AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanna ask is the quality that madvr can produce affected by the number of stream processors (cuda cores) of the card like the more the better?or it's irrelevant of the picture quality?

·
Registered
864 Posts
the number of cores will mainly determine the quality of the deinterlacing if you are gonna use hardware deinterlacing with lav cuvid.

I mean, sure it also affects the quality of the upscaling and whether you can use full 16 bit processing, but I think all modern nvidia cards are powerful enough to do that right.

·
Registered
864 Posts
are you buying a new card, or do you already own that one?

You could probably manage with the 210, but if you're shopping for a new card, I would pay extra for like an asus gt 520 (at least for the DTSHD and truehd bitstreaming capability) or some passive 6450 and use software deinterlacing with it.

I think alot of ppl here would recommend you go even further and buy a 440 or 450 (i forget what the prefix is on those lol), and use hardware deinterlacing with them.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The 520 is inadequate for use with MadVR. The 440 is about as low as you can go.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I would not suggest a GT210 but Fry's had some in their weekend add for $12 after rebate. Those cards don't bitstream.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnifehr
Hey I had the Asus gt440 and upgraded to the 550ti as the 440 would still drop some frames on certain content.
Which contents? Are you using LAV splitter + LAV CUVID? Which LAV splitter/CUVID/madVR version did you use when you used to see dropped frames?

I am interested because I would like to recommend the best card for madVR to other people.
The latest madVR is improved greatly and hardware (i.e. GPU) requirement is lowered.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Also note that the 440 with GDDR5 is much faster for graphics then the one with DDR3. The only thing is that only the DDR3 variant comes in half-height, which may persuade some HTPC folks to get it instead...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Thanks for the post Renethx, Madshi and Nevcairiel. I downloaded, installed and registered madVR .74.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20903727

Which contents? Are you using LAV splitter + LAV CUVID? Which LAV splitter/CUVID/madVR version did you use when you used to see dropped frames?

I am interested because I would like to recommend the best card for madVR to other people.
The latest madVR is improved greatly and hardware (i.e. GPU) requirement is lowered.

I use the latest versions of MadVr, CoreAvc for decoding and then I use avisyth and mvtools along with ffdshow for speeding up all my content to 60 fps for that super smooth fluid like picture. With the GT 440 it only dropped very seldom but seldom was to much for me, and it mainly dropped where ever there was alot of water involved in the picture. (it was the ddr3 version)

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
So

LAV Splitter -> CoreAVC -> ffdshow+AviSynth (frame interpolation) -> madVR
That's not a normal context where we are talking about madVR. Saying "the 440 would still drop some frames on certain content" without mentioning this is not good (in particular if you use dll from SVP). Moreover DDR3 vs GDDR5 makes a big difference. Not mentioning this is not good either.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20904493

So

LAV Splitter -> CoreAVC -> ffdshow+AviSynth (frame interpolation) -> madVR
That's not a normal context where we are talking about madVR. Saying "the 440 would still drop some frames on certain content" without mentioning this is not good (in particular if you use dll from SVP). Moreover DDR3 vs GDDR5 makes a big difference. Not mentioning this is not good either.

So Rene what is the recommended card for madvr? Is it the gt440? You mentioned the requirement in gpu power has gone down, is a 430 still not enough?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
GT 430 DDR3-1600 should be enough for every content with LAV Splitter + LAV CUVID + madVR. AFAIR, the transition madVR 0.65 -> 0.66 made a difference.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I will answer because I have made these questions to Rene a lot of times.

For progressive material even a 430 will be fine.

The problem is hardware de-interlacing.

The real thing is how much bd-disks you got with interlaced material and which cpu your Own.

If your CPU has power, you can

Play interlaced material using yadif

( software de-interlacing except vc1i)

Rene has done some advanced research for using hardware decoding + de-interlacing, and that's why he

Suggests 440 with GDDR5.

This is an awesome combination but it needs a lot of gpu power.

For vc1i blurays arcsoft decoder/EVR will need less power.

Edit: I just saw that Rene already replied

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.