out until afterwards as well.

As for the beltline closing as a result of falling ice, wasn't yesterday the first time that happened?

At least it didn't turn into a problem like Denver, which literally took an act of Congress to get their new tower put up. The people out there in that area were nuts.

#5,010 ·
Hi -

Moving to Shorewood Hills/Madison this June and had a couple questions regarding HD service.

Landlord says at my address my options are Uverse and Charter (I'm not interested in a satellite option).

questions -

1) Internet is most important - sounds like both charter and uverse have this covered with comparable plans; max speed on charter sounds like it might be higher. Anyone know if the 60/5 Ultra Charter plan is available in shorewood hills?

2) The real reason I'm asking a question in this thread - I'm use to cable HD (Mediacom in Iowa, Comcast out here in the Northeast) and have heard that Uverse's streams are heavily compressed. I'm not that picky, but I live for HD college football every fall and would be depressed if Uverse HD sports looked blocky etc.

Any words of wisdom?

- bald